Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romanian beggers

Options
  • 07-06-2007 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

I'm so bloody sick of them. Was having lunch in Lemon today (Dawson st) and 6 came up in the space of 30 mins. They seem to be sending their kids in now to beg, when you're having a meal/drink its the most anoying thing in the world. I've gottento the stage now of telling them to f**k off. They're all over the place especially grafton st,dawson st.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055103897
    May as well keep all the bile in one thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'm so bloody sick of them. Was having lunch in Lemon today (Dawson st) and 6 came up in the space of 30 mins. They seem to be sending their kids in now to beg, when you're having a meal/drink its the most anoying thing in the world. I've gottento the stage now of telling them to f**k off. They're all over the place especially grafton st,dawson st.

Yeah, I much prefer the passive beggars - you know the ones that stay in one place and don't interrupt my life? Or the ones that are easy to pass by once you've gotten used to blocking their voices out (I find headphones a lifesaver in this situation).

I mean, that's the reason why I love Irish beggars. They just stand in the corner and keep themselves to themselves. I personally have never had an Irish beggar approach me for money - just the other day I wasn't approached twice by the same guy in the space of ten minutes on St. Stephen's Green. And a few weeks ago I wasn't hassled for "money for a hostel" while waiting for the bus on Westmorland St. Thank God for Irish beggars.

As for getting their kids to beg too, well that's just fúcking sickening. I mean again, it's why I love Irish beggars.

They'd never stoop to the level of forcing their kids to beg, or carrying their infant children with them as they ask for your change, sure they wouldn't? I mean, I've never crossing O'Connell Bridge and seen a couple of kids begging there, just like I've never been approached by a female beggar on Dawson St. holding her baby. Never. Ever. It just doesn't happen.

The reason for both of these things is that Irish beggars have got class, you see. They'd never stoop so low. As the saying goes, "they're poor but they're honest". Frankly, and I think the OP will agree with me here, what we need is more Irish homeless people on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Firstly, they're not Romanian, they're "Roma".

Secondly, using kids as begging props should be a deportable offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

It's only female Roma who beg, what do all the male's do, do they all have jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

I totally agree....romanians in general are lovely hard working people. These Roma are absolute scum. I also agree...getting kids to walk between lines of traffic and beg should lead to instant deportation. Dam scum the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Hate them. I think that if there's a kid begging with them then they should be taken off them, clearly they don't have the means to support a child if they're begging. Although they probably are actually rolling in it but then they shouldn't be scamming us out of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

It is indeed not romanians but Romas. It's a cultural thing, the women and children are forced to beg.

It's annoying to see them tarred as just "eastern europeans"; most of my eastern european friends detest Roma's more than Irish people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I'm not racist... but.

:| wrote:
    Although they probably are actually rolling in it but then they shouldn't be scamming us out of money.

Damn right - those asylum seekers get loads of money - tonnes of the stuff. Way more than the Irish get. Way, way more.

And they have really sophisticated scams too. I heard a story once from a friend of a friend about them. One of them came up to him and asked for some spare change and he said "ok", and put his hand in his pocket and gave them, like a euro or something. And then they walked off.
    These kinds of scam artists should be sent back to the warzones they came from tbh. They just haven't got the same class or decency as the Irish beggars.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,813 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Binomate wrote:
    I'm not racist... but.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Binomate wrote:
    I'm not racist... but.

Racism is a term which has been hijacked by the uberPC left to include sensible and justified dislike for social groups who's so called culture and traditions are entirely anathema to those of an integrated, progressive society.

mloc wrote:
    Racism is a term which has been hijacked by the uberPC left to include sensible and justified dislike for social groups who's so called culture and traditions are entirely anathema to those of an integrated, progressive society.

You're right - there's nothing racist about what these people are saying. It's not like they're expressing their disgust at one ethnic group for their actions while ignoring another ethic group who do the exact same thing.

These people's culture is all about begging, and begging with children. That's not the Irish way, though.

I mean, if it were, we'd all be the first to call them on it, right?

mloc wrote:
    I didn't even read what you wrote, but I'll assume you're a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Whats all this Roma craic? When did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

flogen wrote:
    You're right - there's nothing racist about what these people are saying. It's not like they're expressing their disgust at one ethnic group for their actions while ignoring another ethic group who do the exact same thing.

These people's culture is all about begging, and begging with children. That's not the Irish way, though.

I mean, if it were, we'd all be the first to call them on it, right?

Well done, you overloaded that sarcasm meter with every post you've written today.

The fact is, not one person here has had a good dealing with any of these Roma gysies/knackers/generally dislikeable people. I honestly dont care if you label me racist , so that saves you the need to post again.

As for your second paragraph, take out the childish sarcasm and its true. For christ sake, other romanians havnt even seen any of these people actually work before. It is in their culture to beg/steal/whatever. There are a certain percentage of Irish people who beg/steal etc, but not aywhere near the percentage as with Roma's.

So get off youy soapbox and stop defending the indefenceable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

If you think we Irish aren't very understanding of their lifestyle then you haven't talked to many other central europeans. They really hate them.

Binomate wrote:

Assume what you like. I dislike every Roma I've ever met, and if that makes me a racist, sign me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

MooseJam wrote:
    It's only female Roma who beg, what do all the male's do, do they all have jobs.

The men plays instruments like the accordian or trumpet................badly.
    I'm suprised you've never seen them

I'm going to assume you were only joking about them having proper jobs. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Do you work out the ethnicity of every person you meet? If not how do you know you didn't meet a Roma person who you liked but didn't know they were Roma?

Stekelly wrote:
    Well done, you overloaded that sarcasm meter with every post you've written today.

The fact is, not one person here has had a good dealing with any of these Roma gysies/knackers/generally dislikeable people. I honestly dont care if you label me racist , so that saves you the need to post again.

As for your second paragraph, take out the childish sarcasm and its true. For christ sake, other romanians havnt even seen any of these people actually work before. It is in their culture to beg/steal/whatever. There are a certain percentage of Irish people who beg/steal etc, but not aywhere near the percentage as with Roma's.

So get off youy soapbox and stop defending the indefenceable.

So I overdose on the sarcasm and you still don't get it? That says a lot about you.

Oh, and read up on the origins of the Roma before you try to justify your stance by claiming that you're not alone in taking it. (Here's a hint, they're not the same as Romanians or Romans).

And nice use of anecdotal evidence, by the way. That is, of course, unless you've got some surveys involving Irish and Romanian opinion on Roma, and have studied the rate of crime involving Roma people compared to any other ethnic group. If that's the case, maybe you could back what your saying up here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

Binomate wrote:

Dont take it out on him just because you cannot understand him...
    Surely racism implies an irrational hatred for a group of people... Hating somebody because they use their children as pawns to guilt people into handing over money it perfectly acceptable in my opinion. Also the aggresive attitude they take whilst begging also annoys me.. "Next time you try to wash my windscreen when i say no i'll run you over"

How can the government justify allowing them into the country when they have no assets, no work permits and so social welfare entitlements.. F*** off i say!

markk06 wrote:
    Dont take it out on him just because you cannot understand him...
    Surely racism implies an irrational hatred for a group of people... Hating somebody because they use their children as pawns to guilt people into handing over money it perfectly acceptable in my opinion. Also the aggresive attitude they take whilst begging also annoys me.. "Next time you try to wash my windscreen when i say no i'll run you over"

How can the government justify allowing them into the country when they have no assets, no work permits and so social welfare entitlements.. F*** off i say!
    You're defending a racist, you're obviously a racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

A lot of racism here like. And I notice someone saying the Eastern Europeans hate them, that is indeed true. They have the same problems in Lithuania or what have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

A few of them appear to live near me, used to get the bus to college and they'd be getting on it. Pocketfuls of change at the ready. I hate their blatantly ignorant attitude, kids screaming on the bus and climbing all over the place without so much as a word from the parent(s). Also, they had fairly up to date video mobile phones and gold teeth. If you are really as poor as you appear to be suggesting, sell your fcuking teeth!!

I always got the impression they had specific begging 'sites' they went to, because i've seen them on a couple of different bus routes.

Also, re: using kids as begging tools. a guy in my class in college was assigned to study merchants arch in 1st year. He sat there for a couple of days sketching and takin notes etc. he noticed there was a team of beggars (irish) that had a baby that they passed around. They did shifts begging in the arch with the baby. Still a disgrace, but not just the romas that do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

I don't know what you call it, ethnicity is not an issue but what is a hard solid fact is that since the new year the streets of Dublin City Centre have been flooded with dark skinned people in gypsy style dress who beg either by approaching people or sitting around with lost/deformed limbs on show or busk with trumpets and accordians or they are generally hanging around the streets with no particualr place to go.

the upshot is there are a lot more beggars/vagrants, of whatever origin, around Dublin these days, other parts of the country I can't speak for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Blondie86Star

Binomate wrote:

Thats real petty, I cant stand the way people are not entitled to state their opinions about certain groups in society, that lets face it are anoying f***ers, without being classified as racist

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Binomate wrote:

Quit trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thats real petty, I cant stand the way people are not entitled to state their opinions about certain groups in society, that lets face it are anoying f***ers, without being classified as racist

See this is my thing. If you were annoyed only because they were Roma then yeah you'd be a racist. However, if you are like me, and detest anyone forcibly begging or demanding money from you then you're not a racist imho.

The problem is that people start generalising out beyond that and talking **** which is what gets people's backs up.

Edit: That all said, I've had Irish and British guys annoy me by begging so it does happen. Although, it's only ever happened to me in Dublin.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I dont see it as racism at all. Walking through town at around 5 every day is like an assault course trying to avoid them. They are very aggressive in their begging. I gave one lady some change one day and she started shouting "MORE MORE" pointing at my wallet. She had a kid begging with her aswell. While I was dealing with her a couple more came up behind me and started shouting at me in some strange language. They stood in my way and I had to literally force my way past them to get by. Two out of three of them had gold teeth. Disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Ta failte romhat agus get da Fu*ck out of me face.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement