Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Land Rover - Freelander

Options
  • 07-06-2007 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Thinking of buying a 2001 Land Rover Freelander 1.8 Petrol. Can anyone comment on how economical or not they are to run? Any other comments/opinions on purchasing welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

urban 23-24mpg, rural 28-30mpg. That's with a '99 one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Angel28

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Unfortunately, your real cost will be the repair bills - they are notoriously unreliable. Is there any reason why you want a Freelander in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Yeah they are a piece of ****. I have one for 6 months now. a 00 reg. Has been back to the garage more times that i care to remember(luckily under warranty). will be getting rig of it in the near future once everything is sorted on it. 1.8 petrol too. about 25-27 mpg.

Emm... you want to buy it???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I love the look of the freelander and was about to buy one but was warned off by so many people that know alot more about cars than me, i changed my mind, bought a santa-fe instead, really happy with it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Search the forum for "Freelander", there's a thread like this every month. But everyone seems to have the same opinion as Dampsquid, they're heaps of ****e that continuously give trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Second one, a '98 and a '99, both 5 door 1.8 petrols, no problems. Biggest problem was people not checking the coolant levels and blowing the headgaskets as a result.

If you don't treat a car properly, it'll give you grief. Goes with every brand.

And watch out for the internet "I-know-a-guy-who-knows-a-guy-who-once-had-one-and..." people.

Buy off a dealer and get a warranty. That way if you have a problem, it's their problem. And if they think it's going to give trouble, they'll give you the shortest, least covering warranty they can.

Advertisement