Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam results

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

There's nothing more disheartening than to have gotten up early to get in for the 9am lecture, only for Geoff not to be there, and the bugger to think nothing of walking in 20 minutes late, and maybe having a quick scan of the Irish Times and his bank statements too before he starts in to the lecture >_>

:D Is this Geoff the Stalinist we are talking about or who?;)
    Any of the history modules jumping off the page for you at the moment? I know anyway that modules to the value of 20 credits are compulsory in Joint Honours, so you're left then with two 5 credit options to pick.

Ah yes, I should probably check out next years modules.TBH I wanted to continue with my Cold War history but that seems to be impossible.Modern European history tends to be my favourite subject, but it doesn't really seem to be that well represented in History next year. Irish history tends to leave me cold, as does a lot of the dark/middle ages stuff.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Carolus Magnus

Is this Geoff the Stalinist we are talking about or who?

The very man. You know, he actually participated in an online seminar of Soviet-Era historians about Barbarossa that descended in to what could be put mildly as a flame war. Christ, the antipathy amongst some of them was seething. I must find the link. 'Twere gas when I read it first. Felt sorry for him too, he was a bit outnumbered!

He's on the record as saying that he always abhorred Stalin's methods, and even in his radical communist phase back in the 1960s/70s, opposed totalitarianism. However, as a historian, he is compelled to tell the truth, warts and all, as he sees it. Mind you, I started to get a little unnerved by his eh, 'devotion' as you could call it ;)

As for the stuff on the cold war, there is definitely a US Foreign policy option. It's mostly about post 1968 American conceptions of themselves and their country though. Sounds a little flakey, and too focused on Reaganauts and social history for my liking. Mike Cosgrave is running an interesting module about War, State and Society since 1450. Machiavelli, standing armies, weapons technology and such. You can tell he used to be a wargamer >_>

HI2031 is also interesting. No end of year exam in it as far as I know, and involves a trip to Rome. Focuses on links during the middle ages between Ireland and Rome. Though, mind you, that sounds like your worst nightmare.

Edit - And dare we mention it of course, but Geoff does twentieth century Russian history in second year. You know the drill. Your Leaving Cert. textbook from Lenin onward. And with Geoff never changing the exam papers. Hoho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

The very man. You know, he actually participated in an online seminar of Soviet-Era historians about Barbarossa that descended in to what could be put mildly as a flame war. Christ, the antipathy amongst some of them was seething. I must find the link. 'Twere gas when I read it first. Felt sorry for him too, he was a bit outnumbered!

He's on the record as saying that he always abhorred Stalin's methods, and even in his radical communist phase back in the 1960s/70s, opposed totalitarianism. However, as a historian, he is compelled to tell the truth, warts and all, as he sees it. Mind you, I started to get a little unnerved by his eh, 'devotion' as you could call it ;)

As for the stuff on the cold war, there is definitely a US Foreign policy option. It's mostly about post 1968 American conceptions of themselves and their country though. Sounds a little flakey, and too focused on Reaganauts and social history for my liking. Mike Cosgrave is running an interesting module about War, State and Society since 1450. Machiavelli, standing armies, weapons technology and such. You can tell he used to be a wargamer >_>

HI2031 is also interesting. No end of year exam in it as far as I know, and involves a trip to Rome. Focuses on links during the middle ages between Ireland and Rome. Though, mind you, that sounds like your worst nightmare.

Edit - And dare we mention it of course, but Geoff does twentieth century Russian history in second year. You know the drill. Your Leaving Cert. textbook from Lenin onward. And with Geoff never changing the exam papers. Hoho.

Great lecturer.

So I've heard. He comes highly recommended from several people I know, and seeing as the stuff he lectures in seems very interesting he was a shoe-in for one of my options.

By the way Orizio, had a read of that sheet again, and it says that you can expect to register a week after the repeat results appear (not a week after the rest of us.) Going by that reading of it, that would mean you'd be registering at the start of the first week (around the 25th) :confused: Seems awfully late. There should be no problems though.

Second Year Timetables are after going up too. Seems like good news regarding 9am starts for history at least (and only one 9am start for Politics that I can see.)

http://www.ucc.ie/en/CollegesandDepartments/ArtsCelticStudiesandSocialSciences/InformationforCurrentStudents/Timetables/DocumentFile,20334,en.pdf

And the first week is even scantier this year for me. All the introductory lectures on a Tuesday :p
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/CollegesandDepartments/ArtsCelticStudiesandSocialSciences/InformationforCurrentStudents/Timetables/DocumentFile,40591,en.pdf

And this might be of interest to you Orizio. There are two America based options. And there is a meatier foreign policy one amongst the two (HI2030), although it seems to dwell on historiography in a way that might get tedious.

http://www.ucc.ie/academic/history/pages/Undergraduate/Second+Arts+Options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Any idea where the 3rd year timetables are?

• Advertisement

So I've heard. He comes highly recommended from several people I know, and seeing as the stuff he lectures in seems very interesting he was a shoe-in for one of my options.

By the way Orizio, had a read of that sheet again, and it says that you can expect to register a week after the repeat results appear (not a week after the rest of us.) Going by that reading of it, that would mean you'd be registering at the start of the first week (around the 25th) :confused: Seems awfully late. There should be no problems though.

Second Year Timetables are after going up too. Seems like good news regarding 9am starts for history at least (and only one 9am start for Politics that I can see.)

http://www.ucc.ie/en/CollegesandDepartments/ArtsCelticStudiesandSocialSciences/InformationforCurrentStudents/Timetables/DocumentFile,20334,en.pdf

And the first week is even scantier this year for me. All the introductory lectures on a Tuesday :p
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/CollegesandDepartments/ArtsCelticStudiesandSocialSciences/InformationforCurrentStudents/Timetables/DocumentFile,40591,en.pdf

And this might be of interest to you Orizio. There are two America based options. And there is a meatier foreign policy one amongst the two (HI2030), although it seems to dwell on historiography in a way that might get tedious.

http://www.ucc.ie/academic/history/pages/Undergraduate/Second+Arts+Options

Aren't we starting again on the 24th? :confused: Seems insane frankly. Might have to make some phonecalls after I get my result to see whats happening.

Other then that, HI2007, HI2029, HI2030 and HI2032 are the ones that really stand out, although the communist eras in both China and Russia could be interesting. The US Foreign Policy class with Dave Ryan is the only must tbh. Why do we have choices on the Balkans and nothing on something more relevant to today like Islam's history?

I guess the closest we got to that was the East/West module last year. And that was one lecture out of twenty-one at that (and I guess the crusades as well, and the option you could have taken about Pilgrims and Crusaders.) The Balkans might touch on the problem. A lot of the tension in the region came from the fact that due to the history of Ottoman occupation, there was a sizeable Muslim minority. Sounds like a bit of a bore otherwise though.

HI2029 and HI2007 are my two options anyway I've decided. HI2029 looks like it could be pretty good as Damian Bracken is fairly interesting and as a big area of interest for me is Catholic Church hierarchy and such. HI2031 can be done again as HI3111 in third year, so I thought I might leave it open as something to consider for then. I wouldn't be adverse to a trip to Rome. And entirely assessed by coursework too.

No I certainly can't register yet. Simply get the same message I was getting before I got my repeat result on Tuesday.

So what exactly am I supposed to do for next week? Assuming I can't register until next tuesday, is there any point in me going into college next week?

Well SIT registration is currently down until tomorrow morning due to demand, so it says on the site: http://www.ucc.ie/en/sit/Text,41455,en.html so don't panic yet.

If your registration can't go through until next week, I'd still turn up to the introductory lectures, because your registration will eventually be sorted out, and the information in them is given out only once. You should have only 2 anyway.

You passed though, I presume? :)

• Advertisement

Ah alright, so even if I did get to register before next monday I would still have only two introductory lectures in History and Politics anyway?

Thats fine then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Having read some of the posts up here I thought I'd nip in too!

I'm majoring in history too going into second year and, as I am fiercely interested in modern Russian history, the first module that I picked for history was Geoff Roberts one!

I did David Ryan's course last year and I enjoyed that so I've picked his module too - he's an entertaining lecturer I think and to be honest, I never really regretted having to get in at 9am on Friday mornings for his lectures.

That must be a good thing!

Cool, another person who's majoring in History. This research project looks like being the toughest part of it all, to be honest. Haven't an idea of what I plan on doing for it specifically, but my area of interest would be in the medieval and church end of things. Don't know how we go about getting supervision either. It'll all come together. Hopefully.

So apparently I can register what progremme I want to do, but not the module/subjects. :rolleyes:

I get this message...
    No subjects are currently loaded for registration, either you have completed your registration or no qualification registration has taken place.

Which I don't quite get.

Other then that, I've decided to do HI2030 (Historiography and US Foreign Policy) and HI2032 (Force and Statcraft) because they seem to chime in some way to what I did last year (Cold War) and relate to what I hope to do in politics(Violence and War:A Philosophical Analysis, Political Theory of the State and Civil Society).

Anybody els doing scond year Politics?I have two different times, dates and locations for the introductory lectures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

can you register?! i havent heard a thing about it yet, they wont let me on ucc direct..
    i got a letter about politics and that said the introduction is tmrw at 3 in the Pharmacy building, so im guessing thats it!

I am in the process of registering right now Roberta.

The UCC website has a different time for the introduction. Apparently its at Boole 4 on Monday the 25th at 3 p.m.

Finally registered. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

you mean yesterday?! balls..
    where did you see that on it?

Advertisement