Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to park my car in Galway?

Options
  • 07-06-2007 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I hope its ok to post this here!

I am going to Galway on Saturday morning and returning on Sunday. I will be staying with a friend who lives in the city centre so no parking where she is at.

Can anybody recommend somewhere for me to leave my little car. Preferably free and safe.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

you could park it at the greyhound track. It's 4 euro a day.
    There's also free parking along the road the city centre side past the greyhound track but being free, everyone will try park there. Then it's about a 10/15 minute walk to Eyre Square

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Try the carpark next to the garda station in Millstreet. Its only a few quid to park there for the day, and its free on sunday - so no need to get up early and move it on sunday morning! And being next to the cop shop, its pretty safe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Beside the Garda station isn't THAT safe!!!

I would avoid the Cathedral and Dyke Road carparks overnight, as you could be unfortunate as neither are well lit at night, or have a lot of people around.

I'd park in Jurys or Merchants Road carparks and suck up the cost; after all, you're saving on the accomadation so it should still be a cheap weekend. Both carparks are quite safe.

Alternatively, you could park out at the Corrib Heights or one of the other hotels on the outskirts of the city.

Beside the Garda station isn't THAT safe!!!

The one beside the cop shop I use myself a lot (granted only for a few hours on a saturday night), and never have had a problem. The multi-story on merchants road is very good alright if a tad $$$ - I use this quite a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

is there even an traffic officer in galway? i was there for 2 long weekends and just parked along the street both times, never got a ticket or had any trouble at all

• Advertisement

oh yes indeed - park in the wrong place or over-stay your ticket and you'll be clamped, e.g. along the dock road.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

JoeA3 wrote:
    oh yes indeed - park in the wrong place or over-stay your ticket and you'll be clamped, e.g. along the dock road.

yeah and on the dock an overstay could be as little as 1 minute!!!!

JoeA3 wrote:

was along the dock road one saturday all day parked, i did buy one parking ticket for the max 2 hours i think it was, but left it there all day, must have got lucky :)

i'd say just pay for the most secure car park you can find, it'll give you more peace of mind and you wont have to worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

JoeA3 wrote:
    Try the carpark next to the garda station in Millstreet. Its only a few quid to park there for the day, and its free on sunday - so no need to get up early and move it on sunday morning! And being next to the cop shop, its pretty safe :)

Is it handy enough to find? I have never been to Galway.

http://optics.nuigalway.ie/images/galwaymap.gif

a map of all the car parks in galway, i assume the police station is the place with po written over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

PO => Post Office

Cop Shop is on Mill Street, at the Dominick Street end, marked by star

draffodx wrote:
    http://optics.nuigalway.ie/images/galwaymap.gif

a map of all the car parks in galway, i assume the police station is the place with po written over it

Cool thanks! They look like pay parking though. My car needs to fend for itself from lunchtime Saturday to Sunday evening.

As I said, the one in millstreet is pay on saturday (till 6pm), and free thereafter for the rest of the weekend.

JoeA3 wrote:
    As I said, the one in millstreet is pay on saturday (till 6pm), and free thereafter for the rest of the weekend.

Oh right, excellent! Do you know how much they charge an hour up to 6?

very little, something like €3 for 2-3 hours (or is it all day?!) - can't remember exactly, but not a lot anyway :)
    The Dyke carpark on the headford road have similar pricing, but as Fey says, its a bit dodgy at night, and its further from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Just on the docks; that's actually private property, and the clamping is done by a private individual who tends to be quite ignorant. NUIG parking is also private, as are a few of the estates. Clamping in the city itself is pretty much gone, unless you're really extracting the urine; AFAIK, the clampers must be called by a warden or a garda.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A few years back I parked in the car park at the cinema on the Headford Rd. I got clamped because after wandering through the few crappy shops there we went into the town centre for an hour. Seemingly I was not allowed leave the centre - the signs visible when driving out said so!

Fey, whats the really tight car park - is it bridge st?

Fey, don't they still clamp in the aforementioned carpark beside the cop-shop and the Dyke if you overstay the ticket? I'm sure I've seen a few of the dreaded yellow clamps in those carparks recently!

JoeA3 wrote:
    very little, something like €3 for 2-3 hours (or is it all day?!) - can't remember exactly, but not a lot anyway :)
    The Dyke carpark on the headford road have similar pricing, but as Fey says, its a bit dodgy at night, and its further from the city centre.

Think I will head for mill street so. It isn't marked on this map though http://optics.nuigalway.ie/images/galwaymap.gif

Are any of the ones marked on the map expensive to park overnight. There are a couple of handy ones around Eyre Sq.

its not on the map alright, but its just there on mill street, before it goes onto the bendy bit on Presentation Road, right next to the police academy :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement