Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Request] Going to Dubai - What to watch out for?

• 07-06-2007 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im off to Dubai for a few days soon and I was just wondering if any of you had any good bargains to speak of?

Im hoping maybe to pick up a new camera, or a good pair of sunglasses. What else could I expect to watch out for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Trotter wrote:
    Hi all,

Im off to Dubai for a few days soon and I was just wondering if any of you had any good bargains to speak of?

Im hoping maybe to pick up a new camera, or a good pair of sunglasses. What else could I expect to watch out for?

I was there last year and thought that it would be better for electronics but it wasn't. I bought a pair of Oakleys for around €70-€100 cheaper than here, but you could get similar bargains via the web. Clothes were like for like. The real bargains are to be had for the women folk expecially those women that like sparkling shiny objects. The Gold Souk and the Diamond Market would be places to go if one was interested in a life sentence. The Duty Free in Dubai Airport is very good. Make sure you buy some booze upon entering the country, there a small duty free after you disembark. It's dirt cheap, 1l bottles of 12yo whiskey for around €18. I bought a box of cigars for ~€140 which is a bargain given the same box costs around €400 here, although they only costs ~€180-€220 on the web. The cost of beer and wine in Dubai is a joke but cocktails are fantastic value. I ended up buying a couple of bottles of booze and another box of cigars on the way out as well.

I was in Dubai in August last year and the temperature was hitting 47-50c. It was like walking into an oven when we left the airport and that was at night. We were up in Jebel Ali and the water was fantastic for swimming. Don't walk anywhere as you'll be dripping in sweat within seconds. Get taxis they're dirt cheap. The shopping malls are a way of life there.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rhodney

i worked in dubai for a year..nice place, warm climate.gold souk in sharjah is cheaper than in dubai main center...perfumes along naif road are also cheaper compared here, also running shoes (nike/adidas).....
    bargain blank cds/dvds/ or computer parts, you'll find them in bur dubai, they call it computer street...

Advertisement