Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mathematics: Paper Two Predictions

Options
  • 07-06-2007 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Would like to see peoples predictions here. There's a lot more on this paper to learn off by heart....if you're doing Trig. anyway, but overall...I think it's the tougher paper...Like with english where most people were spot on....would there be nay likely predictions for this paper...would help people especially me a lot.

I think that a Binomial Calculus question is likely.
    The circle proof.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭______

this is meant to be the "difficult" one, in the mocks this was 22 of my 29%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

______ wrote:
    this is meant to be the "difficult" one, in the mocks this was 22 of my 29%
    Theres not really any "tricky" questions that can come in paper 2, which means itsn ot really a tricky paper, once you learn it you'll be able to do the questions

but i didn't learn it.

trig is lovely, didn't even know what the word meant when i done the JC, got absolutely everything on the paper right, that cockiness was my downfall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Who cares if it's difficult???? STOP discussing that....people want predictions...can people deliver them please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

By 'people' you mean you??

• Advertisement

i predict probability, trig, the circle and that one with with integration by parts will all come up

Lucas10101 wrote:
    Who cares if it's difficult???? STOP discussing that....people want predictions...can people deliver them please?
    Any smart person knows that the amount of predictions that can be made for maths is minimal other than using common sense to know whatll come up based around exam papers.

______ wrote:
    but i didn't learn it.

trig is lovely, didn't even know what the word meant when i done the JC, got absolutely everything on the paper right, that cockiness was my downfall
    I learnt maths paper 2 in a day or 2 last year, I messed up paper one and it was suppose to be my good paper. Ended up getting most of paper 2 right, or it seemed right anyway

well probability can be a bitch cos you think yoiu have it right, then you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I punt Cosine Rule

Trig Identies as usual.

Difference Eqt

Standard deviation

Normal stuff but with an added twist here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

sorry, could somebody show me an example of a binomial calculus question, the name doesn't ring a bell.... thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

in relation to standard deviation i found out a shorter way to do it, the box thingy always confused me. this might help some of use.

what you do.

square the five or six numbers that are use to calculate the mean.
    add all these numbers (which you have just squared ) up and get the mean of them.

get the mean of the numbers that are on the page ( the numbers you squared) and square it.

minus the smaller number from the bigger number and get the square root of your answer.

this gives you the standard deviation with out doing the box.

an over view:

get the mean of the numbers squared - the mean squared and get the square root of your answer.

if you have any problems wit this just pm me.

ok, I think you're wrong but a simple test will tell...:
    mean = 3
    standard dev = root10

by your method : 1+4+9+16+25 = 55
    mean of squares = 55/5=11 -> 121
    121-55=66 !=10...

mean of numbers squared = 11
    mean of original numbers = 3
    mean of sqrd sqrd - mean sqrd=121-9=112 !=10 ....

Seriously, I don't get it...

cocoa wrote:
    sorry, could somebody show me an example of a binomial calculus question, the name doesn't ring a bell.... thanks.

It's the Binomial Expansion in Calculus where you use for example the square root of 1+2x and use normal maclaurin to evaluate the general series and that. I haven't seen it on in years. It's the same as Exponential only you differentiate a square root normally in those questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Lucas10101 wrote:

I don't really in predictions for Maths (H) however it would be nice to see some predictions from yourself!

Lucas10101 wrote:
    I think that a Binomial Calculus question is likely.
    The circle proof.

This was in my first post? Maybe you didn't read the text :rolleyes:

These are the main two I have seen that seem likely as they haven't been up in years and te last few have been there in the last few years repeatedly recently. The circle theorem seems likely for this reason as well.

Erm...from anything else, I can see the Trigonometric Idenities and the proof of the Cosine Rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I'm gonna learn it all, in 2.5 days along with biology. **** predictions

Nehpets wrote:
    I'm gonna learn it all, in 2.5 days along with biology. **** predictions
    Thats the way I did it:D Except I hadn't looked at the paper before the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 uss.education

:D
    Hey Guys!

Hope the exams are going well for you. For more info on exam preparation and for the latest news visit http://www.uss.ie

We will try to update the Education Office main page each Afternoon after the two exams for both JC and LC

We would really like to hear from you and how your exams went. The easiest way to contact us is by email education.uss@gmail.com or post a direct reply here.

Good Luck with the Studying: confused:

ND
    USS EDUCATION

***All comments welcome on your exams***

education.uss@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Wow I didn't know there a union! bit late now

• Advertisement

Whats the circle proof?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

cocoa wrote:
    ok, I think you're wrong but a simple test will tell...:
    mean = 3
    standard dev = root10

Seriously, I don't get it...

is the standard deviation of that not route two:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Bluefox21 wrote:
    is the standard deviation of that not route two:eek:

WHich is why hes debunking this way of getting the standard dev.

no... more like, which is why you shouldn't do standard deviation in your head....

mean = 3
    deviations = 2,1,0,1,2
    square = 4,1,0,1,4
    add = 10
    divide by 5 = 2
    root = root2

thanks for spotting the obscene blunder there...

lol no prob ;) any other tips thanks to this iv just learned circle formula and binomial through maclaurin anything else I should look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Bluefox21 wrote:
    lol no prob ;) any other tips thanks to this iv just learned circle formula and binomial through maclaurin anything else I should look at?
    Binomial through Maclaurin :eek: dear jebus whats that?

Seems the Difference Equation proof is being tipped hotly.

lol its ok basically prove the expansion its in the back of texts and tests five...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭melsman

to prove the perpendicular distance formula looks likely, it hasnt been asked in years, maybe the formula for a tangent to a circle centre (0,0) aswell

yeah your prob right someone said a proof for the linear transformation was due aswel that would really mess me up!

• Advertisement

Bluefox21 wrote:
    yeah your prob right someone said a proof for the linear transformation was due aswel that would really mess me up!

They are pretty standard anyways so I wouldn't worry too much about them. They usually will give you a hint on how to approach them so it can be pretty easy!

Advertisement