Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romanian beggers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Had quite an experience today.
    Was walking with a freind around Kildare Street, when one of the Roma's stops right in front of me and demands that I buy the ****ty magazine.
    I tried to avoid her and she grabbed my arm, I told her not to touch me, quite politely infact, when I pushed by her. She then approached from behind and hit me on the head with a load of magazines (Funny looking back) but I turned around and darted at her telling her where to go.
    A different ''agent'' then approached my freind in the same manner, cutting him off.

Unreal. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

MooseJam wrote:
    Hitler thought the Roma were scum and a quarter million were exterminated in the holocaust

Im sure Ian Paisley and Johnny Adair dislike mosquitos. Because evil men dislike them, we shouldnt?

Sorry, Im just baffled as to what Hitler killing gypsies has to do with the average person dislking jobless tossers on O`Connell Street scamming money. Please explain.

Ive never been accosted by them in the same way as many here have claimed, maybe Im just a baaaad lookin mofo but if they try, I say no thanks, and they try again, once I tell them to **** off and get a job (litreally) they usually do.

Well, **** off at least, I doubt they follow the 2nd part :) Since the accession they dont seem to have made huge progress here in obtaining welfare, seeing as they can no longer claim asylum and afaik theyre not eligible for dole yet, so maybe theyll be back home in a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

flogen wrote:
    I'm not having a go at anyone for being angry at Roma beggars - the problem I have is with people being angry with all Romani people because of the Roma beggars.

huh? I was just angry at the beggers and you had a go at me! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The only interaction I have had with Roma gypsies has involved begging, aggression, spitting (at me), theft (of my stuff)... forgive me for having a negative view of the Roma. Yes, there is a vast distinction between the Roma and the Romanians, very few people will dispute that. Likewise, I'd rather not think I'm racist, but if disliking being aggressively pressured for money every time I walk down the street in Dublin, or wait for a Luas, or <insert relevant situation here>, makes someone think I'm a racist, then unfortunately so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nonbeliever

flogen wrote:
    Damn right - those asylum seekers get loads of money - tonnes of the stuff. Way more than the Irish get. Way, way more.

And they have really sophisticated scams too. I heard a story once from a friend of a friend about them. One of them came up to him and asked for some spare change and he said "ok", and put his hand in his pocket and gave them, like a euro or something. And then they walked off.
    These kinds of scam artists should be sent back to the warzones they came from tbh. They just haven't got the same class or decency as the Irish beggars.

For starters Roma and Romanians are not asylum seekers. Secondly, asylum seekers DO NOT get loads of money. They only get €19 a week and an extra €9 if they have a child. Could you live on that money? I doubt it. Thirdly, i'd love to see you trying to live in a warzone. I very much doubt you;d last very long.
    Jaysus I fcuking HATE uneducated ass holes making comments like this.

• Advertisement

I think you'll find that flogen was being sarcastic there, nonbeliever. I think you'll also find that getting that "pittance" is in addition to shelter and food. Considering that's also in addition to shelter away from their "warzone" it's not great, but it's not all that shabby either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

For starters Roma and Romanians are not asylum seekers. Secondly, asylum seekers DO NOT get loads of money. They only get €19 a week and an extra €9 if they have a child. Could you live on that money? I doubt it. Thirdly, i'd love to see you trying to live in a warzone. I very much doubt you;d last very long.

Tone it down please. You can disagree with anyone on here but try to be respectful when doing it and don't attack other posters or abuse them. There is absolutely no need to descend into name calling and such.

That and, flogen was being sarcastic.

Blush_01 wrote:
    The only interaction I have had with Roma gypsies has involved begging, aggression, spitting (at me), theft (of my stuff)... forgive me for having a negative view of the Roma. Yes, there is a vast distinction between the Roma and the Romanians, very few people will dispute that. Likewise, I'd rather not think I'm racist, but if disliking being aggressively pressured for money every time I walk down the street in Dublin, or wait for a Luas, or <insert relevant situation here>, makes someone think I'm a racist, then unfortunately so be it.

Does'nt make you racist at all. Could easily be an Irish person. A believe anyone that is aggressive in asking for money should be sent to Siberia for a holiday.
    My incident pissed me off today were she actually hit me with the magazines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yummy irony. More please.

Thirdly, i'd love to see you trying to live in a warzone. I very much doubt you;d last very long.

Uneducated? LOL

Romania is not a warzone. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No, no, it's not that kind of war. It's the other kind of war. The one without the bombs and guns and soldiers and threat of nuclear warheads and that kind of thing. Supposedly it's more dangerous and the only solution is begging, which will eventually end the war. It was all over the news, remember? Ah go on, you remember!

Oh do forgive me. I am uneducated ass hole :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I was out having dinner with two Romanian friends at the weekend. Afterwards we were standing on the street for a few minutes talking when a Roma came up begging. So this kid started pushing for money until one of my friends told her in Romanian 'no thanks' (he's a lot more polite than me). The girl just started laughing and headed off immediately. They know that non-Roma Romanians will not tolerate them one little bit.

I can honestly say that my two Romanian friends are two of the nicest people I know. Decent salt of the earth types. In the years that I know them I have never heard them being negative towards another race of people or in fact pretty much anyone with one exception, the Roma. They really dislike their behaviour and are truly embarrassed to be associated with them in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I've no problem with them begging, they want to live that way it's their chice and it doesn't harm anyone, it's when they try grab you to extort money that I have a problem with them, as I've said in another thread I know a number of people, including family members, who have had this happen.
    As I also said there I've found the non-gypsy Romanians I've met to be sound (for the most part) people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I have yet to see anybody give these money so how the fcuk are they surviving :confused: The joke that is the group that lives in the roundabout at Ballymun are protesting as the Govt wont bankroll them (boo hoo) so they have resorted to harassing every car who stops at the lights at the roundabout, can they not just take a hint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

i never give to aggressive beggers like this, and find it way out of order to be hastling you when you're eating, i mean, how would they like it if you dropped round dinner time and stuck your hand in their face while they're having their dinner.

between these and chuggers, it's like an obstacle course out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I went to Paris awhile ago and there were literally dozens of Roma beggars on the streets, in fact, I didn't see any other type of beggar at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

meglome wrote:
    I was out having dinner with two Romanian friends at the weekend. Afterwards we were standing on the street for a few minutes talking when a Roma came up begging. So this kid started pushing for money until one of my friends told her in Romanian 'no thanks' (he's a lot more polite than me). The girl just started laughing and headed off immediately. They know that non-Roma Romanians will not tolerate them one little bit.

I can honestly say that my two Romanian friends are two of the nicest people I know. Decent salt of the earth types. In the years that I know them I have never heard them being negative towards another race of people or in fact pretty much anyone with one exception, the Roma. They really dislike their behaviour and are truly embarrassed to be associated with them in any way.

So what is Romanian for 'no thanks' so the rest of us can tell them to **** off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

So what is Romanian for 'no thanks' so the rest of us can tell them to **** off?

better yet,whats the romanian for "**** off" so we can tell them to **** off?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Actually I was in stockholm recently and the old part of the city was full of Romanians begging, one of them was actually funny enough (not intentionally) he was trying to play the harmonica then every now and again he shout "LA LA LAAAAA" totally out of tune and put his hands out for money...
    Well at least he was trying to earn his money :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Degsy wrote:
    better yet,whats the romanian for "**** off" so we can tell them to **** off?

I think a loud "FVCK OFF" is universally understood :D

Thirdly, i'd love to see you trying to live in a warzone. I very much doubt you;d last very long.

AH!!!...

I've actually lived in more than one war zone. Can I help you with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Tallagh?

:D

Tallagh?

:D

Beirut!.

Oh, and Tallagh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Chad,Djoubuti,Angola and finglas!:D

Uneducated? LOL

Romania is not a warzone. :rolleyes:

I never said it was mate if ye had actually read what i said and what i had quoted from someone else then ye would understand. Dont start on me for no reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Degsy wrote:
    I thought Finglas was only a "disputed zone", not an official warzone? :p
    HavoK wrote:
    I went to Paris awhile ago and there were literally dozens of Roma beggars on the streets, in fact, I didn't see any other type of beggar at all.
    Odd, they used to have drunks, there's supposedly something to do with renouncing your French citizenship so you can lie around on the street drinking...
    Was quite disturbing when one of the drunks started getting angry with us as we couldn't understand anything he was saying (French is hard enough, slurred French - no hope!).

Mairt wrote:
    Beirut!.

Oh, and Tallagh.

Beirut. Nice one im on my way there in August after I visit Iran! I just said i'd love to see him in a warzone man. Ive been in plenty myself. I'm also heading to Darfur in early 2008!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Beirut. Nice one im on my way there in August after I visit Iran! I just said i'd love to see him in a warzone man. Ive been in plenty myself. I'm also heading to Darfur in early 2008!

That'll be lovely. You'll have loads of stories of hardship and grief to preach to people back home about. I'm so jealous now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Degsy wrote:
    Sulu peninsula and Yangon in eastern Myanmar and a few other places I don't think were officially classified as "war zones" at the time, although they might as well have been...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement