Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam results

• 07-06-2007 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when we are supposed to get(and how we get)our exam results?

I heard roughly the end of the month.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 LivingDead

I'm not sure what date they are out, but I would guess around the end of this month.

Log on to sit.ucc.ie to get your results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 essjay

Log on to UCC home page, click on current students, on the drop down menu click on exams, exam results on the next menu and you'll arrive on a page where issue dates by faculty can be found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

http://www.ucc.ie/admin/registrar/examsrec/issuecomm.shtml

I remember two years ago they were available online a day before the stated date. Was that an accident or is it always the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Thanks for the help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

how'd you do?

• Advertisement

As I expected - got 60+ in my favoured subjects(History and Politics) and flunked Philosophy(which I think I now have to repeat).

Yourself?

passed english and psych, failed philosophy and politics :(
    so i'l see ya in the repeats!
    i didnt show up for any class tests so it was bound to happn:)

BTW Roberta what do you make of this 'additional one hour repeat examination in lieu of the continous assessment (in class test)must also be taken in Autumn' :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

My results

Developing Skills for Economic Analysis : 80%
    Reasoning and Persuasion in Economics: 78.5%
    Macroeconomics: 76.5%
    History: 65%
    Microeconomics: 60%
    Data Collection and Analysis: 53.5% :mad:

Overall i got 69.2%, im absolutely miffed i didnt get a 1st, i had averaged 75% all year.

havent been on this in ages,
    ya whats with that? i passed those tests, im guessing i still have to sit it tmrw?
    have you done anything for it? i havent even startd:o

• Advertisement

Yeah we have to do it. Short questions on Existentialism, Philosophy of Mind and Ethics.;)

any tips for tmrw??! :)
    i'm so screwed, dont think i'l ever learn to study in advance!
    what do you thinks gonna come up?
    i'm doing Justice
    Bad faith
    Functionalism&Behaviorism
    Feminist ethics and one other ethics topic, not sure which though...
    i prob should cover more, just dont have time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Hi, I'm doing Pharmacy this September, but just wondering are the exams split over the two semesters, i.e Half in Christma Exams and the rest at Summer?

Thanks.

Lucas10101 wrote:
    Hi, I'm doing Pharmacy this September, but just wondering are the exams split over the two semesters, i.e Half in Christma Exams and the rest at Summer?

Thanks.

The norm in UCC tends to be a 20% continous assessment split between xmas and spring exams, with a mix of projects as well. Though some courses have a 40% CA rate. The remainder is then assessed in the summer examination. You can find out more details at the 'book of modules' section of the UCC website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Do we have to choose some modules, or are they all compulsory for us.

why not try ringing the department? you can find most of these answers on the ucc website hidden somewhere, but its prob easier to ring.
    this thread is about exam results and repeats.

roberta c wrote:
    any tips for tmrw??! :)
    i'm so screwed, dont think i'l ever learn to study in advance!
    what do you thinks gonna come up?
    i'm doing Justice
    Bad faith
    Functionalism&Behaviorism
    Feminist ethics and one other ethics topic, not sure which though...
    i prob should cover more, just dont have time!

I haven't a clue as to whats coming up. I'd guess they won't repeat the same topics as summer but I'm not sure.

TBH I'm fairly confident. Unlike in summer I've actually spent the past fortnight studying and have every section covered. If I have to repeat first year I'll be beyond pissed...

Anyone know when I might get my repeat result back?I did the exam on the 30th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Carolus Magnus

http://www.ucc.ie/admin/registrar/examsrec/issuearts.shtml

Some time after the 10th of September, going on that.

I suppose getting my result so late (18/19th Sept) will not affect my ability to get into History and Politics classes in second year?

• Advertisement

It shouldn't do. If you remember that piece of paper that was posted out with the results, it mentioned how students who did repeat exams could expect to register up to a week after those who passed all the summer exams (presumably with no detrimental effects, as I don't see them warning about certain module choices not being guaranteed, like the subjects in first year.) There's never any problems with demand anyway. I'd say a lot of chaff has been separated from wheat with respect to both of those subjects at this stage anyway. It'll be a far cry from the 350 odd students who took up history in first year at least.

Are you majoring in either Politics or History, or is it joint honours?

It shouldn't do. If you remember that piece of paper that was posted out with the results, it mentioned how students who did repeat exams could expect to register up to a week after those who passed all the summer exams (presumably with no detrimental effects, as I don't see them warning about certain module choices not being guaranteed, like the subjects in first year.) There's never any problems with demand anyway. I'd say a lot of chaff has been separated from wheat with respect to both of those subjects at this stage anyway. It'll be a far cry from the 350 odd students who took up history in first year at least.

Are you majoring in either Politics or History, or is it joint honours?

I do remember it, but can't seem to find it.Should I have registered for second year and for the History and Politics modules already then?I was waiting for my repeat result to return.

I'm doing joint honours anyway.

I rang the english department yesterday n they said theres no problem gettting the subjects you want in 2nd year, so i'd say its the same for history.
    i havent registered for anything yet, im pretty sure we wait for the results.

I do remember it, but can't seem to find it.Should I have registered for second year and for the History and Politics modules already then?I was waiting for my repeat result to return.

The academic council wouldn't let you enroll for the coming year without having gotten 60 credits, so I'd say there's no need to worry. You'll have to wait for their final decision on your grades. There's one way to check for sure, and that's to log on to SIT using student number and PIN, and click on Student Administration, then Registration. If the option has been made available to you, then go ahead I'd say.

It probably hasn't though. It's available for me now though, and I presume it is for everyone else who passed 1st Arts in the Summer. It came online late too. Was due to be ready for September 10th, but only went live yesterday morning. So, +/- the week that the sheet mentioned for students awaiting repeat results, then I'd say that it's normal that you're expected to register on the 18th/19th.

Majoring in History myself. I'll see you around anyway I think, as history has a lot of compulsory modules.

The academic council wouldn't let you enroll for the coming year without having gotten 60 credits, so I'd say there's no need to worry. You'll have to wait for their final decision on your grades. There's one way to check for sure, and that's to log on to SIT using student number and PIN, and click on Student Administration, then Registration. If the option has been made available to you, then go ahead I'd say.

It probably hasn't though. It's available for me now though, and I presume it is for everyone else who passed 1st Arts in the Summer. It came online late too. Was due to be ready for September 10th, but only went live yesterday morning. So, +/- the week that the sheet mentioned for students awaiting repeat results, then I'd say that it's normal that you're expected to register on the 18th/19th.

Majoring in History myself. I'll see you around anyway I think, as history has a lot of compulsory modules.

No bother, I'll wait until I get my result back which, barring an absolute disaster, will be a pass.

TBH I'm just hoping I don't have any 9 a.m. classes in second year. ;)

There's nothing more disheartening than to have gotten up early to get in for the 9am lecture, only for Geoff not to be there, and the bugger to think nothing of walking in 20 minutes late, and maybe having a quick scan of the Irish Times and his bank statements too before he starts in to the lecture >_>

It's a mug's game so it is. A mug's and mature students' game. That last shower always like to get their front row seats so they can fawn over the lecturers, have their appropriately timed chortles heard loud and clear, and so that they're audible when they want to chime in about "Well, in my experience . . ." Jayze some of them are old enough to remember the course content :mad:

Any of the history modules jumping off the page for you at the moment? I know anyway that modules to the value of 20 credits are compulsory in Joint Honours, so you're left then with two 5 credit options to pick.

There's nothing more disheartening than to have gotten up early to get in for the 9am lecture, only for Geoff not to be there, and the bugger to think nothing of walking in 20 minutes late, and maybe having a quick scan of the Irish Times and his bank statements too before he starts in to the lecture >_>

It's a mug's game so it is. A mug's and mature students' game. That last shower always like to get their front row seats so they can fawn over the lecturers, have their appropriately timed chortles heard loud and clear, and so that they're audible when they want to chime in about "Well, in my experience . . ." Jayze some of them are old enough to remember the course content :mad:

Any of the history modules jumping off the page for you at the moment? I know anyway that modules to the value of 20 credits are compulsory in Joint Honours, so you're left then with two 5 credit options to pick.

Not that im one of those people, but do you realise in real universities lectures are more like an open forum or seminar? As opposed to a bunch of people in a room hastily scribbling notes that they already have in their text books. I think the way lectures are conducted in UCC are amateurish and pointless. Its more like a school than a university.

I can appreciate a bit of to and fro between the lecturer and the student, provided it's either a genuine question or actually anything other than an extended exercise in bull**** and sycophancy by one party. The stuff that some of them come out with is infamous and just holds up everyone else from doing what they came there to do; to listen to the lecturers.

There's micro-teaching for actual proper Socratic method, debate and the like, at least in the history department, and the hint that's given is that that is the more appropriate outlet for that sort of thing. What's more, the most cringe-worthy thing you could hear off a mature student is 'in my experience'. As I heard about one Philosophy lecturer (from a different University) when he was confronted by the exact same line, he managed to quickly get "Which doesn't matter ..." in there. That shut them up to be sure.

I just don't get it. If they felt their experience was so vital that they had to inveigh at that point in the lecture against a professor in the field, then you have to wonder what the point was in turning up. They surely must have reckoned when signing up for the gig that they're there to learn from people who know more than they do.

I take a different view of the lectures themselves, I'm not one for the scribbling down of notes like mad either (and vindication comes in the lack of need for notes I felt when preparing for exams this year), I'm there to look for pointers and such. So that I can suss out what exactly it is I need to read, or might need to take a look at. That's the most essential bit of information, and after that I just sit back and enjoy the thing. Some lectures (and lecturers) can be genuinely interesting. They're ultimately of limited value of course, but I don't really see how the system can be indicted. U.C.C. is surely no exception to any norm?

I can appreciate a bit of to and fro between the lecturer and the student, provided it's either a genuine question or actually anything other than an extended exercise in bull**** and sycophancy by one party. The stuff that some of them come out with is infamous and just holds up everyone else from doing what they came there to do; to listen to the lecturers.

There's micro-teaching for actual proper Socratic method, debate and the like, at least in the history department, and the hint that's given is that that is the more appropriate outlet for that sort of thing. What's more, the most cringe-worthy thing you could hear off a mature student is 'in my experience'. As I heard about one Philosophy lecturer (from a different University) when he was confronted by the exact same line, he managed to quickly get "Which doesn't matter ..." in there. That shut them up to be sure.

I just don't get it. If they felt their experience was so vital that they had to inveigh at that point in the lecture against a professor in the field, then you have to wonder what the point was in turning up. They surely must have reckoned when signing up for the gig that they're there to learn from people who know more than they do.

I take a different view of the lectures themselves, I'm not one for the scribbling down of notes like mad either (and vindication comes in the lack of need for notes I felt when preparing for exams this year), I'm there to look for pointers and such. So that I can suss out what exactly it is I need to read, or might need to take a look at. That's the most essential bit of information, and after that I just sit back and enjoy the thing. Some lectures (and lecturers) can be genuinely interesting. They're ultimately of limited value of course, but I don't really see how the system can be indicted. U.C.C. is surely no exception to any norm?

Yeah i completely agree there, it is pointless when some old fart starts going on about some anecdote of his. But sometimes i have a genuine question and when i ask it i get chorus of 'tuts' coming from the back row. The vast majority of people going to UCC seem to think that they are there just to shut up and listen, and that every theory put forward is concrete and unquestionable. Also, the lecturer is viewed as some kind of demi-god, whose judgement should never be called into question. This kind of culture irritates me.

• Advertisement

But sometimes i have a genuine question and when i ask it i get chorus of 'tuts' coming from the back row.

That's just not on. Gosh, I'd never be against someone raising a genuine question and the behaviour of that lot is just unacceptable. I would imagine it varies a bit. In some places you get an almost churlish, school-house atmosphere like that, and in others there's a bunch down the front row who take it upon themselves to engage in the most downright cringeworthy sycophancy imaginable. I got more of the latter than the former, certainly.

There was nothing more excruciating this year, than when a certain gaggle of women, with presumably feminist tendencies (that congregated mysteriously across a few of my subjects), liked to ooh, aah and belly laugh whenever a lecturer covered material from a bygone age that was anti-feminist. A collection of sneering harpies so they were, all scribbling this down furiously, and thinking themselves so superior. Gosh, people in the old days, how pea-brained they were! That sort of thing got right on my tits. Then there were the ones who thought they were so very clever and that they'd caught the lecturer out. They hadn't of course, and the courteous dressing down they got communicated that much loud and clear.

I agree with you though. Certain lecturers just will not brook dissent of any kind, and the vast majority of people are engaging in a transcription exercise that they think is a form of learning, when it's nothing of the sort. Definitely more of the tutorial style of learning could be provided, but well there's things that mitigate against it. Like the fact that in the tutorials that are run, the silent transcribing majority don't get the purpose of them and thus eh, make the tutorials useless. It was me, another fella my age, and (hey hey) a mature student this year that spoke up in tutorials of about 15 people. In another batch, just me. That and the humanities haven't been getting great funding out of UCC for some time now.

Advertisement