Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History (H)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

You're probably fine if it was relevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

I hope!

I was really nervous going into that exam, the only one i felt like that. Its the one i wanted to do really well in and i put far too much pressure on myself.

Jus roll on August

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Arctic monkeh. pretty the same as you. Loads of pressure on myself, really hoping to do well. At least those 8 history essays I didnt hand up didnt come back to bite me in the ***. Maybe with some luck the stuff I put down may be more relevent than I thought, cos if thats the case, I'll be fine. Just depends on the examiner really.

yeah some examiners can be eh...a little off. One person i know got marked a C2 and got it re checked to a B1!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I've never in my life written a history essay longer than just over 3 pages and my marks are usually in the high 70s, low 80s. Best essay ever I did was 87%. My teacher's also a very hard marker.

Why not aim for higher? If you go to college and study history, essays have to be 1500 words and sometimes higher. Write as much as you can without going above 4 and a half pages(for time reasons). BUT it must be relevant.

Btw, short paragraphs will generally be joined together to get one specific mark. The examiner will know if you're trying to be smart and writing lots and lots of paragraphs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

i did terrible in my history exam.

i didnt get the document question d finished ( wrote about a page)

my anglo irish relations essay was terrible.

wrote about office of governor general
    dismantling the treaty
    external relations act
    election of then president,
    de valera creating for himself the office of taoiseach.
    ireland could remain neutral in the second world war.

my nazi essay was terrible, i just wrote an essay on propaganda.

then i did the marriage and family question in division and realingment.

i had a bit of extra pressure put on my self going into this exam me being leaving certificate history student in my school. i did absoulutely terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

regob wrote:
    i did terrible in my history exam.

i didnt get the document question d finished ( wrote about a page)

my anglo irish relations essay was terrible.

wrote about office of governor general
    dismantling the treaty
    external relations act
    election of then president,
    de valera creating for himself the office of taoiseach.
    ireland could remain neutral in the second world war.

my nazi essay was terrible, i just wrote an essay on propaganda.

then i did the marriage and family question in division and realingment.

i had a bit of extra pressure put on my self going into this exam me being leaving certificate history student in my school. i did absoulutely terrible.

By the sounds of your first two essays you did ok. All the topics you talked about were relevant to the question. Concentrating exclusively on propaganda will lose you some marks in the overall mark but if you have the general 8 to 10 paragraphs, you could still get an A. How much did you write?

ateam wrote:
    By the sounds of your first two essays you did ok. All the topics you talked about were relevant to the question. Concentrating exclusively on propaganda will lose you some marks in the overall mark but if you have the general 8 to 10 paragraphs, you could still get an A. How much did you write?

for my irish i wrote about three and a half, for my nazi a couple of lines over three pages and for my last one i wrote four

regob wrote:
    for my irish i wrote about three and a half, for my nazi a couple of lines over three pages and for my last one i wrote four

you certainly wrote enough, if its all relevent, you should be fine. dont worry bout it

cheers, was bit worried not as much now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Hahahaha.After looking back at my mock paper I feel pretty much guaranteed i'll get a B in this exam.I mean I'm amazed I even passed the damn thing.My essay on the treaty dismantlement was LAUGHABLE.It doesn't even have any dates, years or names in it, bar the 1931 statute of westminster and De Velara.God its complete ****.My last paragraph is ****ing HILARIOUS though.

''And so in 1939 De Valera (with the help of many others) decided to turn Ireland into a republic, and introduced a new constitution which created the Republic Of Ireland.Ireland was now completely independent, after almost 800 years of British control.De Valera had finally achieved his republic''

............But none of that is even REMOTELY right!!I mean I didn't even give the constitution's name or the correct year it was introduced.And according to that Ireland was already a real republic before the first world war.ITS ALL WRONG!!!And I still got 5 marks for the paragraph....somehow.Also another funny thing I said in the essay

''Through careful negotiation, De Valera obtained the treaty ports from the British''

.....and thats it.No mention of the economic war or anything.And I don't even name the ports either!!Funny stuff.So with 2 essays like that, and one essay not even attempted I still got 51%........Which means i'm probably pretty safe for a B in the real thing, especially with my kickass project.

hahahaha at least you can laugh about it! Tbh , it was kinda bad!

But hopefully that B will be there on paper In August;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd never even be bothered comparing with my mocks. They're marked so awfully bad. Either way too high, or way too low. i only got 51%, and thought I did better than I did. Hopefully not a sign of things to come:p!

Make sure ya never look back on essays that you did in 5th year. I came across some the other day...depressing reading. At least it shows we learned something after all the torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I reckon I went down from my mocks....

what you get on them?

Advertisement