Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romanian beggers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

nesf wrote:
    See this is my thing. If you were annoyed only because they were Roma then yeah you'd be a racist. However, if you are like me, and detest anyone forcibly begging or demanding money from you then you're not a racist imho.

The problem is that people start generalising out beyond that and talking **** which is what gets people's backs up.

Well this is the point I was making by being sarcastic - people are giving out about Roma doing things that Irish beggars do as well, but only 1 poster has even mentioned that here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending aggressive beggars and I get pissed off at them too, but I see plenty of Irish doing it and plenty of Irish using kids as props - that's nothing new either.

As far as I'm concerned there are plenty of people posting in this thread who are racist and maybe they just don't realise it yet. There are also plenty of people who think they know everything about the situation when they haven't the first clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

flogen wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned there are plenty of people posting in this thread who are racist and maybe they just don't realise it yet. There are also plenty of people who think they know everything about the situation when they haven't the first clue.

Actually it's relatively interesting. The people who get annoyed by the Roma aren't your typical racist "they're taking our jobs!" people. What you're seeing is a situation where the majority of people's interactions with these people are negative and there's a build of opinion because of it. It is completely rational for people to be complaining about a group of people they only ever see doing, what is considered in this society, to be negative. The problem is that some people will take this and "run with it".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Had the same crew come around my area a few times a while ago

Day 1: Mother. Gave €2 and thought that was that

Day 2: Child with some sort of fund raising chart for a school in Walkinstown. So my dad gave €5 and noticed alot of signatures on it, so he thought it was legit.

Later that day, I notice the same child handing over money to mother from day 1. So I realise that the fundraising was a fraud. Everyone on the street was done.

Day 3: Mother calls again. Door shut on her, she sticks her foot in the way. So calling of gardai is threatened.

Day 4: She calls again with 3 kids. Same bullcrap. I reach for mobile to say Im calling the law.

Day 5: I notice the same woman, (who is meant to be poor remember) getting out of an 04 fiat punto.

I'm sure they are netting a fair bit from thriving on peoples kind gestures.

TO add to it, one of her kids (maybe not hers) will follow you while you walk from your home to car begging at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

flogen wrote:
    Well this is the point I was making by being sarcastic - people are giving out about Roma doing things that Irish beggars do as well, but only 1 poster has even mentioned that here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending aggressive beggars and I get pissed off at them too, but I see plenty of Irish doing it and plenty of Irish using kids as props - that's nothing new either.

I wish I was as clever as you Flogen.

I hate Irish beggers. I hate the fact that our society is that way inclined so as they are in existance. Considering the billions in tax etc. I am sure we could do something.

I hate Romanian and immigrant beggers even more. I'd like to post lots of real clever sociodemopoltkklity data to back up my dislike but it does not exist. just don't like em. I couldn't care less if I am a racist for it.

woe is me.

I do like the nice folks who clean my windscreen for free at lunch time on the Naas road. Sometimes I think they want money but I can't understand exactly what they do be saying. Maybe they are wishing me a safe trip? :confused:

nesf wrote:
    Actually it's relatively interesting. The people who get annoyed by the Roma aren't your typical racist "they're taking our jobs!" people. What you're seeing is a situation where the majority of people's interactions with these people are negative and there's a build of opinion because of it. It is completely rational for people to be complaining about a group of people they only ever see doing, what is considered in this society, to be negative. The problem is that some people will take this and "run with it".

That's true.

Of course this is all part of the overarching issue with racism - it's all about perception not reality... In other words, a guy might pass 100 black guys on the street who in their own lives are working hard, decent people, paying taxes etc. Then they go into a shop and there's one there who's loud, arrogant, abrasive and verbally abusive to anyone who looks at him funny. Of course he's not representative of black people, but he's the only one that'll be noticed/rememberd of the 101 the guy passed that day. That happens a few times and ignorant people start to build up some kind of perception.

Sure, there are plenty of these people on the street, using kids as props and being aggressive. I hate it. But I'm not willing to fall into the trap of assuming that they must all be like that, because there's quite probably a silent majority who are playing fair - whatever their legal status may be. Some posters here just seem to believe that the Roma don't work, all beg and are natural thieves.

Another perception issue is the lack of education. Forget about their tactics (and let's not condone them) but people never ask why they might be begging. They see the gold teeth and think they're well off, which shows complete cultural ignorance. They believe the stories about free housing, free cars, free buggies. They think asylum seekers and refugees get a load of money when they don't.

I just find it funny that it's always the asylum seekers who are coming here and scamming the welfare system (and getting all these fictional benefits), but no-one mentions the Irish doing the same thing. Or these Roma beggars using kids as props and how disgraceful it is, and no-one mentions the Irish doing it too. Or the fact that a lot of these beggars probably aren't homeless or needy at all, and no-one mentions the Irish who are the exact same.

I know the reason why - because in Ireland people deal with so many white Irish on a daily basis they know that the majority of them are decent, honest people. So they don't/can't put it down to a cultural thing. But it's far harder to mix with Roma people and their only experience with them is usually when a few of them harrass them on the street for money. They've nothing to counter that with so the ignorant then assume it must be what they all do - it's a cultural thing. Basically, it's total laziness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The full name for them is Romany, people disliking them will not bother them in the slightest. There were some parts of eastern europe where they were sometimes even shot at.
    It is their way of life, and like travellers they are in their own circle. Noone settled is going to understand what they do, and they dont care what you think.
    Many other countries have problems with them, but unless they affect you directly rather than being only an annoyance I wouldnt worry. There are bigger problems out there.

I wish I was as clever as you Flogen.

I hate Irish beggers. I hate the fact that our society is that way inclined so as they are in existance. Considering the billions in tax etc. I am sure we could do something.

I hate Romanian and immigrant beggers even more. I'd like to post lots of real clever sociodemopoltkklity data to back up my dislike but it does not exist. just don't like em. I couldn't care less if I am a racist for it.

woe is me.

I do like the nice folks who clean my windscreen for free at lunch time on the Naas road. Sometimes I think they want money but I can't understand exactly what they do be saying. Maybe they are wishing me a safe trip? :confused:

Fair enough, you're racist (or maybe just plain ignorant, I'm no judge) - at least you can be honest about it rather than trying to justify it with fictional reasons.

Out of interest, why do you hate immigrant beggars more than Irish beggars?

And thanks for the patronising comment - it certainly served your argument well.

flogen wrote:
    Fair enough, you're racist (or maybe just plain ignorant, I'm no judge) - at least you can be honest about it rather than trying to justify it with fictional reasons.

Maybe I am. If I am born this way you will have to learn to love me. Pretend I am a homosexual?
    flogen wrote:
    Out of interest, why do you hate immigrant beggars more than Irish beggars?
    No idea. Just do. Why do I like really strong chedder but can't stand that smelly sock type stuff? And why don't I like Celery? And why does anybody like either?

These are questions I ask myself daily. Daily!
    flogen wrote:
    And thanks for the patronising comment - it certainly served your argument well.

I don't do patronising comments. Too ignorant to even know what you mean I'm afraid.

Maybe I am. If I am born this way you will have to learn to love me. Pretend I am a homosexual?

Great to see your ignorance extends to other realms.
    I'm going to have to reject your comparison of attraction and hatred. It's not a matter of genetics - I couldn't care less if homosexuals are born as they are or make their mind up at a later date (although I believe it's the former).. reason being that their sexual preference doesn't do anyone any harm. Hatred and racism can and does, though.
    No idea. Just do. Why do I like really strong chedder but can't stand that smelly sock type stuff? And why don't I like Celery? And why does anybody like either?

These are questions I ask myself daily. Daily!

Yeah. They're the same.
    I don't do patronising comments. Too ignorant to even know what you mean I'm afraid.

Don't worry, you'll figure it out some day.
    (that was a patronising comment, by the way. I'm telling you because you may not have realised it yourself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

flogen wrote:

Get a life. The majority of Roma's are scum, just like the majority of traveller's. Enough of them are scum for people to label the group "scum" imo.

The difference between travellers and the Roma's is the fact the Irish traveller's are born here, whilst lazy b*stards in most cases, they have a right to be here.

On the other hand, we have the useless Roma's who contribute nothing to our society but a negative and nervy atmosphere wherever they are.

Call me racist, and call the 100,000's of Irish who I'm sure have a disliking for this particular ethnic group racist while you're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Ive seen these beggars too. The Irish beggar just sits there and has a macdonalds cup with a few coins in it. He/she may be 25 but looks 65.
    As for the dress scene, its all the same style with them, they dont have a fashion style.:)
    The Roma beggar usually is breast feeding a baby for like 3 days non-stop.
    Then they are asking to clean your windscreen but only God knows what in that windowlene bottle, could be their Urine sample....:)
    And then there is the beggar with more gold in their mouth than the Irish reserve in the National bank. There is always a note probably written by some counter assistant in Simon.:)
    Personally I dont give any money to them and therefore I dont get any abuse from them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

mloc wrote:
    sign me up.

Yerr me too! haven't met one decent one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It is really hard to think of an instance where an interaction with one of them involves anything other than aggressive begging. One tactic is that when a housewife is at home, a group of them will come begging to the door. Whatever other East Europeans might be criticised for, be it supposed bad driving or somesuch, they do pay their way. I doubt Romanians themselves like that people equate them with Roma. Roma=Romanian for most Irish people.

xha1r wrote:
    Get a life. The majority of Roma's are scum, just like the majority of traveller's. Enough of them are scum for people to label the group "scum" imo.

The difference between travellers and the Roma's is the fact the Irish traveller's are born here, whilst lazy b*stards in most cases, they have a right to be here.

On the other hand, we have the useless Roma's who contribute nothing to our society but a negative and nervy atmosphere wherever they are.

Call me racist, and call the 100,000's of Irish who I'm sure have a disliking for this particular ethnic group racist while you're at it.

Case in point.

flogen wrote:
    Great to see your ignorance extends to other realms.
    I'm going to have to reject your comparison of attraction and hatred. It's not a matter of genetics - I couldn't care less if homosexuals are born as they are or make their mind up at a later date (although I believe it's the former).. reason being that their sexual preference doesn't do anyone any harm. Hatred and racism can and does, though.

I am not sure I understand you. I merely don't like beggers. I have an even stronger dislike for Romanian ones. I hate beggers actually. I hate even more that society makes them or rather "it" exists.

Just winding you up with the homo remark though but I should point out for the record a homosexual child rapist who has raped a child would be considered having done harm. Buit no doubt they don't exist so neither does their sexual preference so your point stands. Regardless I just threw it in there for fun more so than anything else.

As for cheese and celery being the same. I feel you need to investigate that further. Once done.... if you can help me get over my hate for the smelly cheese I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to upset all the smelly cheese lovers.

Kinda sad that I am now a racsit for not likeing Romanian beggers more than Irish ones, smelly cheese and celery.

I may need therapy. Possibly join a club or something. Always liked the look of Archery.

/Goes off to google.

http://www.archery.ie/

Soon I'll be all mended!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

there's a romanian kid who generally sits at the atm beside tower recs begging

chap has a mobile phone, brand new runners

stole about a 5 out of a buskers guitar case too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Roma=Romanian for most Irish people.

This is the sad part. Romanian people, for the most part, dress, act and look exactly like irish people.

Most romanian people I've met (e.g. non-Romas) were decent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

xha1r wrote:

[borat] Do not shrink me gypsy, all i want is your tears.[/borat]:D

I am not sure I understand you. I merely don't like beggers. I have an even stronger dislike for Romanian ones. I hate beggers actually. I hate even more that society makes them or rather "it" exists.

Yeah, hating what forces people to beg is fair enough, as is hating the individual beggars who use scumbag tactics - I'm just trying to figure why you generally hate non-Irish beggars more than Irish beggars. I mean, Irish beggars do the same shítty tactics and can be just as dishonest as the rest and I've seen plenty of Roma beggars who just sit on the street with a paper cup too. I see no reason to draw lines just because they look different and I see no reason to assume that one beggar is representative of all beggars who look similar.

Frankly I don't give money to any beggars for a number of reasons, it doesn't matter what tactics they use on me.
    Just winding you up with the homo remark though but I should point out for the record a homosexual child rapist who has raped a child would be considered having done harm. Buit no doubt they don't exist so neither does their sexual preference so your point stands. Regardless I just threw it in there for fun more so than anything else.

Well sadly I'm sure homosexual child rapists do exist, but it's not their homosexuality that causes the harm, it's their paedophilic rapist tendencies that do.
    As for cheese and celery being the same. I feel you need to investigate that further. Once done.... if you can help me get over my hate for the smelly cheese I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to upset all the smelly cheese lovers.

Your best bet is to stay in a room with some smelly cheese for a week - you'll be assimilated then. But I don't think the cheese will take too much offense if you continue to hate it.
    Kinda sad that I am now a racsit for not likeing Romanian beggers more than Irish ones, smelly cheese and celery.

Isn't it just. Enjoy the archery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I wouldn't tar all Romanians with the same brush by any means but it doesn't help when you have 2/3 Romanians knocking on ur door 2/3 times a week and I can understand where the feelings of resentment come from. As has already been said they are far more aggresive. On the rare occasion that an Irish person would call to the door they'll leave if u have no money whereas in my experience the Romanians will persist and keep knocking on the door etc.

My family used be very generous when they first started coming but we found ourselves answering the door as much as 4 times a day at one stage so we had to stop. Now one thing I do when they call is grab a handful of coppers which never amounts to more than 50 cents if even. That way they cant complain that ur not giving them anything but its such a **** amount that thay don't often come back.

piby wrote:
    I wouldn't tar all Romanians with the same brush by any means but it doesn't help when you have 2/3 Romanians knocking on ur door 2/3 times a week and I can understand where the feelings of resentment come from. As has already been said they are far more aggresive. On the rare occasion that an Irish person would call to the door they'll leave if u have no money whereas in my experience the Romanians will persist and keep knocking on the door etc.

My family used be very generous when they first started coming but we found ourselves answering the door as much as 4 times a day at one stage so we had to stop. Now one thing I do when they call is grab a handful of coppers which never amounts to more than 50 cents if even. That way they cant complain that ur not giving them anything but its such a **** amount that thay don't often come back.

My attitude with door to door beggars is this - give them nothing and they won't come back. Once your house has a reputation for telling them where to go they won't bother wasting their time knocking anymore.
    Of course, it won't stop people coming, it'll just stop them coming back.

Have you ever fed a stray cat you saw in your garden? If so, where'd you think they decide to go next time they're hungry?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 NZdubstar

Yeah - Hitler and the good old Nazis killed tens of thousands of them. Not enough. To use the old cliche - I'm not racist BUT - I wish he had murdered them all. I'm all for final solutions. They're not in NZ though. There was one on abbey st near easons everyday, I wonder if she's still there, mumbling nonsensically, head toing and froing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

i am not a racist, i just hate being pressured for money irregardless of the source. I dont like the methods of intimidation used by beggars, esp those that are in groups, the only groups i have seen beg in groups are irish travellers and roma (assuming here). I dont like being intimidated period. Oh and dont get me started on the stuipid charity people that hunt you down in town.

To alleviate my guilth of walking past and being an ignorant ass i donate money to focus ireland instead. figure at least that way you know where its going.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

NZdubstar wrote:
    Yeah - Hitler and the good old Nazis killed tens of thousands of them. Not enough. To use the old cliche - I'm not racist BUT - I wish he had murdered them all. I'm all for final solutions. They're not in NZ though. There was one on abbey st near easons everyday, I wonder if she's still there, mumbling nonsensically, head toing and froing...

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I have some good friends who are Romanian and I've gone to Romania with them. What I can tell you as a fact is the average Romanian absolutely hates the Roma.

Let's imagine I know someone who translated refugee paperwork from Romania. Let's imagine he told me that 90% of what's on the paperwork is total rubbish.

They can be extremely aggressive when they beg. I've seen them corner people, swing out of people, I've even seen them attack people.

When we had our internet cafe in town they would come in regularly looking for change of two hundred Euro notes from a wad of said notes, thousands in cash.

I have friends in the North and I use the train to get up there. The Roma travel up and down on the train to get to different begging spots in Belfast and Dublin.

I think their so called culture shouldn't even be described as a culture.

In general migration has improved things here in Ireland so call me a racist all you want but I have eyes and I don't like what I see when it comes to the Roma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Yup hates them beggers too, if ur showing a hint of a coin their like Lions after a 3 legged cow in a wheelchair.

Best defence if to pretend ur german or just cant speak english

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AgainTheTime

The Roma have no respect for anyone, if you look like you might be carrying even a single coin then you are game to them.

I was attending the funeral of my father-in-law, I helped carry his coffin from the church to the funeral car and about 5 seconds afterwards I see women Roma beggers coming into the church grounds attempting to beg from the tearful mourners. It was a very emotional time for all concerned as it would be at any funeral but these scumbags saw it as an ideal fúcking business opportunity to increase their cash take for the day.

I'm quite a liberal person with regards to most people/cultures ("live and let live") but ever since that day I can freely admit to hating every single one of those scumbag Roma beggers. Everytime I see one I'm reminded of the utter disrespect shown by them at the funeral of my father-in-law.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

It is really hard to think of an instance where an interaction with one of them involves anything other than aggressive begging.
    now thats just not fair. they don't just beg they also commit fraud.

working in a phone shop will really make you hate them. they think you won't remember them from the time they were in three days ago with different fake id's trying to sign up to the highest tariff to get a free phone.

they think we'll just sign up their friend who can't speak english and not notice that they're the dodgy people we refused to sign up a few days ago.

they think the network won't notice that they already have ten contracts with them, none of which have had the bills paid

they think we don't check anything and we won't notice that the bank statement in front of me is for an account that doesn't exist

they think its ok to make up a statement yourself, forget to put in the date and write it in pen ffs!!

they think that the shops don't talk to each other and they can be refused in one and go to another one 5 minutes later

here's a statistic for you. the fraud list is pretty much full of eastern european names and african names. i've never been handed fake id by an irish person and neither have any of my colleagues.

although we did have a traveller dropping an €800 phone in for repair who actually had the cheek to tell us he smashed the window of a van to get it, after the manager had finished logging it in for repair of course

and i feel i should mention for completeness (since i mentioned african names) that i haven't had a dodgy nigerian for ages now. it used to be every few weeks

edit: just remembered one of them thought my friend wouldn't notice that his two credit cards had different names on them :D
    piby wrote:
    I wouldn't tar all Romanians with the same brush by any means but it doesn't help when you have 2/3 Romanians knocking on ur door 2/3 times a week and I can understand where the feelings of resentment come from.
    don't make that mistake. romanians are no different to any other eastern europeans. the ones who think i'm retarded enough not to recognise them three days later are not romanians, they're gypsies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Seb-K

Parasites! why do we even let these scum in the country???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement