Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History (H)

Options
  • 07-06-2007 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

Predict please, I've done nothing so what should I start with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cossyx

For European History I'm learning Hitler very very well apparently there was not a mention of him last year so it's looking likely...well that's what the teacher told me anyway!! other than that I don't know what else I'm learning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Its hard fellow student because there is no pattern. However, I think your right :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Is this the first or second year of the syllabus, if so,...predictions are useless as well....same with Irish ordinary. pfft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 -rach-xx

Im so worried about history. I feel like i have been working all year yet i still know nothing!

Does anyone think its a safe bet to just quickly look over 1885/1886 elections rather than learn it well? im running out of time and cutting everything down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I predict that no matter what happens, people won't be happy with what comes up.

Bismarck and Hitler'd be essential to know I'd've thought. Fianna Fail in Irish history maybe. But make sure you know the GAA and the Lockout pretty well.

• Advertisement

GAA, ffs man. :(

GAA, ffs man. :(
    I find that the easier of the two, but different horses for different courses I suppose. If they ask anything but the actual lead up to the Lockout, I'd be bollixed in that answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aminimhurchadha

if you cover nazi germany pretty well you can't go wrong, GAA and anglo-irish relations and treaty....if you're doin america i recommend the moon landing and vietnam. bon chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

But theres **** all you can write about the GAA.Oh it was founded, it became really popular, some stuff with the IRA happened, and the parnellite split hit it badly.Thats it in a nut shell.THERES JUST NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION ON THE DAMN THING!!

But theres **** all you can write about the GAA.Oh it was founded, it became really popular, some stuff with the IRA happened, and the parnellite split hit it badly.Thats it in a nut shell.THERES JUST NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION ON THE DAMN THING!!
    • How the industrial revoloution changed sport, i.e. how rugby, soccer and all that was set up in Britain. As Ireland was in Britain at the time, it was one of the first to be affected.
    • Cusack and Davin's articles calling on Irishmen to take the running of gaelic sports into their own hands etc.
    • The first and second annual conferences. The first one was historic for obvious reasons, chose Parnell, Croke and Davitt as their patrons to boost popularity. Two journalists were present so media coverage was good. Second one had the rules being drafted up, state the key ones.
    • The infiltration of the IRB and how it affected the GAA.
    • Priests got pissed off, got rid of the IRB more or less from the central council.
    • IRB still recruited at GAA matches, had some power in GAA. Parnell divorce nearly destroyed GAA.
    • IRB decided to keep politics and sport seperate and lived happily ever after. The End.
    That'd be the main jist of an essay on the GAA.

• Advertisement

IRB if I dare say :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Sinn Féin, anybody?? Now that would be a nice essay..... It's also pretty easy.
    Arthur Griffith founded it - believing that Britain and Ireland could work under a policy of dual monarchy (based on the system already in place in Austria and Hungary.) Kinda went nowhere, although they had over 100 branches by 1905 and were the first party to admit women. Then.....decline.....
    And then after 1916, all the British called the Rising a "sinners" rising and poor old Griffith was arrested for kind of no reason. When he got released, he reformed the party, all the Volunteers wanted to join. De Valera naturally got to be president (in the Ard Fheis of 1918.) He then became President of the Volunteers, so they all worked nice and closely together. The party changed its policy of dual monarchy to a policy of nationalism, while still using the parliamentary abstention thing.
    1918 election - they had loads of advantages going into it. HR was losing appeal as was Redmond. SF successfully resisted the Conscription Crisis of 1918, their members were young and energetic unlike the HR fogeys, lots of support *Cumann na mBan etc,) They appealed to the people cause they said they'd carry on the work of the 1916 martyrs.
    Bottom line, they did really well in the election. Marciewicz got elected (big whoop cause she was the first woman) but they didn't take their seats. Held the meeting of the first Dáil in January 1919, this would lead to the War of Independence and the Treaty and an independent Ireland
    The End.

(Yay, i actually know it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I forgot about factual recall studies;)
    I am screwed for this paper, English(H) is a walk in the park compared to this.

I might just drop to Ordinary seeing as I have enough honours subjects and I could potentially r4pe the ordinary paper, which is a better prospect than failing it again like the mocks.

GOD DAMM YOU HISTORY I F****** HATE YOU!!!:)

Naikon. No. If you have done your research topic in Higher and you drop, you lose whatever marks you earned in your project. You have already got marks with the project, push a little bit further and get the pass ;)

Selphie wrote:
    Sinn Féin, anybody?? Now that would be a nice essay..... It's also pretty easy.
    Arthur Griffith founded it - believing that Britain and Ireland could work under a policy of dual monarchy (based on the system already in place in Austria and Hungary.) Kinda went nowhere, although they had over 100 branches by 1905 and were the first party to admit women. Then.....decline.....
    And then after 1916, all the British called the Rising a "sinners" rising and poor old Griffith was arrested for kind of no reason. When he got released, he reformed the party, all the Volunteers wanted to join. De Valera naturally got to be president (in the Ard Fheis of 1918.) He then became President of the Volunteers, so they all worked nice and closely together. The party changed its policy of dual monarchy to a policy of nationalism, while still using the parliamentary abstention thing.
    1918 election - they had loads of advantages going into it. HR was losing appeal as was Redmond. SF successfully resisted the Conscription Crisis of 1918, their members were young and energetic unlike the HR fogeys, lots of support *Cumann na mBan etc,) They appealed to the people cause they said they'd carry on the work of the 1916 martyrs.
    Bottom line, they did really well in the election. Marciewicz got elected (big whoop cause she was the first woman) but they didn't take their seats. Held the meeting of the first Dáil in January 1919, this would lead to the War of Independence and the Treaty and an independent Ireland
    The End.

(Yay, i actually know it!)
    The really annoying thing is that I know the exact date, or at the very least the month of everything you mentioned in that summary....and yet I couldn't for the live of me actually remember the events themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Naikon. No. If you have done your research topic in Higher and you drop, you lose whatever marks you earned in your project. You have already got marks with the project, push a little bit further and get the pass ;)

Well, I checked with the SEC indirectly through my teacher and she said they disregard that fact If you drop down.
    There is no way I am prepared to tackle Higher level history at this stage.
    I think its a bit too risky to be honest, as it was the only subject I failed in the mock.

Huh.Just realised I forgot to make predictions when I poster earlier.Ok.Here goes.

Impact Of Sovereignty and rise of partition:Fianna Fail 1932-1934 (threats faced or economic and political policies, both foreign and domestic), the inter-party government of 1948 (economic and political policies, the role they played in turning Ireland into a republic etc).

Dictatorship and Democracy:The main events of World War 2* (ie key battles, invasions etc), church state relations in the facist dictatorships (mention latern concordat treaty, reichskirche all that stuff.Hope this doesn't come up as theres only so much you can write about it).

Division and realignment:Westrn economies 1945-1973 (the golden age, Jean Monnet, Ludwig Erhard, Richard Stafford Cripps and so on), the communist economies 1945-1990, the end of communism 1985-1991 (Gorbachev, perestroika, glasnost, his speech at the UN, all the revolutions etc).

*I think this one is particullarly likely, because they didn't ask any questions about the actual war last year.

If I get one of those essays in each section I'll be very happy indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 uss.education

<spam>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

Well these are the predictions from my teacher who's opinion i respect...
    Dismantling The Treaty
    Building the Free State
    France 1920-1940
    Stalin Creation Of Totalitarian State
    Hitlers Foreign Policy (Origins of WWII)
    Second Vatican Council
    Moves Towards European Unity (Apparently is a certainty)
    Document - GAA

persian wrote:
    Moves Towards European Unity (Apparently is a certainty)
    Highly doubtful seeing as how it came up last year.Also that Stalin question isn't likely either as a similar-ish question came up last year too.

• Advertisement

Building the free state also came up last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Here's a list of possible D&D questions, these are not hints, but the essays that have come up in the past [or in pass papers]:

Winston Churchill, contribution to British affairs.
    Nuremberg Rallies
    Word war 2 [ in general, i.e the causes, and how it developed]
    USA involvement [unlikely IMO...but who knows]
    USSR involvement [good question]
    Stalin
    Home Front in Britain
    Church State Relations in Germany/Italy
    France, Third Republic and Vichy State [Stregnths and weaknesses on 3rd, collaboration and resistance on Vichy]

Best way to prepare in a short time is to learn the key personalities, since there's a good bet there's a question on their impact in one of the sections IMO. [in the entire paper, not just this section]. Sadly there are no guarantees.

Best way to prepare in a short time is to learn the key personalities, since there's a good bet there's a question on their impact in one of the sections IMO. [in the entire paper, not just this section]. Sadly there are no guarantees.
    Ah but higher level doesn't really focus on key personalities to that great of an extent.Its more about the ''overall picture'', whereas pass is more about key personalities and key moments.So while you should definitely have some knowledge of key personalities for higher you don't really need to know stuff like when they were born, their birth date or anything like that.You just need to know about their relation to important events, and perhaps a little bit about their ideals/outlook of the world (ie Pearse's blood sacrifice, Hitler's aryan race and anti-semitism etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I meant their impacts on events, many questions are centralised around leaders, for example: Unionist Party in power [Craig], Nazi Party in Power [Hitler], Facism in Italy [Mussolini] and so on, as I said, that is more of a "if you're desperate to study at last minute and know nothing" situation really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Murns

It's the EU anniversary this year isnt it? I think thats why European Unity might be up.
    It's impossible to know though.

I hate hate hate hate history :[

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

So long as something on Nazi Propoganda comes up the whole country is sorted for Dictatorship and Democracy. Honestly, the only things in that book I could comfortably answer a question on are anglo-american popular culture or anything to do with Hitler

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Nazi propaganda would be so deadly, did it in mocks, 2 marks away from full marks.

C'mon SEC..take a few hints from DEB mocks....

Nazi propaganda would be so deadly, did it in mocks, 2 marks away from full marks.

C'mon SEC..take a few hints from DEB mocks....
    Corrupted morals I dont suppose you send me a scan of that essay, or even just a brief outline of what you wrote, because I just can't see how there could possibly be enough to write a full essay on Nazi propaganda.I mean sure you talk about Gobbel's and his controlling the media, Hitler and his cult of personality, and the Nuremberg rallies, but what else can you really write about?In the mocks I did the question on church state relations, so i've nothing to go on as far as the propoganda thing is concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I just can't see how there could possibly be enough to write a full essay on Nazi propaganda.I mean sure you talk about Gobbel's and his controlling the media, Hitler and his cult of personality, and the Nuremberg rallies, but what else can you really write about?

Isn't that enough? There's so much you can write about. Bare in mind that the Nuremberg rallies contains a considerable amount of information thats relevant to Nazi propoganda. You'd get at least 2 paragraphs talking about the 1934 rally, Leni Riefenstahl, Nazi cinema and scenes from Triumph of the will alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The Role of Women anyone?

Advertisement