Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours home ec!!!

Options
  • 07-06-2007 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Home ec tommorrow, personally i think lipids, the fridge and a b vitamin might show up, anybody heard anything? im starting to freak out:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 eireplaygirl

IM freakin out i tink ill take pass paper but dnt no wat wil cum up any ideas for wat i shud be learnin?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I dont do home ec...but i was just listening to the 2FM show, they were sayin stuff about an iron table, RDA's, a meal for lack of iron, something to do with a will, and some other stuff which i cant remember!

Best of luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 -rach-xx

My teacher has said that Work should come up in the social studies elective.
    She also believes that marriage should come up. The fridge and lipids, and a B vitamin too! fingers crossed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

A lot of predictions going around our school. Most people are saying the fridge OR dishwasher, B vitamins, lipids, and food legalisation.
    Others are work, poverty & a will.
    Good luck to ye all!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 doria gray

Thanks everybody thats a great help, i have about 2 hours between irish and home ec for some cramming!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

I'm screwed and haven't done a tap in home ec in the past few months. I'm half thinking of dropping to pass if I can now, I have a history of getting As when dropping to pass when I otherwise might fail honours :(
    is the paper VERY different? I know people who dropped to pass maths and failed because of the differences. will this cause any complications with the journal, cause I assume that was different for honours and pass and I already did honours all year :(

i'm just going to learn lipids, marriage and attempt the b vitamins now and hope for the best :(, certain chunks of the course I don't know at all

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

was anyone else disgusted with this paper??Where were the lipids?Where was vitamins??What type of social core question was that??Freaked, that was my A1 subject, now ill be lucky with a decent B!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

It was horrible!!!! I never saw sensory analysis in my whole life! And the one about "special needs"!!! I had to blag the whole thing, don't have a clue what i might have got!

lilmizzme wrote:
    was anyone else disgusted with this paper??Where were the lipids?Where was vitamins??What type of social core question was that??Freaked, that was my A1 subject, now ill be lucky with a decent B!!

I wasn't happy with the paper really at all either the first part of the compulsory was a bit sticky i thought the compare and evaluate the different type of breads and their contribution in the irish diet was a sucky question. Same with lilmizzme il be lucky with a high B, the journals better pay off :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rorymcn

Nobody in my year was happy with that paper. I know that *woman* said it was fine and so did the times the next day, but Nobody was happy. Loads of people are making official complaints to the sec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Splinkk

My worst exam so far.

The question ones are usually so broad, I was banking on iron and vitamins C, or Lipids, or even something like cereals.
    Folic Acid was so specific like!

Short questions were tricky, but they usually are.

I was hoping for some sort of B. Now I dont know what Ill get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I am so shocked. That morning I had this urge to read up on Folic Acid. Read up all the stuff on Wiki. So frikkin happy about that! Fridge was so easy. I blanked on some parts though like my elective so did the social studies one instead :S Hope I did it ok. I was writing like mad throughout and kept going on til the last second. Could have gone on had I had more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 originalcupcake

did anyone else find they were repeating themselves in the social studies elective part (a)?? i was ot impressed with it in the slightest! i thought the paper was grand up until then...it was unbelievably specific but thats the headwrecking nature of home ec for you...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

*Tripper* wrote:
    It was horrible!!!! I never saw sensory analysis in my whole life! And the one about "special needs"!!! I had to blag the whole thing, don't have a clue what i might have got!

I'm with you on that!! I did well in my pre's, concidering i have no teacher (did the practicles at the begining of the year, but was offered no classes) i did better than all of the class at school...

but this test was awfull, i was advised by a reliable source that dissability wouldnt come up, that it had been up a year or 2 ago.. The worst by far, so far!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I found it terrible too :(
    Especially the short questions...and was really stuck for time..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Glad to see that the local school here wasnt the only one having difficulties with this exam. The Home Ec teacher stated that "What was on the exam was not covered in our book" and admited it was a tough exam. There were two home ec classes, neither liked the paper.

At first I thought it was just the local school as the press said it was OK - clearly not. What happens now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 weluvujoe

I was fully expecting an A1 but will now have to settle with the B i think :( There was stupid question Son the paper, and that social studies one was rediculous, it was very hard not to yourslef repeat yourself. I also didnt like the Q1 mandatory question about bread. I thought it was a bad question to ask as it wasnt very clear. I ended up writing over an A4 page of stuff on it so surely I will get the marks for it!!! I thought the short questions werent bad but I saw nothing on the paper about microbiology???????? All my time wasted learning crap from that tedious chapter gone to waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I agree with a lot of whats been said... I think it was a very mixed paper, in short...

Compulsory Q: I really liked this one... because I knew about Folic Acid from it coming up in the DEB Pre, THANK GOD...I would have literally melted there and then if I hadn't.... also, the first part (the table) was just comparing one type of bread with another, didn't need any preparation, just needed you to write a lot... it was okay.. then the questions on starch I really liked... and the folic acid/fortified foods part was great...

50mark Qs: Very strange choices.... A FULL question on the refrigerator, the most obvious and predicted question of all.... Gift from God if you ask me...although a lot of people didn't seem to get the Star Rating.

The other Q I did was the Sensory Analysis... This was absolutely delightful if you'd studied it... like I had... I think I may be the only one in the country who answered it though :D It's such a small and ignored section in the book... If you think about it, giving it its own question is really quite ridiculous. But I'm not complaining! It was easy... especially parts B and C, which were just 'Name' and 'Example' questions, and to list the conditions for sensory analysis.. The Q could easily be done in 10-15 mins

Coronary Heart Disease Q was okay.. I avoided it because of the cholesterol part. And wtf was with that Social Studies Core Q? What a joke... I was expecting to do that, it being the easiest part of the course.... but no. :(

and the Social Studies Elective...heh... as previously pointed out, it was impossible not to repeat yourself. I left myself way too little time to do this. The Leisure part (c) was lovely, too bad the part (a) was such a load of nonsense.... why do they do this to us!!!!

Short Qs...ehhh... I really wish they would ask a few more on things that are actually in the book!! A few things I didn't like....
    -The advantages of flexible films... and what initiative? What did everyone say? I said they were lightweight and less expensive than other materials... I said recycling plastics by firms in their packaging for the initiative
    -Pot Roasting?? wtf. Why couldn't they just have asked roasting!
    -Albumin.. ehhh... it's a HBV protein in eggs... what else can I say???

Oh yeah, An Bord Bia!!!!! I actually got this from guessing, but I was sooo pissed off when it came up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Gossip_girl

Yet another A1 subject gone to ****e!

Didn't like the bread part in Q1 but i waffled for a bit and it was grand. I had the DEB pre so i was well prepared for folic acid! Otherwise i would've been soooooooo screwed!

Ended up doing the conary heat disease question evn though i had never revised it!

Did the special needs question as well even though i've never done that part of the course due to not having a teacher since half way through 5th year! It's a miricale i passed really!

Thought the elective could've been better as well.

It either went okayish and i got a high B or the examiner might hate all the waffle and i could get a D?

Short questions weren't as bad as usual though, they're normally impossibile for me!

well the good thing is that alot of people seemed to have trouble with the social studies elective which means the marking schemes will be to our favour..

and dont forget about those journals that we painstakingly wrote up...theyre worth 20% so at least all hope isnt lost for those who are looking for an A...*fingers crossed*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

well the good thing is that alot of people seemed to have trouble with the social studies elective which means the marking schemes will be to our favour..

and dont forget about those journals that we painstakingly wrote up...theyre worth 20% so at least all hope isnt lost for those who are looking for an A...*fingers crossed*

i like your thinking.

Just out of interest speaking of the journals did eveyone split the lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

I didn't split the lines, I really did not feel there was a need for me to.

md99 wrote:
    i like your thinking.

me too!! :D rationalisations galore!!

I split the lines too, my teacher corrected it then and i rewrote it out..so hopefully tht means il get the full marks for that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

i, too, like your thinking!!! lolsex

Advertisement