Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Attitude to L plates

Options
  • 07-06-2007 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

I was out in my sons car today which has L Paltes on it, (I have a full licence). While driving on a dual carriageway at the speed limit of 80kmh some lunatic passed me on the hard shoulder doing about 120KMh.

I observed him as soon as he started to make his crazy manouver so he didn't catch me by surprise but he could have caught a less experiences driver off guard and frightened the life out of them.

I'm just wondering is this sort of stuff common now if cars are displaying L Plates because I don't remember experiencing stuff like it when I was learning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

time they are a changing.

tbh you shouldn't be driving a car with L plates on at all as a side note.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Since I took the L-plates off after passing my test, I've noticed nil difference in other drivers' attitudes towards me.

Tbh, I think I get more hassle for driving a small car.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

Well if its any consolation i was driving to a restraunt on the templeogue road on sunday when some eejit in an audi overtook me at 120k plus on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cremo wrote:
    you shouldn't be driving a car with L plates
    That old chestnut raises its head now and again. Although it's illegal in the UK for a person with a driving license to drive a vehicle with L plates, there doesn't seem to be any similar prohibition here. Therefore, I would assume that it's perfectly legal.

It's OK for car instructors with their little removeable roof signs but think of trucks and buses which are usually done up in 'learner' livery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

nope, i cant say ive ever had a problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I just passed my test the other day and afer taking the L plates off. I have noticed no diffrence. Lets put it this way. I always obey the speed limnit but it seems to me that 60% or more dont at all. I work near the aiport and when you drive onto the N1 from the coolock on ramp, the speed limit is 60kmp/h and then 50 when you go under the bridge at whitehall. Most people seem to just overtake me it is a favoite spot of the garda to catch people speeding. But in general it seems people always drive 20kmp/h above the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

jjbrien wrote:
    I always obey the speed limnit but it seems to me that 60% or more dont at all...... But in general it seems people always drive 20kmp/h above the speed limit.

Agreed. I often travel the M50 from Tallaght to Red Cow, where the limit is 60k, drive at the limit but am made to feel like a nuisance by the cars and trucks pulling out behind me to overtake at about 80k.

I drive my wifes car with L plates sometimes, and find that while there is the occasional other road user who seems to assume you'll do something daft and cuts up inside or similar, there are others who give you more room/time. So I'd say it all balances out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I also haven't noticed a difference since taking down the plates. There's always people who break the speed limit, and don't pay you much regard if you're a learner or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Yeah, I guess I get it alot because:
    a) I drive a small car.
    b) I am a girl.
    c) I am a learner.

I always drive the speed limit (when possible, safe driving distance when not) but like others am made to feel like a right nuisance ie. overtaking at crazy speeds, tailgating. I'm just trying to drive safely!
    Older men driving Mercs, BMWs seem to be the worst culprits, but I just see it as their problem, I'm going to do the right thing regardless of how far up my ass they drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What about learner drivers attitudes to the actual L Plates themselves? Why do so many learner drivers cut the L out of the L plate and only stick that up? Do they not want people to know they are L drivers? Is this legal? Could a tester refuse to test the L driver because they don't have proper L plates?

As for the drivers attitude to L drivers, I find that some drivers feel they can bully the L driver and they dont give the time or space that they should. Speaking for myself I do give L drivers time and space.

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote:
    Is this legal?
    No. Legislation states that it must be a red L on a 15cm white background.

Could a tester refuse to test the L driver because they don't have proper L plates?
    Yes, it will result an automatical cancellation of the test (except in categories where it is not required).

....and what about the many L plates which are put up back to front? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

No. Legislation states that it must be a red L on a 15cm white background.

Yes, it will result an automatical cancellation of the test (except in categories where it is not required).

....and what about the many L plates which are put up back to front? :rolleyes:

I have been wondering about the L plates put on back to front myself. There is some crazy stuff going on but I cant understand the thinking behind cutting out the L of the plate and just sticking that up.

Here is one that really puts the cat amongst the pigeons as they say, what the many L drivers who cut the L from the L plate and manage to put that up the wrong way?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Floppybits wrote:
    I have been wondering about the L plates put on back to front myself. There is some crazy stuff going on but I cant understand the thinking behind cutting out the L of the plate and just sticking that up.
    I'm sure its got something to do with them feeling that its 'cooler', or whatever term is in this days.
    Here is one that really puts the cat amongst the pigeons as they say, what the many L drivers who cut the L from the L plate and manage to put that up the wrong way?:rolleyes:

If a cop saw this, right or wrong way up, they should pull the driver. Of course, thats like saying they should pull people with L plates on motorways. The don't and they won't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's not illegal for someone on a full licence to have L plates up, but I think it's misleading. I have magnetic L plates on my car, since it was suggested by someone here. That way if someone else wants to drive it, they just take them off. If people who aren't learners are driving around with L's, what's the point of them? Thay are supposed to let other drivers know they're a learner so they can beep them, tailgate, overtake etc as appropriate.

As for people who put the L's on backwards; I just don't get them. If you don't know how to stick an L plate on, how can you have the brain capacity to drive? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

my car has stick on L-plates that do not come off, and i have 11 named drivers, 4 of whom have full licences. the fully licenced drivers drive my car with the L-plates in situ. its not a crime, all it is intended to do is ask other road users to be courteous and give you a little more space and time.
    I am constantly overtaken or tailgated when i am doing the speed limit and its so frustrating. The overtaking i don't mind as much, but when people tailgate me its actually quite intimidating and rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

I could feel the difference.
    Forgot to put my L plates at the begging.. since I got them on, there is more tailgating on me. Don't mind if they do that in town but when on the road i let them overtake and usually give'em a sign to do so.

'Magic wrote:
    =)']I could feel the difference.
    Forgot to put my L plates at the begging.. since I got them on, there is more tailgating on me. Don't mind if they do that in town but when on the road i let them overtake and usually give'em a sign to do so.
    Just wondering do you drive a small car. I myself do and because I drive a small car everyody thinks i cant do 120 kph but when i am doing 120 km they still overtake me. In my mind its mostly about the car you drive.

5dr corolla hatchback - can't imagine myself in anything smaller then that :)
    No one ever overtook me at 120km/h :D

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

why would someone on L-plates ever be driving at a speed of 100+ km/h. This is the highest speed an L driver is allowed to approach, surely you other learner drivers are'nt breaking the speedlimit or illegally using motorways! ;-)

'Magic wrote:
    =)']5dr corolla hatchback - can't imagine myself in anything smaller then that :)
    No one ever overtook me at 120km/h :D

So every driver doing 140km/hr - 160km/hr on the motorway slowed down in respect when they caught up with your car?
    jjbrien wrote:
    Just wondering do you drive a small car. I myself do and because I drive a small car everyody thinks i cant do 120 kph but when i am doing 120 km they still overtake me. In my mind its mostly about the car you drive.

Being overtaken doesn't count as harassment. Those people overtaking you are just driving along merrily doing whatever speed they intended to do that day. Your car counts as a blip in their left eye, of which they'll barely remember the colour.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote:
    So every driver doing 140km/hr - 160km/hr on the motorway slowed down in respect when they caught up with your car?
    Yes they should they are breaking the law. The speed limit is 120kph not 140 or 160. The speed limit is the law and 120kph is fast enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I just saw a pink mini cooper for sale on autotrader. Who love to see how other drivers would respond to that, especially if it had L plates!

jjbrien wrote:
    Yes they should they are breaking the law. The speed limit is 120kph not 140 or 160. The speed limit is the law and 120kph is fast enough.

So they slowed down for you so you wouldn't see them breaking the law? Fecking hell, respect to you or what. Tell me your secret, you drove a Mondeo with two ariels on it to make everyone think you were a Garda, didn't you?

Edit: Woops, it's the other guy they slow down for. Yup, you're right, it's all about the car. Gardaí don't drive small cars unless it's a Yaris :p

why would someone on L-plates ever be driving at a speed of 100+ km/h. This is the highest speed an L driver is allowed to approach, surely you other learner drivers are'nt breaking the speedlimit or illegally using motorways! ;-)

ask these L drivers who drives that fast ;-)
    I never said directly that I'm driving over speed limit ;P ;-)

Stark wrote:

no, not at all.
    when I see in a mirror someone whose approching me very fast and there's no oncoming traffic I move to the left and give him a sign to overtake. Let him fly! I don't drive on motorways - it's illegal ;P
    Besides on motorway you have two lines, sometimes three.. so the slower drivers keep to the left and those who want's to go faster drives on the right.
    am i right ?
    Karyn wrote:
    I just saw a pink mini cooper for sale on autotrader. Who love to see how other drivers would respond to that, especially if it had L plates!

If my bank gave me a loan I'd be driving "impreza" with L plates on now :D what other drivers would say to that ;) lol

Magic_ wrote:
    =)]Besides on motorway you have two lines, sometimes three.. so the slower drivers keep to the left and those who want's to go faster drives on the right.
    am i right ?

I'm sure you're just taking the piss after reading all the threads with people getting worked up on the main Motors forum.

'Magic wrote:
    =)']I move to the left and give him a sign to overtake
    Even though you are being courteous, strictly speaking, you shouldn't make any gestures towards another motorist, even if it is to their advantage. It's an automatic failure in a driving test.

Stark wrote:
    I'm sure you're just taking the piss after reading all the threads with people getting worked up on the main Motors forum.

don't remember any of those threads. My opinion comes from watching the traffic while travelling around Europe. In most of the european coutries drivers follow that simple rule.
    Once in a while you meet a w***r draggin in the fast lane but he knows he has to move off that line i will do so sooner or later however I don't see that too often on irish roads.

Even though you are being courteous, strictly speaking, you shouldn't make any gestures towards another motorist, even if it is to their advantage. It's an automatic failure in a driving test.

I know that but driving on your own and driving with instructor/ tester are two different things. There must be some communication between drivers and that must be something else then finger and horn.

Advertisement