Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper 1 (HL)

Options
  • 07-06-2007 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

So what did people think??

Comprehensions were quite nice. Easy enough. One or two slightly tricky questions in the second one, but nothing too bad.

Essays were nice enough too. I did the very last one. The speach about Homeless People. Just started with Dia Dhuit, wrote an aiste as normal and ended with Go raibh maith agat!

Overall Im very happy. Hope we get a nice P2 tomorrow now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

i didnt like the choice of essays at all. Just randomly picked the greed and dishonesty of young people aiste. no idea why. only realised half way through that i had nothin today!!

Does anyone else think 2hrs 50 is way too long for paper I??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

went very well. very easy sceal (tacaiocht) and the comprehensions were a doddle. except one of the question in the second comp. something about hawthorne insulting the irish immigrants or something. hadn't a notion what it was about:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Leamhthuiscint's were great. As the op said, the second one had one or two tricky questions. As for the essay, a lot of people were complaining about the choices but like the OP, I did the speech and made a pretty good job of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

The comps were sweet. The aistes were tough, no death on the roads essay :eek:! I did my best with the 'People have no control over their lives' essay. Whored on about the usual stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Yes.. although i did stay in for the whole thing.. took my time, read over the paper about 4 times. Found mistakes each time!!
    except one of the question in the second comp. something about hawthorne insulting the irish immigrants or something. hadn't a notion what it was about
    I think that was in the extract from something he wrote. In italics above his photo. He was saying how did they did any slave job, and had a fondness for whisky!
    Leamhthuiscint's were great. As the op said, the second one had one or two tricky questions. As for the essay, a lot of people were complaining about the choices but like the OP, I did the speech and made a pretty good job of it.
    Great minds think alike ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

It is a bit, the two leamhtuiscints took me an hour leaving almost 2 hours for the essay. Its probably too long but it is relaxing knowing you've so much time unlike English paper 2 where you have to go in there with the finger out and lash into essays as quick as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Ya but that keeps you awake and not half asleep. I sat there for most of the time thinkin about what to write in my essay!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

It went grand for me. I did the scéal I had prepared and applied it perfectly to the tacaíocht question. After the two comprehensions I did the díospóireacht on how he don't control our lives these days and then finished with 50 minutes to spare. So ha! "Exam suicide" my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

An-sásta freisin. I did the speech too. I took up half a page at the beginning saying that it was nice to be here speaking...yadda yadda yadda.... and it went very well, I think.
    I spent twenty minutes at the start writing down the points I could remember from an essay I did on poverty before. I actually think it's great having all the time. I was able to read over the comprehensions lots and translate them, work out all the answers etc. Started the essay at three, finished it at four fifteen and spent five minutes going over it. I was the only one still there, which was kinda unnerving, but I had some mistakes, so it was worth it in the end!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Yeah, i thought it was ok. didnt do spectacular but not too bad. was really disappointed with the essays, not just because road deaths didnt come up, just thought they were very boring topics. was practically falling asleep in the last 1 1/2 hours trying to think of stuff to write! did the thing bout how we have no control in our lives, it was a bit of making some stuff up on the spot, so probably lots of spelling mistakes, but well over the 700 with some good pieces of irish so happy enuf. comprehensions werent too bad, tried my hardest to put them into my own words, but i totaly suck at them in general so not too hopeful. lovely aural but i should done better, cuid c was a bit of a disaster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭opinionated

All in all, I thought it went pretty good but the second comprehension was dodgy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I did the speech as well but i'm only after realising now after listening to the radio that it was at an international thing, and i was going on about how we need to get the government to give more support and the simon community and saying that i'm sure everyone heard about what happened recently when an old homeless man was found in the liffey(made up of course). Oh **** just thinking its going to totally mess it up, good thing 80% of the marks are for the irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

ah i was delighted with how easy it was, i finished an hour early so i had time to drive to Tralee for McDonalds and be back in time for the listening :D

i did the essay on young people's dishonesty and greed.. I just wrote about drugs and alcohol and said these problems are the cause of it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

I wrote my general Daoine Oga essay, went on about the education system and the pressure they are under. Half of it was praising them, half of it was saying they were awful anti-social things! Very messy, prob loads of mistakes, euggh. 2nd comp was disgusting I thought. Aural not great either. I'd say I passed though.... hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Anyone do the seanfhocail sceal? Casue its one of the few times i understood one of these. A nice easy story there too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bebop!

Would someone mind posting the meaning of what the speech question about Daoine Gan Dídean was so i can really find out what a mess of it i have made!! :(

playa3 wrote:
    I did the speech as well but i'm only after realising now after listening to the radio that it was at an international thing, and i was going on about how we need to get the government to give more support and the simon community and saying that i'm sure everyone heard about what happened recently when an old homeless man was found in the liffey(made up of course). Oh **** just thinking its going to totally mess it up, good thing 80% of the marks are for the irish
    No, you were speaking to an international group of something or another. You had to base your talk around the problems with the daoine gan dídean i mBaile Átha Cliath. I gave a brief synopsis about what my organisation did at the start, started on about the problems and finished with a "WE NEED MORE MONEY YIS BASTARDS" plea. All in all, I think it was solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Nice paper, nothing hard. Did the climate change essay and got about 3 and a bit pages done. I stayed right to end as well, as I have done on all the papers thus far and I plan to do the same on the rest as well.
    So far (including the cluais.) 3 things have come on Galway. Woot.

bebop! wrote:
    Would someone mind posting the meaning of what the speech question about Daoine Gan Dídean was so i can really find out what a mess of it i have made!! :(
    You are the Head (or CEO, something along those lines) of an organisation which helps homeless people. You've to talk to some sort of international group in Dublin about this problem in Ireland. Write the speech you'd give.

That's the jist of it.

My essay was reaching a bit of a cul de sac and I was trying to find a way to convince this character to go out. I didnt know what t say so I just made up a love interest on the spot! My story is so silly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bebop!

thanks ,,havent a clue!..well maybe im not totally wrong I gave a speech about homelessness in Ireland ,,, but i kept sayin what we have to do to fix it that it was the irish governments fault an all dat ,,, it was kinda directed to an irish audience rather than an international audience ,, hopefully it'll be ok:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

The story options were very open. You could actually talk about anything. I pretty sure I got near 90 marks in the story. A great deal better than my 30/100 I got in the marks. Stupid examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Was I the only one who did the TG4 essay? Wasnt bad at all, easy to talk about in detail also.

Overall happy with Paper 1. Although slightly less confident over Paper 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 CosaFada

what did you write about!?i started it but ran out of things to say!!

paper 2 is about knowledge and im much better at that than bloody writing good irish so paper 2 is preferable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

No, you were speaking to an international group of something or another. You had to base your talk around the problems with the daoine gan dídean i mBaile Átha Cliath. I gave a brief synopsis about what my organisation did at the start, started on about the problems and finished with a "WE NEED MORE MONEY YIS BASTARDS" plea. All in all, I think it was solid.

Ahhh thats alright then,pretty much what i did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emmerson

Hey all can I clarify something I took the Níl smacht ara shaol debate and I think I took it at another angle, I took it up as there is not enough discipline in peoples lives...spoke bout students often not being disciplined enough to study until the last minute (own personal experience!) and how they spend so much time on Bebo/watching TV etc, then went on to discuss drivers on the road (had to get it in somewhere) and their lack of discipline when it comes to speed and therefore death on roads etc, then bout polititions not being disciplined when it comes to jeopardising their jobs cos they borrow money from people etc and finally ref to discipline not being the same in schools as it was a decade r two ago...am I way off the mark here? I now realise most people would have brought in the whole control as regards alchohol/drugs/crime etc...? Help!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Captain Smiggy

Waffled about stadas na gaeilge for a while then talked about TG4 is unbiased and whatnot.....not three bad, maybe 60/100....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

CosaFada wrote:
    what did you write about!?i started it but ran out of things to say!!
    I just focused on some of the programmes and how they give an "insight" into different aspects of life.

Started off with ros na rún, went on to talk about hector and then how they're starting to show some sport events. Just said that the wide range of programmes give us a different view of the world through Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I did climate change essay. Manged to write about Kyoto Agreement, Power of One, c02 emissions, the weather and ice and An Inconvenient Truth. Was afraid it wasn't 500 words, but it was 588 :) Went back over it and corrected loads of mistakes, don't think the red pen can find a lot of fault with it tbh.

Comprehensions were grand, boringly long, and there was one part that was slightly dodgy, but the answer couldn't have been anything else so.. Managed to twist most of them into my own words also.

Don't think I'm out of the running for the A2 I want yet...Paper 2 could suck completely though :/

Advertisement