Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History (H)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I am TERRIFIED.
    I know: Sinn Fein, 1916, Treaty Dismantling, FF - which should get me through that section.
    I also know: Nazi Propaganda, Mussolini (kind of) and Causes of Second World War - which hopefully will get me through that section.
    For the third section, I'm so screwed. All I know is the Cold War. I know nothing about the EEC, nothing about Western/Soviet Economies, no social stuff. I swear to God...if the Cold War doesn't come up...... I'll throw myself out a window.
    And I haven't even looked at the documents. Praying its the Lockout, that seems the easiest of the two. I really need a B... Will be studying from nine till two tomorrow. This is the worst prepared I've been for any exam. So annoyed with myself. *Crosses fingers and prays for a miracle*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Please let it be Nazi Propaganda. I'm grand for Mussolini, Hitler, Lenin and World War 2. Irish- everything from formation of irish Volunteers to Civil War covered. Sinn Féin question would be nice. And Civil Rights..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

What came up? The document, 1912-1949 for Ireland, 1871-1920 and 1920-1940 for Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Goebels

document was GAA

1912-1949 for ireland, was how did the NI of 1939 differ from the NI of 1945
    an essay on Pearse
    anglo irish relations between 1923-1949
    i dont remember the last one

europe 1920-1940
    what were the characteristics of nazi germany up to 1949?
    problems that faced the vichy france government
    what contributions did soviet russia make to WWII
    the impact of the jarrow march

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I wish I did history :(

• Advertisement

carlowboy wrote:
    I wish I did history :(
    No you dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Goebels wrote:
    No you dont.

Seconded ... :(

Those aren't bad topics in all fairness.

Em, you can't really say that if you don't do history....

Well, if I didn't do physics and saw about leptons on a paper, I wouldn't have a clue what's going on yet when I see that, I know a bit about it already.

And the teacher in the school had apparently predicted all those topics too.

• Advertisement

Enough to write a three-four page essay with dates, quotes and perfectly relevant information?? I think not.
    Well, that's nice that the teacher in your school predicted it, but many many other teachers predictions were wrong...spare a thought for the rest of us, for whom that paper was rather disastrous.

Lol - what Goebels said!

I've heard predictions from a ton of teachers, and they all said the same. Rising, elections, specific ones on deV, foreign policy of hitler/mussolini... and none of it came up.

But I guess the teacher you're on about must be a special prophet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

What the **** was with the Nation States questions; Woodrow Wilson and Wilford Own, I never even knew those guys were in the book. And to ask 2 out of the 4 questions on obscure nobodies such as those 2, I was always going to be pretty ****ed. No Eastern Europe or Sluts in the workplace? **** me, I had to write on Wilhelm who I haven't studied since Christmas.
    Luckily the other questions were a stroll in the park on the paper and I did a good special topic, otherwise I would've been royally ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Shut up carlowboy, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. This is NOT Junior cert stuff. I'd love to see you write a 3 page essay in 39 minutes, then do it again..and again. The nazi essay was 1933-1939 btw, not 1949.

I did GAA (obviously), didn't love the contextualisation question, but it was decent enough. Pearse question was great, so was Nazi State and Civil Rights. Timing was awful though, everything's a huge scrawl, just about managed to get it done in time. WHY NOT the extra 10 minutes?? Scabby really.

I'd say I secured the B1/A2..that paper was just a dream for the stuff I love and know really well. Was dreading it though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 123444444

I was loving that paper. Anyone who didnt get an A1 must be an absolute fool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

that wasnt 2 bad now at all....got 3 long essays dun wit loadsa stuff in em....wait and c till august now!

Shut up carlowboy, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. This is NOT Junior cert stuff. I'd love to see you write a 3 page essay in 39 minutes, then do it again..and again.
    Seconded!

I'd say I secured the B1/A2..that paper was just a dream for the stuff I love and know really well. Was dreading it though..
    Hey, lucky you. I needed at least a B3, if not a B2/B1.... Hoping to God I pulled it off, though with my disastrous Cold War, I'd say I'll be lucky to get the B1 *crosses fingers*

Goebels wrote:
    I've heard predictions from a ton of teachers, and they all said the same. Rising, elections, specific ones on deV, foreign policy of hitler/mussolini... and none of it came up.

But I guess the teacher you're on about must be a special prophet.

She's a brilliant teacher, best teacher in the school

Obviously I couldn't write those essays now, but had I started it in fifth year or maybe 6th year, it could have been a good subject. Some of the biggest idiots in my class will probably get A1s in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

BrightEyes wrote:
    What the **** was with the Nation States questions; Woodrow Wilson and Wilford Own, I never even knew those guys were in the book. And to ask 2 out of the 4 questions on obscure nobodies such as those 2, I was always going to be pretty ****ed.

Agreed. For the love of God like, they expect people can rattle off 3-4 decent A4 pages on the life and poetry of Wilfred Owen? I don't think there's even that amount in the textbook. Like you I went for the Wilhem II option and haven't properly covered it in a long time. Managed to bullshít my way through 8 paragraphs (six of which were alright). Thank God the options on the other questions weren't bad. I did Anglo Irish relations and features of Nazi Germany.
    Overall I was happy though, I'd say I got a B2 or a B1
    No Eastern Europe or Sluts in the workplace? **** me,

*admits I laughed* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Listen, at least we can all rejoice that what's been the hardest subject in the leaving for a lot of us is finito, over, complete, never to be seen again (hopefully).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Steve01, did the exact same questions as yourself. Nazi Germany one was like sex on legs...whatever that looks like! The Wilhelm essay was insanely easy, 8 good paragraphs in 40 minutes, and took my time on it. Anglo-Irish relations was a nice little one to have in there, covered both governments. I focused mainly on FF, but did include CnG, so its fine.

Must agree with the Wilfred Owen thing though. Bit of a joke as theres hardly anything on him within the book. But in saying that, I never let it bother me, cos I was never going to do him anyway.

EDIT: Haven't A Clue, keep it to to yourself, I might be doing history in college next year<insert suitable emotion/smiley here>. Mixed emotions or what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Mushy wrote:
    EDIT: Haven't A Clue, keep it to to yourself, I might be doing history in college next year<insert suitable emotion/smiley here>. Mixed emotions or what.
    My deepest sympathies.

Actually, history was one of the more interesting subjects on the leaving cert course, it's just when you're usually limited to one essay per topic in the exam, it's not very fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah, totally agree with ya. So much to do, and for an exam that appeared to last about 10 minutes, it barely seems worthwhile. I think its just the whole rugurgitating facts as fast as possible that gets people. I think apart from English, this has been my toughest exam yet. Right to the end, just making sure on everything.

P.S. wasnt annoyed either at what ya said, in case ya think that. Trying to keep things civil here:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

123444444 wrote:

Your an idiot...was a tough paper, lots of similarities from last year, and Woodrow effing Wilson??!!

Did 5 pages on Anglo Irsh relations
    5 pages on Naval policy and Franco-German tensions
    5 pages on Nazi characteristics.

1 1/2 pages for Gaa contextiulisation.

I feel Gooooood, but my hand needs to be grafted back to my arm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I always wonder how one does 5 pages....

I never go over 3 in my histroy essays, all my essays today were 2-3 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

My essays are also generally 3 apges, but when I rush my writing varies, literally from paragraph from paragrpah in size, most essays were 3 and 3/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I always wonder how one does 5 pages....

I never go over 3 in my histroy essays, all my essays today were 2-3 pages.
    Neither well I.The most i've ever written for any essay EVER was exactly 3 fullscap, and that was on my essay on the anglo-irish relation things today.....however my writing is amazingly small, and usually contains a MINIMUM of 14 words to a line....so I guess 2 and a half of my written is bout 4 of a normal person's.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

123444444 wrote:

Very rarely do I laugh out loud in response to a post. Kudos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Neither well I.The most i've ever written for any essay EVER was exactly 3 fullscap, and that was on my essay on the anglo-irish relation things today.....however my writing is amazingly small, and usually contains a MINIMUM of 14 words to a line....so I guess 2 and a half of my written is bout 4 of a normal person's.
    My writing is 9 words to a line.....

I've always been this way though. Often my teachers have given me high marks but said to me, although I had everything there, I could flesh it out a bit...

I think there's something in my brain that prevents me from writing anything irrelevant...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

The Nazi question is so open, you could have talked about anything - economic policy, propaganda, the treatment of the Jews, foreign policy. If you studied Hitler, you would have been fine for that question. Everyone should have studied Anglo-Irish relations...1923 to 1949, gives you so much to talk about. Again, if you studied Dev, you would have been fine for this question.

Advertisement