Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romanian beggers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nonbeliever

Stark wrote:
    That'll be lovely. You'll have loads of stories of hardship and grief to preach to people back home about. I'm so jealous now :)

HA!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

there is one roma man who hangs aroun Mullingar with 4 moving motorzied puppets, a cd player playing Irish music and he stands there paying either a tin whistle or an accordon. He doesnt ask you for money he just stays there plaing one of his insterments and hopes people give him money. At least he tries and doesnt cause any bother to anybody you can just ignore him and he wont do anything to you.

I was stopped at a set of traffic lights in Droeghda one day and one comes up and starts to wadh my window. I told him no and he kept washing it. I turned on my wipers as a deterrant but this didnt work. When he was done he banned on my window and depmanded money I told him no at this point he became very aggressive and knocking hard on my windows. I was lucky the lights turned green otherwise felt he would have smashed my windows.

My point is theres good and bad in every race. Unfortnetly for thr Roma's we gererally only see the bad ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

flogen wrote:
    Damn right - those asylum seekers get loads of money - tonnes of the stuff. Way more than the Irish get. Way, way more.

And they have really sophisticated scams too. I heard a story once from a friend of a friend about them. One of them came up to him and asked for some spare change and he said "ok", and put his hand in his pocket and gave them, like a euro or something. And then they walked off.
    These kinds of scam artists should be sent back to the warzones they came from tbh. They just haven't got the same class or decency as the Irish beggars.

Classic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Beirut. Nice one im on my way there in August after I visit Iran! I just said i'd love to see him in a warzone man. Ive been in plenty myself. I'm also heading to Darfur in early 2008!

Have you been in Romania, seeing as thats a warzone by your standard! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Don't worry, the very well educated know the difference between the odd car bomb and an actual war. Seriously Poblachtach, what're ya like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

/me waits for the influx of filthy pan handling beasts from Blanchardstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

spooiirt!! wrote:
    I live in Germany where immigrants are twice as likely to commit a crime and twice as likely to become unemployed.
    No chance that this is the fault of the Germans? How did they deal with their minority populations in the 1940s?

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

MM

Blush_01 wrote:
    Don't worry, the very well educated know the difference between the odd car bomb and an actual war. Seriously Poblachtach, what're ya like?
    I was'nt questioning the intellegence of Roma Gypsies, if you care to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Now look, I'm not a poncy liberal but - I do have a lot of sympathy for these beggar types. I don''t think its escaped anyones notice that its invariably the Roma women and children who have to do the begging. I wouldn't tell a beggar to f**k off but I wouldn't mind waiting around for their husband to fetch them and then directing my indignance towards him...in a completely non-violent manner of course.

I give money to some Irish beggars and to no Romany beggars. I do give money to Romany buskers because I like the music. I'm not sure if this is racist and I don't care. It is my money and I can do what I want with it.

I would be very sceptical of accepting the word of any eastern Europeans about what 'they' are like. After all the Romanians had the Iron Guard and tried to out Hitler Hitler. The Poles had instituted a series of discriminatory laws against Jews when they were invaded. Look at how culchie workers would describe our own Travellers to English people.

That said there is a cultural problem and the Roma way of life is no longer viable. I propose tyaking the kids wawy from them and putting them into fostering in Ireland. It would certainly be better for the kids than living at the side of the road.

MM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

That said there is a cultural problem and the Roma way of life is no longer viable. I propose tyaking the kids wawy from them and putting them into fostering in Ireland. It would certainly be better for the kids than living at the side of the road.

Sounds like a great idea but...it didn't work out too well in Australia or the US.

I was'nt questioning the intellegence of Roma Gypsies, if you care to read.

I'm not sure I get where you're going with this one. I was still poking fun at the highly intellectual, super-educated war zone hopper. I wasn't questioning the intelligence of the Roma either, it takes a lot of smarts to survive solely on what you can beg and steal, which (as has generally been acknowledged) some of them do.

Blush_01 wrote:
    I'm not sure I get where you're going with this one. I was still poking fun at the highly intellectual, super-educated war zone hopper. I wasn't questioning the intelligence of the Roma either, it takes a lot of smarts to survive solely on what you can beg and steal, which (as has generally been acknowledged) some of them do.
    True. But I was basically stating Romania was not a warzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Anyone listen to the Adrian Kennedy phone show last night? They were talking about the Roma camped out on the M50 ... there was absolute war!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Glowing wrote:
    Anyone listen to the Adrian Kennedy phone show last night? They were talking about the Roma camped out on the M50 ... there was absolute war!

I only heard a bit of the show but as far as I know they decided on this discussion because of a joke the people have been sending around on their mobiles, it goes something like

"There is a humanitarian crisis going on by the M50, many poor Roma Gypsie families have been forced to camp out on the side of the road while they await proper housing. We cannot let this humanitarian crisis go on for any longer, for just €5 euro you can purchase one can of petrol to burn a gypsie family out"

I may have that slightly wrong but you get the gist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I give money to some Irish beggars and to no Romany beggars. I do give money to Romany buskers because I like the music. I'm not sure if this is racist and I don't care. It is my money and I can do what I want with it.

I would be very sceptical of accepting the word of any eastern Europeans about what 'they' are like. After all the Romanians had the Iron Guard and tried to out Hitler Hitler. The Poles had instituted a series of discriminatory laws against Jews when they were invaded. Look at how culchie workers would describe our own Travellers to English people.

What aload of bigoted,generalising tripe.YOu cant trust the word of anybody in romania because of something that happened 60 odd years ago?The poles didnt institute "discrimaniatory laws against jews WHEN they were invaded",they'd always hated the jews,thats why the jews lived in "jewish" neighbourhoods,because of the pogroms that had been instituted against them on and of since the 1300's.
    As for "culchie workers"..where to start..are they some sort of half-witted sub-breed that hates travellers and is forced to go to england because of thier stupididty??Truly,you talk an incredible amount of rubbish.

True. But I was basically stating Romania was not a warzone.
    Gee, my bad, because there was I thinking that Romania was ranked four or five in warzone of the year 2007.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Do people think that Roma Gypsies come from Romania because "Roma" sounds a bit like "Romania"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Glowing wrote:

Been away the past two weeks so have only noticed this now. I work up in Ballymun and travel via the m50. The past couple of days there have been children as young as 7-8 yr old begging at each of the sets of lights around the roundabout between 8:30 and 9am. One of them is going to end up getting knocked down if nothing is done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I wonder how long an Irish person living on a roundabout on a motorway
    with kids would last without a social worker arriving to take the kids into
    care. Surely keeping your children in these conditions with the risks
    from rats/fire/car crash and no toilet/cooking/washing facilities is a form
    of child abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Surely keeping your children in these conditions with the risks from rats/fire/car crash and no toilet/cooking/washing facilities is a form of child abuse.

I don't think they have a choice really. They can't get work permits, they can't get the dole. Your probably right, if Irish kids were kept in those conditions they might be taken in to care. The Roma kids just seem to be left there.

lightening wrote:
    I don't think they have a choice really. They can't get work permits, they can't get the dole. Your probably right, if Irish kids were kept in those conditions they might be taken in to care. The Roma kids just seem to be left there.

They could allways **** off back to wherever they came from as an alternative.I'm sure they could beg the airfare in a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Louth4sam

Do Roma Gypseys not come from Pakistan? These people are thieves and beggars its not in their culture to work. It also really pisses me off that they get to sell the big issue when they are not homeless. A disabled guy used to sell it in dundalk and now there is a smelly roma gypsey in his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Louth4sam wrote:
    Do Roma Gypseys not come from Pakistan? These people are thieves and beggars its not in their culture to work. It also really pisses me off that they get to sell the big issue when they are not homeless. A disabled guy used to sell it in dundalk and now there is a smelly roma gypsey in his place.

I think that they all took a hike from India centuries ago. Apparently they were escaping persecution and prejudice :confused: . I wonder where they were before they arrived in India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

They are ignorant swine. I was surrounded by 4 of them on the bus last friday. All women, one beside me, 2 across from me, and one behind me. The one beside me shouted on her phone in romanian for the whole trip, the one behind me threw her rubbish onto my seat as she left, she practically threw her crap into my lap ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Louth4sam

ejmaztec wrote:
    Apparently they were escaping persecution and prejudice

Interesting so if we carry out enough persecution and prejudice towards them they might leave here too?

You got to look at it this way they are the only people that have immigrated to Ireland that offer nothing to society. All other cultures and groups at least try and make an effort. One of the posters earlier said that not all of the roma gypseys are bad. I've never heard of anybody talking about them in a good way or any decent or working ones they have encountered. A friend of mine is a garda in the centre of Dublin and she says that half the people she arrests are foreign nationals with roma gypsys making up a large chunk of them

Blush_01 wrote:
    Gee, my bad, because there was I thinking that Romania was ranked four or five in warzone of the year 2007.:rolleyes:

False. Romania is not a Warzone.

False. Romania is not a Warzone.

Ironing.:rolleyes:

Degsy wrote:
    What aload of bigoted,generalising tripe.QUOTE]
    Good one coming from you generalising certainly but bigoted how?
    Degsy wrote:
    .YOu cant trust the word of anybody in romania because of something that happened 60 odd years ago?
    Yeah I would suspect that Romanians talking about Gypsies are about as reliable as Germans talking about Jews or Australians talking about aborigines.
    Degsy wrote:
    The poles didnt institute "discrimaniatory laws against jews WHEN they were invaded",
    Can you read? I said had instituted it's in your own quote. They kicked Jews out of the civil service, professions and universities before the German invasion.
    Degsy wrote:
    As for "culchie workers"..where to start..are they some sort of half-witted sub-breed that hates travellers and is forced to go to england because of thier stupididty?
    Half of them were sent of to England to do scutwork and coolie labour and drink themselves to death and the other half voted for the parties that were sending their kids and siblings off. So make up your own mind.

MM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I would suspect that Romanians talking about Gypsies are about as reliable as Germans talking about Jews

Godwin's Law strikes again. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement