Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romanian beggers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Be The Holy

Another trick they like to play is to call to the door with the kid and ask for the few shillings for the kid. Then they ask can the kid use the toilet which invariably involves allowing them upstairs where they proceed to enrich themselves with anything valuable available.

This happened a couple of weeks ago near my place. Thankfully the guards were on the ball and retrieved the items along with other robbed stuff. It's a hard to believe there is people so gullible and naeive to let them into their homes unsupervised but in this case it was a little old lady on her own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If there'sa fishing tackle shop near you go in and buy half a pint of maggots in a plastic bag.Put the bag in your pocket.When you approach one of these beggers take a handfull of maggots and drop them into thier begging cup or whatever.The shrieks of rage are wonderfull to hear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Just don't give anything to any beggars regardless of nationality. One actually thanked me yesterday. I'm not sure why. I didn't give her anything.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

petes wrote:
    Just don't give anything to any beggars regardless of nationality. One actually thanked me yesterday. I'm not sure why. I didn't give her anything.:confused:

You did

You gave her a look :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

flogen wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned there are plenty of people posting in this thread who are racist and maybe they just don't realise it yet. There are also plenty of people who think they know everything about the situation when they haven't the first clue.
    Okay well first of all its a misuse of the language to say someone can "be" racist. They may have racist tendencies or outlooks, but that doesn't mean they are genetically wired that way. It gets people's backs up.

Secondly, if ignorance is a problem, there are better ways to resolve it than industrial strength sarcasm. For example, here are a few facts about the Roma people might not know...

Roma
    The Roma are a distinct ethnic minority, distinguished at least by Rom blood and the Romani, or Romanes, language, whose origins began on the Indian subcontinent over one thousand years ago. No one knows for certain why the original Roma began their great wandering from India to Europe and beyond, but they have dispersed worldwide.

There have been several great migrations, or diaspora, in Romani history. The first was the initial dispersal from India about a thousand years ago. Some scholars suggest there may have been several migrations from India. The second great migration, known as the Aresajipe, was from southwest Asia into Europe in the 14th century. The third migration was from Europe to the Americas in the 19th and early 20th centuries after the abolition of Romani slavery in Europe in 1856-1864. Some scholars contend there is a great migration occurring today since the fall of the Iron Curtain in Eastern Europe.

There are four Rom "tribes", or nations (natsiya), of Roma: the Kalderash, the Machavaya, the Lovari, and the Churari. Other groups include the Romanichal, the Gitanoes (Calé), the Sinti, the Rudari, the Manush, the Boyash, the Ungaritza, the Luri, the Bashaldé, the Romungro, and the Xoraxai. The first European descriptions of the Roma upon their entering Europe emphasized their dark skin and black hair. Through integration with Europeans over the centuries, Roma today can also be found with light skin and hair.

Romani culture is diverse and there is no universal culture per se, but there are attributes common to all Roma: loyalty to family (extended and clan); belief in Del (God) and beng (the Devil); belief in predestiny; Romaniya, standards and norms, varying in degree from tribe to tribe; and adaptability to changing conditions.

Integration of many Roma into gajikané (non-Roma, or foreign) culture due to settlement has diluted many Romani cultural values and beliefs. Not all tribes have the same definition of who and what is "Roma." What may be accepted as "true-Roma" by one group may be gadjé to another. Romani culture is diverse, with many traditions and customs, and all tribes around the world have their own individual beliefs and tenets. It would be invalid to generalize and oversimplify by giving concrete rules to all Roma. Despite what some groups may believe, there is no one tribe that can call themselves the one, "true" Roma.

More can be found here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Well, i have to say, i never had any experiences as bad as some of the ones described here(with that particular group of people that is). A woman of the given description did approach me at a bus stop the other day with a baby in her arms, i assume she was looking for money but i didn't actually acknowledge her, maybe she was just looking for a chat? :)

Anyway, i have seen behavior just as bad as what has been described above by Irish people. I saw Irish scumbags nearly beat the crap out of a Asian guy because they asked him for a cigarette and the chap didn't even smoke. I was personally in a similar situation myself a number of times, but fortunately i have friends who can be fairly intimidating in those kinda situations.

I have often seen members of the traveling community come to the door with their children looking for money for the baaabaee. Also, trying to sell junk(carpets etc...) at the door, while their youngster's steal stuff from the car outside.

I have been approached by the same junkie for the last 4 weeks at a bus stop looking for 70 cent for his bus fair. (Always 70 cent, and always at the same time of the day.)

The point being, from what i have read here and from my past experiences, EDIT:: i personally don't see how these new beggars are any worse than the ones that were already here, EDIT:: and I don't see any justification for hating these new ones any more than the beggars already here.

I never give anything to any of them and usually dawn my :mad: face whenever i see them around. It seems to keep them at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

You did

You gave her a look :D

I was in a generous mood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have bought this t-shirt which i wear on nights out now. Always under my shirt. So when one of them pesky romanians come round asking for change at 2am with their kids i usually put my fag in their cup and show them this shirt.

http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=322

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Anti wrote:
    I have bought this t-shirt which i wear on nights out now. Always under my shirt. So when one of them pesky romanians come round asking for change at 2am with their kids i usually put my fag in their cup and show them this shirt.

http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=322

God you're deadly you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Why are people who blatantly abuse the system allowed into the country? These few idiots are giving all foreigners a bad name. And whats with the Roma people selling the big issue? I bet none of them are homeless!

• Advertisement

grahamo wrote:
    Why are people who blatantly abuse the system allowed into the country? These few idiots are giving all foreigners a bad name. And whats with the Roma people selling the big issue? I bet none of them are homeless!

They often have a few old big issues they found on the streets and wont give it to you when you pay.If they havnt got an actual badge the're not licensed vendors and should be reported/spat at.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Okay well first of all its a misuse of the language to say someone can "be" racist. They may have racist tendencies or outlooks, but that doesn't mean they are genetically wired that way. It gets people's backs up.

:confused: Saying someone is racist means that they have racist tendencies. It's nothing to do with genetics.
    Secondly, if ignorance is a problem, there are better ways to resolve it than industrial strength sarcasm. For example, here are a few facts about the Roma people might not know...

Well in fairness, considering how many stupid comments about dumb t-shirts to make yourself feel cool, throwing maggots, and beating up people, i doubt googled information is going to help anyone. Some people simply need to vent on someone. And this week it's Roma. Don't worry, next week will be back to Travellers again :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

grahamo wrote:

Ireland is obliged to process asylum applications - the process decides if they're legit or not.

As for abusing the system, I'm not sure what you mean. If they're asylum seekers they're not allowed work and begging isn't illegal. They get €19.10 per adult and €5 per child per week while waiting to be processed. If they get their application granted they're entitled to work (and if they don't they're entitled to the same benefits as an unemployed Irish person).

They'd only be abusing the system if they were working while being processed or weren't paying taxes (or were claiming the dole and working) when they did get legit jobs... that's hardly an alien concept to many Irish people but few seem bothered about that.

What I just can't fathom in this thread is how people use one or two examples as justification to hate a whole ethnic group. When you see a scumbag junkie hassling people for change on the street do you think "those white Irish are a bunch of dirt bags"?

Yeah, the beggars coming up to mourners were scum, the beggars who use their children as props are scum, the beggars who demand more money than you're giving them are scum, the beggars who try to intimidate people into giving money are scum, but they're not representative of anyone/thing but themselves.

I just wish the Census had figures for the Roma population in Ireland - I bet it's in the 10s of thousands though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

flogen wrote:

What I just can't fathom in this thread is how people use one or two examples as justification to hate a whole ethnic group. When you see a scumbag junkie hassling people for change on the street do you think "those white Irish are a bunch of dirt bags"?

Do you just brows boards with your eyes closed and randomly press keys or something? Have you not see the hundreds of posts right here on AH with titles like 'i hate scumbags' or 'bloody scumbags' or whatever, that rip on our very own irish knackers? The one about the winos comparing cock sizes on the luas? Theres a myriad of them on here but i guess its just easier to say everyone who complains about the Roma are all the living embodiment of Hitler himself, racists one and all.
    Whats the air like up there on your high moral ground, Sir Edmund??

flogen wrote:
    When you see a scumbag junkie hassling people for change on the street do you think "those white Irish are a bunch of dirt bags"?

No,you think "that dirty junky scumbag is a dirtbag."If you see a few of them,you think "those dirty junky scumbags are dirtbags".If every single irish person you've ever met in your life is a dirty,junky scumbag you might well be forgiven for thinking "every dirty irish scumbag junky is a dirtbag".If every roma gypsy you've ever met in your life is a begger thewn you'd have some justification in thinking they were ALL beggers.I cant see what your point is in any of your posts,you're saying that there are irish beggers too and nobody is disputing that.What most people ar esaying is that nobody has ever met a roma gypsy who wasnt begging,scamming,hassling people or otherwise behaving in an antisocial manner.There are several hundred maybe a thousand or so Roma gypsies in ireland and i guarantee you NONE of them work.

humanji wrote:

Well in fairness, considering how many stupid comments about dumb t-shirts to make yourself feel cool, throwing maggots, and beating up people, i doubt googled information is going to help anyone. Some people simply need to vent on someone. And this week it's Roma. Don't worry, next week will be back to Travellers again :D

Well then you can fight the good fight on behalf of them when the time comes cant you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

0ubliette wrote:
    Do you just brows boards with your eyes closed and randomly press keys or something? Have you not see the hundreds of posts right here on AH with titles like 'i hate scumbags' or 'bloody scumbags' or whatever, that rip on our very own irish knackers? The one about the winos comparing cock sizes on the luas? Theres a myriad of them on here but i guess its just easier to say everyone who complains about the Roma are all the living embodiment of Hitler himself, racists one and all.
    Whats the air like up there on your high moral ground, Sir Edmund??

About time someone said this in the thread!

I don't hate them more than Irish beggers but I have an extra reason for hating them which is because they travelled here to beg. That's a lot of effort to go to just to piss me off when I'm walking down the street.

Also since not one person in this thread has had a good experience with them, how can you say that the majority of thse people are decent? Not one person from the sample of users on boards has come in to defend them with an example of a meeting a sound Roma person. Bit odd, don't you think?

I hate anyone that decides that they have the right to randomly walk up to me and try to get money out of me on the street or at my door. Its ignorant and ridiculous. There are charities to help the homeless. I'll give to them instead of some scumbag on the street. I also will not donate to charities that hassle me on the street with people trying to sign me up for regular contributions. I'd much rather go online and voluntarily go to their website and donate money.

The point is that none of these people are poor.I said years ago that my sister who works in a bank would regularly change 2000 euro at a time from roma beggers.I was lambasted at the time and basicaly called a liar.Its time people woke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

flogen wrote:
    begging isn't illegal.
    i'm pretty sure it is

/goes to check

edit: apparently it stopped being illegal in march:
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9406E7D61F31F934A25750C0A9619C8B63

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Stekelly wrote:
    Well done, you overloaded that sarcasm meter with every post you've written today.

The fact is, not one person here has had a good dealing with any of these Roma gysies/knackers/generally dislikeable people. I honestly dont care if you label me racist , so that saves you the need to post again.

As for your second paragraph, take out the childish sarcasm and its true. For christ sake, other romanians havnt even seen any of these people actually work before. It is in their culture to beg/steal/whatever. There are a certain percentage of Irish people who beg/steal etc, but not aywhere near the percentage as with Roma's.

So get off youy soapbox and stop defending the indefenceable.

Very well said Ste! I've offend wondered would the Uber PC Brigade attitude change dramatically should they find themselves victims of crime by said ethnic group.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Degsy wrote:
    The point is that none of these people are poor.I said years ago that my sister who works in a bank would regularly change 2000 euro at a time from roma beggers.I was lambasted at the time and basicaly called a liar.Its time people woke up.

My sister works in a bank..

My dada sold them a car...

My brother waited on them at the four seasons

My auntie sold them real estate in the south of france

My uncle insures their animals...

I can't take it anymore. Just walk past them on the street and don't give them another thought. Ever tried that? The same thing is happening all over world.
    If people are that bitter and ignorant that they need to hate these people then so be it for them. i know that truly understanding something is just too painful for you so by all means, hate way. It's so sad to imagine all the hating masses of people displacing all that negative hurt onto ethnic groups. It's really just a way for these people to spout their paranoid fears disguised as honest objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Why don't we start a different thread titled ..
    "Has anyone ever had a good experience with a Roma Gypsie"
    can't see it being very long though :D

Degsy wrote:
    Well then you can fight the good fight on behalf of them when the time comes cant you?

What the hell are you talking about? You're making it sound like the end of days is coming. They are begging and making a living out of it. That's all. And you're calling for violence against them. Well who the f*ck do you think a rational person would stand beside? Someone exploiting a hole in the system or a sociopath looking for the extermination of a race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

stevejazzx wrote:
    It's really just a way for these people to spout their paranoid fears disguised as honest objections.

Really, you think ? I don't think that people expressing the opinion that they don't want people to come in to this country simply to beg and scrounge is them spouting paranoid fears ! It's their society and if they see someone detracting from it why shouldn't they complain about it, it's not as if this is such a perfect country that we need to import problems.

humanji wrote:
    What the hell are you talking about? You're making it sound like the end of days is coming. They are begging and making a living out of it. That's all. And you're calling for violence against them. Well who the f*ck do you think a rational person would stand beside? Someone exploiting a hole in the system or a sociopath looking for the extermination of a race?

Who's a sociopath and who is looking for the extermination of a race?I think your PC-driven social-conscience-for-hire has overheated and you're spouting a load of rubbish.
    Begging is NOT a legitimate way of making a living,there are rules of behaviour in civilised society and working,tax-paying people find it morally repugnant to be accosted,sometimes aggresively by professional beggars.Have you mentioned Hitler and the Final Solution yet?I find that people who dont have a leg to stand on in an argument will usually start talking about gas chambers and lampshades made out of human skin if there's an issue with the behaviour of foreigners.

Degsy wrote:
    Who's a sociopath and who is looking for the extermination of a race?I think your PC-driven social-conscience-for-hire has overheated and you're spouting a load of rubbish.
    Begging is NOT a legitimate way of making a living,there are rules of behaviour in civilised society and working,tax-paying people find it morally repugnant to be accosted,sometimes aggresively by professional beggars.Have you mentioned Hitler and the Final Solution yet?I find that people who dont have a leg to stand on in an argument will usually start talking about gas chambers and lampshades made out of human skin if there's an issue with the behaviour of foreigners.
    Begging is a legitimate way of making money, and you'll find that it's been around for a hell of a long time. And the fact that begging isn't illegal, then they aren't doing anything wrong.

And I'm not of the "uber PC Brigade" that you and you're ilk seem to hate so much. I don't particularly like beggers, but I've common sense enough to ignore them without calling for violence. And why the hell go on about Hitler? Is your argument so bad that instead of defending it you make up shìt about the opposing view? Seriously, grow up!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Calm it down a bit lads, I don't want to have to ban more people because of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I would say that my experiences with the Roma beggars in Dublin have been, ballpark figure now, approximately 100% negative. Walking down Johnsons's Court to Grafton St the other day I had the hilarious sight of a Genuine Irish Beggar (tm) hushing that Roma one who sits opposite the church entrance as she was blathering away on her mobile. Bad for business I guess.

The principle way to get shot of this lot is ignore them and never give them money. Sooner or later enough people will be doing it that they'll **** off somewhere else, and good luck to them, the aggressive, thieving, scum.

Anyone who lets a Roma into their house so their kid can 'use the toilet' deserves to have every damn thing in the house ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

humanji wrote:
    And I'm not of the "uber PC Brigade" that you and you're ilk seem to hate so much. I don't particularly like beggers, but I've common sense enough to ignore them without calling for violence.

QFT. That's the nub of the argument right there. Seriously, how much impact do these people have on your daily life? Sure it's a minor hassle to have someone asking you for money, but how difficult is it to say "no" and just walk past?

All I'm saying is that I'm lucky that I was born here, I'm lucky I had parents with the money and the inclination to make sure that I got the best start in life, and I'm under no illusions that my lot in life was decided by 10% talent and 90% luck. These people were born and raised in a crappy environment whatever way you look at it. OK, they shouldn't be doing what they are doing, but what if you were in their shoes, seriously, do you have any doubts you'd be doing any different? How come no-one is saying "Society should be fairer - we should be spending time and money making sure that they don't have any need to come here" I bet a lot of people talking about other human beings like they were different to them were wearing "Make Poverty History" wristbands. Why the delight is someone else's suffering?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

flogen wrote:
    Damn right - those asylum seekers get loads of money - tonnes of the stuff. Way more than the Irish get. Way, way more.
    As your accommodation will be full board, the only income you will receive from the State shall be a personal allowance of €19.10 per week and, if you have children and they are accompanying you, €9.60 per week for each child.

http://www.ria.gov.ie/coming_to_ireland_as_an_asylum_seeker/

Ah no...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement