Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Course - Does happiness or joy exist?

Options
  • 07-06-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Seriously, if you look at the majority of the poems for paper two, you'll find that brón, uaigneas and maybe aiféala will dominate the poem. The stories are mostly old fashioned stories which contain little or no joy in them.

Then, for the aiste's today we got the choice of writing something about global warming, the spoiltness and bad-manneredness of the youth or TG4. People also complained that only fun-filled topics like "na basanna ar na mboithre" or "an coriulacht" didn't come up.

Seriously, the people who make out the Irish exam and course must be the most miserable bastards walking god's green earth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭óbriain1988

well to be fair the stair side is full of gliondar and the like.... you have the flight of the earls... the whole platation side of things... the decline of the language... séan ó riordáin who's about the only fella to have a decent poem on the course getting tb.... sure if that's not sona sásta like i don't know what is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

20 per cent for tape is a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

what about an mathair and Dan Do Mhelisa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

mathew wrote:
    what about an mathair and Dan Do Mhelisa
    Yeah, and even with the latter she says she'd willingly crush herself in a mill to see her daughter happy. These poems are the exceptions, as is Níl aon Ní.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eefsie

Personally i think its great that theres such an overlap - less terms n stuff to kno then n if u havent got a clue like about mothúcháin or whatnot u can jus take the chance itl be summat depressing!

Also, is anyone else not doing a tap for this exam? Im hoping to do well in irish but i just cant be motivated to study - we did every poem/story at least twice in school n i luv the way the poem is on the paper so u can just get ur answers from there... imagine if it was like that in english! Ha :D i wish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Come on, its a well known fact that all these two-bit poems and short stories bring the language into disrepute such is their tedium.

They're just all so tiresome and the notes on all of them dont make sense. They say stuff like "the diction and the imagery of the poem suit its theme" and non-sensical malarkey like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

Fiche Blian ag Fás?
    A Thig Ná Tit Orm?
    Lig Sinn i gCathú?

They're all quite funny.

An Máthair is nice. It goes against the image of skinny, dying old people.

Cearrbhach Mac Cába isn't depressing. In fact, it's the exact opposite. Even though he's sent to Hell he still makes it into Heaven that old rogaire!

I can see where you're coming from though. But you're being a little bit over the top.

I will grant you though that the Irish language has, throughout history, been associated with suffering and poverty. This has changed over the last few decades though. Now Irish is the hip thing! Yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eimear89

A Thig Ná Tit Orm is flipping hilarious. Maidhc Dainin is some fecker, no wonder he produced a son like Daithí O Sé.
    My favourite part of the book is when he's trying to get lucky with some girl he met at a dance and she says she's got something to tell him. He get's all excited thinking he's in there and then she says that she's got the "calling" from God and she wants to be a nun!
    Another fav part of mine is on the last night of the Gaeltacht summer course he goes climbing up the window of his girlfriend's house. The bean an ti hears him and comes out and starts walloping him with a brush. very funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

The only thing that annoys me about the book is that everything seems to revolve around poo!

"is fearr paiste ná poll mar dá mbeadh paiste ar do pholl beadh deabhadh ort é a scaoileadh!"

"mar is é an chat a chacann an piscín!"

It makes people living in the Gaeltacht seem simple. But yeah, it's good. I don't understand why HE wrote an autobiography. He was just an ordinary man. Did you find that weird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Well, the English course has its fair share of darkness also. It's literature in general really. What's interesting about happy people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Well, the English course has its fair share of darkness also. It's literature in general really. What's interesting about happy people?
    I'll give you that alright. None of the Irish poets are a patch on Plath. Seems as though one of the key elements to be a great poet is that you have to have a depression at some stage in your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 -blondie-

eimear89 wrote:
    A Thig Ná Tit Orm is flipping hilarious. Maidhc Dainin is some fecker, no wonder he produced a son like Daithí O Sé.
    My favourite part of the book is when he's trying to get lucky with some girl he met at a dance and she says she's got something to tell him. He get's all excited thinking he's in there and then she says that she's got the "calling" from God and she wants to be a nun!
    Another fav part of mine is on the last night of the Gaeltacht summer course he goes climbing up the window of his girlfriend's house. The bean an ti hears him and comes out and starts walloping him with a brush. very funny

Haha-great book! Not alot of people end up doing it though!

Well I understand where you're coming from with the whole depression side of things!

All the pointless poems an dstories is the reason why so many people end up doing pass. I mean look at the honours compressions (full of depression and the likes) compared to the pass ones(golf and Aoife Ní Thurasing) ugh......!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stickytape

I agree.....like jesus the stuff is sooooo miserable...like Nuala Ni Dhoimhail and Cathal O'Seirligh ain't too bad.....they should have more ALIVE people like that on....modern texts that people can relate to besides the bloody slut bag Maire Ni whatever........and DEFO Mairaid Noi Ghrada was infuenced by Sylvia Plath cause the play was written a yer after Plath died and yet again an oven and a suicide come together to form another over rated depressing farce of litreature

And in paper I have they heard of a litle thing called colour and pictures.....even in English the paper i full colour and in fairness in english the texts are usually interesting or relatable enough besides the usual long winded irish ones.......
    and don't erven get me started on the numbering and layout of the Paper 2- its an absoulte disgrace......not only have u to answer the question u need a map to get to the bloody thing.....

SO GLAD i NEVER have to speak irish again............famous last words

stickytape wrote:
    And in paper I have they heard of a litle thing called colour and pictures.....
    How do colour and pictures make a difference?

And there are pictures....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stickytape

JC 2K3 wrote:
    How do colour and pictures make a difference?

And there are pictures....

Because the paper looks more appealing.....like in english they do make a difference.....as the paper looks better.........and only recently have they used colour pictures....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

What's interesting about happy people?

LOL..yeah they make me sick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

I don't know about the examiners being miserable bastards....I mean I think they have a good sense of humour based on the cluastuiscint.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been saying this for ages, finally I find someone who agrees with me! "An Triail" needs no introduction from me, everyone knows how pessimistic that is. While "Oíche Nollag na mBan" is by far my favourite thing on the course, it's also pretty dark and gloomy. "An Mháithir" isn't depressing in terms of subject matter, it's just an awful piece of poetry. Same can be said about "Dán do Mhelissa".

What I find most annoying is the amount of complaining we're expected to do in the béaltriail and the aiste. It's all drugaí, easpa saoirse, easpa áiseanna, coiriúlacht, sceimhlitheoireacht, fadhbanna sóisialta, brú, brú, brú, alcól, slad ar na mbóithre AND let's not forget: ní thuigeann daoine fásta faic!

I know teenagers are stereotyped as whingey little pests, but the Irish course actually encourages it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cossyx

The course is dull and depressing well there are a few exceptions - Fiche Bliain ag Fas is one but having to study An Triail was excruciating and depressing and not so much as a happy ending, no she kills herslf and an paiste in a fecking oven...

An Fhile wrote:
    What I find most annoying is the amount of complaining we're expected to do in the béaltriail and the aiste. It's all drugaí, easpa saoirse, easpa áiseanna, coiriúlacht, sceimhlitheoireacht, fadhbanna sóisialta, brú, brú, brú, alcól, slad ar na mbóithre AND let's not forget: ní thuigeann daoine fásta faic!
    That's your teacher's fault.

I wrote a nice essay a while back on dangers in the world being all down to media hype.

• Advertisement
Advertisement