Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impulse bought a .IE domain, help required!

Options
  • 07-06-2007 7:16pm

As the title says I bought a .IE domain (under Discretionary Name status). As the title suggests I didnt know the backward restrictions the IEDR still impose on domains are still on the go.
    He is what I got from Hosting ireland:
    Thanks for your application, in order to continue the IEDR (IE Domain Registry) require information from you showing your claim / connection to your proposed domain.

This means that they want to know what you are planning on doing with the site, and how this relates to ireland, and also why the proposed domain name is a suitable choice.

Has anyone gone though this process before. Looking at the site is pretty confusing (they want me to fax them something ffs).

Is there any boiler plate application I can use and modify? Anyone with any tips on this?

Comments

Bump anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭girldef

Well it depends. You have to have some hold over it so if you want johnmcsomething.ie you need a passport to show you are that person or if you want ballysomethingorother.ie you need to have proof of this address.
    Can you give an idea of the type of name your going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Ask Hosting Ireland if they have a boilerplate.
    They took your money!

By the way, having a passport with a name on it will only entitle
    you to a domain name made up from your initials and a number
    unless you're a politician or qualify on a small list of other reasons.

If it's a name you've a legitimate claim to it'll work out OK.
    If it's a name you don't but somebody else would, it won't.

I've never gone with the Discretionary name excuse, though
    I've succesfully pursued about a dozen .ie domains for people.
    Pity they're such swines, but the procedure has advantages.

They'll want the fax on letterheaded paper too if you don't want them querying it :-)

girldef wrote:
    Well it depends. You have to have some hold over it so if you want johnmcsomething.ie you need a passport to show you are that person or if you want ballysomethingorother.ie you need to have proof of this address.
    Can you give an idea of the type of name your going for?

Yeah I believe thats the case with names, businesses etc I went for the discretionary option.

Basicly I want it for a vanity page for bloggin or something else in the future.

I picked a pretty meaningless name on its own but with the ".ie" at the end it makes a word. I can't see anyone having an intrest in it comercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭girldef

ronoc wrote:
    Yeah I believe thats the case with names, businesses etc I went for the discretionary option.

Basicly I want it for a vanity page for bloggin or something else in the future.

I picked a pretty meaningless name on its own but with the ".ie" at the end it makes a word. I can't see anyone having an intrest in it comercially.

Well on the IEDR website they say
    We require a detailed letter from the applicant outlining their claim on the proposed domain name. If the applicant is a registered company or has a registered business name, please supply the registered numbers within the letter.
    (Ignoring the reg bus name part) And...
    Where the applicant is a natural person: The applicant must provide adequate documentary evidence of a correspondence address within the 32 counties of Ireland (the island of Ireland) and the applicant's legal name. Acceptable documentation would include a copy of the applicant's passport, birth certificate or citizenship certificate.

So i would write a letter explaining that you want to use the domain for blogging, and the reason is because with .ie it makes a word. Then also include proof of address and passport. By their own guidelines you should be able to get it. Try!

Thanks,
    J

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kerplunk.

From October 31 2007 the IEDR are relaxing rules on the registration of personal names for the .ie domain, please see the IEDR Press Release

For a full list of the IEDR requirements for other types of .ie Domain registration please click here

The IEDR have fairly strict rules in place for the .ie domain in comparison to other domains such as .com, .net etc. It makes the registration of an .ie domain more expensive and but it also prevents things like cybersquatting or domain name profiteering where scammers register domain names and then try to sell them on at higher prices

Advertisement