Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History (H)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

The documment questions are on case studies only IIRC.

BTW, does anyone ahve a good essay on the Rallies? I only ahve one their contribution to the creation of a totalitarian state? Or is that the type of question you would get asked, because I know it well and got 90% on it...I don't think they'll ask you to talk only about the rallies! But just incase, any help? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jc 2K3 wrote:
    The question was something like:
    "Which had a greater impact on international tensions? Bismarck's relationship with the Catholic church or Wilhelm II's naval policy. Argue your case"

Ah crap, my apologies. I know the exact title, very easy essay. Thought that was a Sample Paper essay. At least it was Bismarcks Church-State relations, and not foreign policy trhough.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭thesto

think if you study the economic and social and religion sections you'll be ok??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

thesto wrote:
    think if you study the economic and social and religion sections you'll be ok??!
    If you feel you can get enough points out of each section to warrant an essay, go right ahead. Personally, I don't think there's enough information in a lot of the social and religion sections to warrant a 3/4 page essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

Im going to be very happy if Nazi propaganda comes up!!

My dream exam would be..

The lock out for Documents
    Nazi Progaganda
    State censorship (or what ever that essay title is, you know what im on about)
    Medical, Scientific and machincial advances 1870-1920

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Mushy wrote:
    Ah crap, my apologies. I know the exact title, very easy essay. Thought that was a Sample Paper essay. At least it was Bismarcks Church-State relations, and not foreign policy trhough.
    Considering I know Bismarck's foreign policy well enough to write a decent essay on if it happened to come up, I reckon I won't study it tonight.

Eastern Question; causes, events and results of WW1 and the Russian Revolution for me.

Eastern Question; causes, events and results of WW1 and the Russian Revolution for me.

Person after my own heart, except the Russia thing, haven't got a decent essay on it. I'm adding the Versailles Treaty though, it's a good one to study because it applies to both areas of European history in a few possible questions, especially in regards to Germany. [nations States and D&D] I also included Women in the Workforce and Karl Benz, both case studies, and since one came up last year.. How did the literature of World War I reflect changing attitudes towards the war? let's hope one comes up again! :cool:

Tbh, I hate last years paper, because some questions were very open ended. I mean, the first one on D&D was simply talk about Hitler & Mussolini and then minorly mention other fascist dictatorships, which can be a 10pg essay, means we might not get either, and both are easy to write about! So I hate it because how it could impact our paper. I imagine a lot of people did well, so now we get a harder one! :mad:

on another note for irish history, last years paper just seems to scream, we didn't talk about the Treaty once. It goes from 1920 to 1922! :D Ah well, good luck everyone! At least an extra hours sleep, don't have to get up till 8:30, or later if we want! [I'm studying, last minute style]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

JC 2K3 wrote:
    You're not supposed to learn essays, you're suppsed to learn the whole stories and are expected to write about the question asked on the day.

Oops, ye thats what I mean. When I say essays, I mean chapters. I write out notes on a chapter, learn them off and then write them out in the exam.
    Im only doing 4 chapters from Sov and Part, 3 from Nation States and 3 from D & D. And Im not going to do the 85-86 elections

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

BrightEyes wrote:
    And Im not going to do the 85-86 elections
    Oh risky....i'd cover it just to be sure.I mean its not even that big of a section.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I'm thinking that Sinn Féin and the 1918 elections is going to come up! Either that or Society in the inter war years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

JC 2K3 wrote:
    You're not supposed to learn essays, you're suppsed to learn the whole stories and are expected to write about the question asked on the day.

Ouch....we learn by the essays....when you recognise the question you write that essay...no way would I make it up on the spot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Rampart

dismantling the treaty. is that basically, britain and ireland couldnt agree with the anglo irish treaty, came up with some proposals, rejectd, irish delegation set up 2 go 2 london, agreed then on treaty, people like devalera angry at what was agreed so on and so forth?

all in quick summary of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

I just woke up after falling asleep for most of the after noon. Im going to chance something really dodgy because I wont have everything learned well enough before tomorrow....

Im going to learn the last section out of all of the books, as well as the case studies and the chapters they are in.

Learning all documents.

If it doesnt work out, meh I'll be xanaxing it up.

Rampart wrote:
    dismantling the treaty. is that basically, britain and ireland couldnt agree with the anglo irish treaty, came up with some proposals, rejectd, irish delegation set up 2 go 2 london, agreed then on treaty, people like devalera angry at what was agreed so on and so forth?

Nah, slight bit different. In 1931, the Statute of Weestminster was passed. This allowed any dominion to overule any existing laws introduced by the British control previously. Then, when FF took control(1932 I think, or 1933), they used this to go to town on the Treaty. Firstly, they got rid of the Oath of Allegiance, then downgraded the Governor-General. In the Abdication Crisis, DeV introduced two acts, one which got rid of the G-G. Then he introduced the Bunracht na hÉireann, a "republic in all but name". Then, in the Anglo-Irish Agreement(not Treaty), there was the removal of the Treaty ports. And so the main things of the Treaty were dismantled, except partition.

Rampart wrote:

all in quick summary of course
    ....Thats only the actual treaty negotiations ITSELF.You didn't mention ANYTHING even CLOSELY related to the actual dismantling of the treaty.

I'm thinking that Sinn Féin and the 1918 elections is going to come up! Either that or Society in the inter war years.
    Sorry, but both of them came up last year.

I think I'm right in saying that the dismantling of the treaty would be a popular question, right? If that doesn't, Norn Iron better come up. Or else. :mad:

Sorry, but both of them came up last year.

I think I'm right in saying that the dismantling of the treaty would be a popular question, right? If that doesn't, Norn Iron better come up. Or else. :mad:
    Eh?Sinn fein didn't come up last year did it?And what the hell is Norn Iron?

Eh?Sinn fein didn't come up last year did it?And what the hell is Norn Iron?
    It kinda did. I think it asked what led to the partition of Ireland from 1912-1920, and Sinn Fein would've been a big factor in that.

Norn Iron = Northern Ireland in a Northern Irish accent.

Norn Iron=Northern Ireland.

I think society of the war period came up, not inter-war, so that'd be handy. Plus, with society, theres always economy in the same question, which is handy.

Mushy wrote:
    Norn Iron=Northern Ireland.

I think society of the war period came up, not inter-war, so that'd be handy. Plus, with society, theres always economy in the same question, which is handy.
    Oh, you're right actually. Well, here's to inter-war norn iron so.

• Advertisement

Norn Iron = Northern Ireland.

Ah.Thats what I was thinking.But sure they asked bout that last year....Something about the war experiences of Northern and southern Ireland.I didn't actually do the section, although we did do the case study bout Belfast for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I'm hoping Northern Ireland comes up. Never covered it in class but it was covered nicely as one of the sample answers in Exam & Career guide.

Also, I'd say Women in the workforce shall make an appearance though the question will probably be something like 'What impact did war have on the economy in Britain and Germany' so make sure you know the chapter preceeding the case study fairly well.

It kinda did. I think it asked what led to the partition of Ireland from 1912-1920, and Sinn Fein would've been a big factor in that.
    I wouldn't exclude everything between 1912 and 1920 due to that though. I'd say a question on Arthur Griffith wouldn't be too unlikely.

Do you reckon the War of Independance or the Civil War are worth studying? I might leave both out and study all of Fianna Fáil from 1927 to 1939 instead, do you think this is wise?

Well, I just realised something crappy. The last few generations of people in my family have all gotten their A in this god-damned subject, so I've high expectations to live up too:p At least I've just finished revising everything, gonna start again in a few mins. Women in the Workforce will come up I say. As I just said to a friend, women will be mighty peeved that they arent on the exam again:p. At least equality is good for something:D. Think I'm pretty much covered by now, hopefully I nail a few quotes aswell in each essay and can get my A. If not, well, a B is still good.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Do you reckon the War of Independance or the Civil War are worth studying? I might leave both out and study all of Fianna Fáil from 1927 to 1939 instead, do you think this is wise?
    I reckon that one of the two wars'll come up this year AND Fianna Fáil since Cumann na nGaedhael were asked last year. So yeah, I'd say you're reasonably wise.

SAMPLE PAPER QUESTIONS:
    Ireland: Topic 3
    The pursuit of sovereignty and the impact of partition, 1912 – 1949

Attempt one of the following questions:
    1. What were the factors that contributed to the success of Sinn Féin in the 1918
    general election? (100)
    2. How well did Ireland, North and South, cope with the economic problems of the
    inter-war period? (100)
    3. How did de Valera’s pursuit of sovereignty, 1932 – 1945, affect Anglo-Irish
    relations? (100)
    4. To what extent did the Eucharistic Congress (Dublin, 1932) and/or Belfast’s
    experience during World War II promote a sense of collective identity? (100)

Europe and the wider world: Topic 2

Nation states and international tensions, 1871 - 1920
    1. Do you consider that caution was the keynote of Bismarck’s foreign policy?
    Explain your answer. (100)
    2. How important was the contribution of Karl Benz to the invention and early
    history of the motor car? (100)
    3. To what extent was anti-Semitism a threat to the political well-being of France
    and/or Russia during the period, 1871 – 1914? (100)
    4. As World War I progressed, why did it prove so difficult for either side to make a
    decisive breakthrough? (100)

Europe and the wider world: Topic 3
    Dictatorship and democracy in Europe, 1920 - 1945

1. To what extent did Germany’s social and economic problems lead to the rise of Hitler and the Nazis? (100)
    2. How successful were Stalin in Russia and/or Mussolini in Italy in using the
    personality cult as an instrument of propaganda? (100)
    3. How did the Jarrow March (October 1936) draw attention to the social and
    economic problems in Great Britain at that time? (100)
    4. What was the impact of World War II on the “home front” in Great Britain, 1939
    –1945?

Interesting, would be slightly screwed on ireland TBH, gonna do De Valera and sovereignty now, and Finna Fail governemnt, which leaves me fairly well covered! Italicised ones are ones thast are cearly similar to ones up last year.

It was Cumann na Ngaedhal setting the state up on firm foundations last year, right? I'd be hoping for their economic policy if they were to appear again. I wouldnt leave out the Rising, just incase, you never know, could give a very nice title like "Describe the causes of the 1916 Rising and account for the Main Events of the Rising?" Worded better you know, but you get the idea.

Interesting, would be slightly screwed on ireland TBH, gonna do De Valera and sovereignty now, and Finna Fail governemnt, which leaves me fairly well covered! Italicised ones are ones thast are cearly similar to ones up last year.
    I'd kill a man for that paper. Or at least rip his arm off. :(

Mushy wrote:
    It was Cumann na Ngaedhal setting the state up on firm foundations last year, right? I'd be hoping for their economic policy if they were to appear again. I wouldnt leave out the Rising, just incase, you never know, could give a very nice title like "Describe the causes of the 1916 Rising and account for the Main Events of the Rising?" Worded better you know, but you get the idea.
    Looking at all the sample papers and last years paper I don't think they're likely to ask that though.

I'm thinking "What was the impact of the 1916 rising?" or "What were the causes of the 1916 rising?" would be far more likely.

"Describe the events of the 1916 rising." just doesn't seem to fit IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Chimpanzee-that

Its gettin late and i have studied nothing....

I probably only have time to learn 1 essay from each section...

So...
    Dismantling the treaty
    Civil Rights
    Propaganda

Considering my lack of time and that im fairly tired... should this get me by?
    Or do i need a miracle?

Advertisement