Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composite decking

• 07-06-2007 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Planning on getting wooden decking in the next 1-2 weeks.
    I had planned to go ahead with wood but than someone suggested composite decking.
    I got a few samples sent out and for the past month or so, the samples have been immersed in water, rain and exposed to sun and there was no change visible to the eye. I know it is quite expensive but sure, if it lasts for 20-25 years, it is fine.
    I live in Newbridge so was wandering if anyone knows any stockist or fitter to do the job. We are going for plain decking, without railings (13x14 ft). Any idea how much the whole thing may cost.
    Anny feedback greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,184 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Theres been a couple of threads here already about this topic in the last couple of weeks so you could have a look at those.

I dont think the search facility is working but trawl back over the last 3 or 4 pages and you should get some info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Just got a composite deck installed last week. I got the materials from O'Kellys/The Shed Man in Kilakee. The deck boards cost €61 sq. metre. The rails were the really expensive part, they worked out at €95 per metre.

I looks really well down, it doesn't look at all plasticly like some compostites can.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

masterK wrote:
    Just got a composite deck installed last week. I got the materials from O'Kellys/The Shed Man in Kilakee. The deck boards cost €61 sq. metre. The rails were the really expensive part, they worked out at €95 per metre.

I looks really well down, it doesn't look at all plasticly like some compostites can.

Master K, would any fitter of wood decking be able to fit the composite decking or is it more difficult.
    Could you recommend any fiiter please.
    If you want, PM me the details

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Any finished pics masterK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Any fitter should be able to do it.

I'll try and get some pictures over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I have been looking into decking too and I really don’t like the composite decking at all. It just doesn’t look realistic. I really like the durability if affords but to me it just doesn’t look great.

I’m probably going for Garapa Gold which I have seen in Brooks in Sandyford. It looks really well and comes in at about €41 sq m inc VAT. From what I have read online it is a pretty durable hardwood and really doesnt require much maintenance. Apparently it can be left untreated and will stand up to the weather pretty well.

Has anyone here used it?

Here's a bit of blurb on it http://www.highlandhardwoods.com/decking_Garapa.html
    http://www.eastteak.com/applications/decking/exoticdecking.html#Anchor-Garapa
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/porch/msg0920553026017.html
    http://eastteak.com/products/finehardwoods/garapa_data.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I enquired about this recently and a quoted approx €1150 plus vat for an area 28' by 9'.
    I also looked into hardwood and quoted €850 to cover the same area.
    No decisions made yet...

Google Walsh PVC deking in Limerick who provide some info on their website.

Just got a quote this morning for composite decking (Fendec).
    16x13 ft, supply and fit, no railings, very simple, a single step raise (the garden is sloped toward the house so to eliminate th need for digging it up, we decided to raise the deck about 15 cm).
    The price quoted was 5200 Euro!
    It seems way to expensive so wandering what you think.
    He quoted me 2200 Eu for plain, pressure treated wood (16x13).
    Thoughts...

EDIT
    Just called Fendeck and got the price of 2400 Euros for supply of the boards for the above decking.
    This tells me that the fitter was planning to make a huge profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

We used these guys , verry happy

http://picasaweb.google.com/decksappeal

k123456 wrote:
    We used these guys , verry happy

http://picasaweb.google.com/decksappeal

k123456,
    I do not think that it is appropriate to advertise your or other people's web sites/businesses here. The thread is for composite decking and the 200+ pics from the slide show contain everything but composite decking. There is garden furniture, fencing, flowerbeds etc.
    You did not even provide a phone number or address for the company you are showin off!
    People pay for advertising almost everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 adds

regedit wrote: »
    k123456,
    I do not think that it is appropriate to advertise your or other people's web sites/businesses here. The thread is for composite decking and the 200+ pics from the slide show contain everything but composite decking. There is garden furniture, fencing, flowerbeds etc.
    You did not even provide a phone number or address for the company you are showing off!

I wanted to get info on composite decking, and all I could see was adds about everything but ,composite decking ,when I want to get adds from Ireland only , every web page I click , is from England, cant seem to get all Ireland web pages, why is this ?

Just got a quote this morning for composite decking (Fendec).
    16x13 ft, supply and fit, no railings, very simple, a single step raise (the garden is sloped toward the house so to eliminate th need for digging it up, we decided to raise the deck about 15 cm).
    The price quoted was 5200 Euro!
    It seems way to expensive so wandering what you think.
    He quoted me 2200 Eu for plain, pressure treated wood (16x13).
    Thoughts...

EDIT
    Just called Fendeck and got the price of 2400 Euros for supply of the boards for the above decking.
    This tells me that the fitter was planning to make a huge profit.

I just got quote for composite decking 18" x 12" €2,100 , I will have my money back,in 4 years or so, as it would cost me about €400 a year to pay a man to clean, oil, & stain it, I 'm thinking it will be money well spent , what do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

k123456,
    You did not even provide a phone number or address for the company you are showin off!

Jeez... Lighten up. He was just providing pictures of a crowd that did a deck for him. He is hardly advertising since as you mention, he didn't even publically provide the contact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Phoenix11

Try Whiteriver Composite Decking from Wogans. You can get it in a lot of builders providers as far as I know and product looks good. You should get info on the web.

Planning on getting wooden decking in the next 1-2 weeks.
    I had planned to go ahead with wood but than someone suggested composite decking.
    I got a few samples sent out and for the past month or so, the samples have been immersed in water, rain and exposed to sun and there was no change visible to the eye. I know it is quite expensive but sure, if it lasts for 20-25 years, it is fine.
    I live in Newbridge so was wandering if anyone knows any stockist or fitter to do the job. We are going for plain decking, without railings (13x14 ft). Any idea how much the whole thing may cost.
    Anny feedback greatly appreciated.

I got a few quote on the web, very costly, my deck is 18"by12" to cover plane deck without railings, quote was €2.500 +

masterK wrote: »

where did you get it for that price ,as I was quoted €150 sq metre,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eunan1985

Try Whiteriver Composite Decking from Wogans. You can get it in a lot of builders providers as far as I know and product looks good. You should get info on the web.

i have seen white river composites at a show in belfasts kings hall, wasnt too impressed by the apperance of the decking,
    ive been looking into suppliers from the UK and deck25.com in tyrone have a very impressive website anyway.
    looking at doing an area 24ftx16ft in my house in south belfast, would love to see pics of other peoples composite decks and what they think a few years after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Damoh

Just wondering if anyone had used compostite decking...whats is like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jenniferjasper

Wonderful! Here is an extremely helpful article about the difference between green and sustainable!http://bit.ly/aJDCrc

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Clementine2010

has anyone gone for the composite decking, I'm thinking of getting it in grey all around the back of the house, quite a large area. At the moment I have wood decking and after 5 years it looks terrible and is lethal slippery! Just a bit worried it looks like plastic but I've seen some photos on deck 25's website and it look great in grey, I think the brown looks like plastic!

Anyway have no idea how much it costs yet as I've emailed about 10 suppliers and not one has emails me back yet, since Friday...recession?

• Advertisement
Advertisement