Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History (H)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I don't see how foreign policy really fits in with characterististics of the Nazi state....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 petebrickette

The characteristics would be what defined the Nazi state at the time and so you could bring foreign policy into it to illustrate these characteristics.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

****iing disasterous paper for me. Mussolini, role of women, Treaty debates, War of indo, FF.... NOTHING I STUDIED CAME UP!!!! i was ok with Wilhelm/Franco-german relations, cos I'd learnt causes of WW1. I basically regurgitated the 1916 Rising for that Pearse question...is that ok??
    Knew GAA off by heart thank GOD that came up and not strike&lockout. Wtf was with Wilfred Owen??? And Jarrow march? The problems of interwar period came up last year :(

Feck I better passss.... *cries*

The characteristics would be what defined the Nazi state at the time and so you could bring foreign policy into it to illustrate these characteristics.
    Hmm.. I guess so, I'd have felt that that question was more of an internal policy question rather than a foreign one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Lol, yeah I said the Nazi State was characterised by a strong foreign policy, and talked about that for a while. Forgot all about education - crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 petebrickette

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Hmm.. I guess so, I'd have felt that that question was more of an internal policy question rather than a foreign one....

I dunno, I used both so hopefully they'll ignore the irrelevant (sp?) one! Ah sure it's over now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I done terribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

All I spoke about in the NAzi state characteristics was the changes to education, the youth movements, Goebels and his censorship, Leni Riefenstal's movies, and then for my last (not conclusion) paragraph I wrote about german rearmarment (ie rebuilding of luft waffe, conscription, Anglo-German Naval agreement etc).All in all I felt it went grand.

Mine was basically:

Introduction, how Hitler came to power.
    Gleichschladung(despite the fact I didn't really know what it meant)
    The Nazi Labour Front
    Law and Order, SS and Gestapo.
    Education
    Youth Movements
    Propoganda
    Conclusion

It looks impressive, but what I actually wrote kinda fell short on facts, figures and dates. Was all a bit too vague really....

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Mine was basically:

Introduction, how Hitler came to power.
    The Nazi Labour Front
    Law and Order, SS and Gestapo.
    Education
    Youth Movements
    Propoganda
    Conclusion

It looks impressive, but what I actually wrote kinda fell short on facts, figures and dates. Was all a bit too vague really....

I did:
    Introduction (how he came to power)
    Violence, terror, etc.
    Lack of human expression; breakdown of democratic state, etc.
    Anti-Semitism
    Foreign Policy
    Propaganda
    Economy
    Conclusion

Not in that order, and I think there was more. I still can't believe I forgot education though.
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    Er yeah, what is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

Selphie wrote:

Er yeah, what is that?

Its cordination or something, I dont know what It meant I just put in about the enabling act that lead to Hitler presuing his cordination policy which was to become a main blah blah... I dont know if it did or not, had to tie it into the title some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Taffy89

Thank |God mine is basically the same as everyone elses....

Intro
    -when he came to power how he set up the police state,purging etc..lebensraum(sp!)
    -eradicating unemployment, consription public work schemes etc.
    -education
    -goebbels and propaganda
    -light of the long knives (terror)the merging the chancellors office and president
    -anti-semitism/nurmburg laws and kristallnacht
    -Chuch-state relations
    Conclusion

think i had one more paragraph not sure...I thought mine was a bit basic tbh..

If another girl in my class had more points than me although i had enough would I get marked up against hers because some seemed to be writing loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

For the characteristics of the Nazi State, I did the thing that early on in that book(Edco one):

Intro
    Strong leadership
    Transform Economy
    Anti-Communism
    Propaganda
    Cult of Leader
    Anti-Semitism
    Extreme Nationalism
    Conclusion

They're all the characteristics of the Nazi State. Thought that was an easy title.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I basically wrote about all the same things as stated above for that question. I absolutely loved the Role of women question and should get full marks. My biggest problem was being a bit vague when referring to dates but I'm hopeful for a good result.

Only have two more tests left, my friend has 4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 juicy-couture11

oh my god!! i was freakin at the irish topic. wud it have bin ok 2 stick the treaty in 2 anglo-irish relations???:confused:

the question was 1923, wasn't it?? So it depends on what you said about it really....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 juicy-couture11

uh-oh. i wrote a lot about it....i couldnt think of anything else as that was all i studied snd my very bad teacher promised us it wud come up. sooooo infuriated!!! :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I always wonder how one does 5 pages....

I never go over 3 in my histroy essays, all my essays today were 2-3 pages.

Words per line? I don't think there's the time for 5 page essays if your word-per-line average is 10+. My writing was a giant scrawl for history..usually get 13 words a line, this was about 11. Longest essay was Nazi one, 3 pages and a paragraph.

I had:

End of world war one- November criminals- treaty- reparations- disastrous social economic conditions- NSDAP- Hitler as leader of it- fantastic orator- huge following- Hindenburg made him Chancellor- Hindenburg dies- Fuhrer- the election-rule by decree

Press and radio- state control, other political parties banned, strikes and trade unions banned etc. SA, SS and Gestapo set up. Houses searched blahhh.

Propaganda- Goebbels, had a quote of his too..press and radio glorified regime..nuremberg rallies, Hitler's speeches. Schoolbooks changed, everything glorified Hitler. Triumph of the will, olympics

Anti semitism- denounced as 'aliens'- rights slowly eroded- star, forbidden theatres blahhhh

Conclusion was good for once. Very happy with that essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Mine was mainly about foreign policy, since I knew that better, only did a page on social and economic affairs. I started off saying: The characteristics of a state can be found both in its foreign policy and its social and economic policies.

I didn't get all I wanted to do though, mainly talked about foreign policy and propaganda. Violence and brutalness were other ones.

personally I think half of that essay was interpreting what Hitler and the Nazis did and stating how was it a characteristic, i.e, identify that characteristic. It wasn't just a case of, write what you know about Nazi-Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

I did the Wilfred Owen question. I just transcribed Dulce et Decorum Est from JC English. Ha!

I didn't really. When i looked at it first i thought my nightmares of sitting there for 2hrs 50 with nothing to write were coming true! Then i looked a bit closer, and i was able to give the europeans a good go.

I did 1.5 pages contextualisation
    5.5 pages Anglo-Irish(teacher predicted it)
    3.5 Franco/German tensions(Bismarck's foreign policy basically)
    2.5 Jarrow march

I just bluffed the jarrow q completely! I made up a load of facts i had an inkling of hearing... Something about a heated swimming pool in Barnsley??!!

• Advertisement

3.5 Franco/German tensions(Bismarck's foreign policy basically)

Thought that as well, too risky for me though. He only pissed France off once after that it was containing France basically, which isn't much about their relations as it is his relations with A-H and Russia. Moroccan crises are vital for that answer as well.

i didn't write anything about Morocco... crap

I didn't hav a clue about any of the other choices tho.

Let's just say my 'tension' links were tenuous at best!!!
    'France were mad because they were isolated'!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

My Franco-German tensions bit only really focussed on the Morrocan Crises. Got two quite long paragraphs on them. Forgot bout stuff with Bismarck, but it didnt really contribute to the war in such a great deal. I came from the angle that, cos of the first Crisis, it brought France and Britain closer together, making an Alliance form against Germany. That and the tensions combined make some good stuff.

I said the competition between Germany and Britain during the naval race drove Britain to France. I guess there were alot of different angles on that one. It was quite broad when you thnk about it now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jeannine

Did anyone else run out of time? left my nazi question til the end and it was crap!!! spent too long on the documents

I should have expanded on the Morrocan Crisises more, but it would have resulted in a 4-5 page essay, which would be disproportionate with the 2-2.5 page essays on the other topics I did. I basically just said that there were two crisies in 1905 and 1911 involving Germany foolishly trying to stop French expansion in Morroco and cuaseing tensions between them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

you wrote 2.5 / 3 pages?

how many paragraphs?

I was basically just going for quantity.....everything relevent gets marked. Lots of small paragraphs bout 4/5/6 marks each. Had plenty of them so i could guarantee myself full 60/60 cumulative marks and get above 25/40 on overall evaluation. that way, almost an A on each Q

Anyone else go for this strategy?:(

I didn't go into much detail either, I mainly stated what happened, and the impact this had. The main crapiness in that question was the selectivity, if it had been Wilhelm's foreign policy, it would have been a much easier essay.

I'm same as you AM, I didn't trust myself in some aprts to right 8 perfect paragrpahs, so went for a strong balancing system. TBH, it is a stupid system for me, too selective.

you wrote 2.5 / 3 pages?
    hmmm...

1st Essay: On Pearse, round 2.5 pages, bout 8 paragraphs I think.
    2nd Essay: On Wilhelm's naval policy/Franco German tensions, just over 3 pages, 7(big, almost half a page each) paragraphs.
    3rd Essay: On The Nazi State, just over 2 pages, 9 paragraphs.

I've never in my life written a history essay longer than just over 3 pages and my marks are usually in the high 70s, low 80s. Best essay ever I did was 87%. My teacher's also a very hard marker.

History actually is about quality. I've written paragraphs half a page long that've only gotten 6/7 and I've written ones which were a quater of a page long and got 11. It all depends on what you've written, is it relevant or is it waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

JC 2K3 wrote:
    hmmm...
    It all depends on what you've written, is it relevant or is it waffle.

crapola, now im doubting myself....some of it is waffle....actually was just trying to fill up as much space as i could. But i feel what i wrote in each essay was relevent to the topic and question in hand

Advertisement