Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.204 Ruger in CZ 527 Sporter

Options
  • 07-06-2007 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Any more users out there ?

I find this a very good combo.......

Winchester Super X 34 grain are excellent. Not usually a Super X fan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

I've heard that the .204 is very hard on barrels ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Quillo wrote:
    I've heard that the .204 is very hard on barrels ?

Information I've read from america is that barrel life is the same as a .223, roughly 3000 rounds.........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Information I've read from america is that barrel life is the same as a .223, roughly 3000 rounds.........

A .223 will last 4000 rounds (or so the folks at snipercentral tell me)

Generally a fast round has a shorter barrell life than slower bigger bullet.

EDIT: correction made to barrel life figure.

Just readin there on 6mmbr webste. They are saying that the barrel life of .204 is longer than the .223. How can that be if the bullet is being pushed harder and faster through the barrel? That goes against what I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I think your thinking about it wrong (maybe your not i'm making an assumption here) but the way i would look at it is the .204 is not as affected as much from barrel wear as a .223 if you get what i mean

i.e.
    A .223 which normally shoots 1/2" groups at 100yards gets 3000 rounds through it and groups start opening up to 1"

A .204 which normally groups at 1/4" at 100yards puts 3000rounds through and groups open up to 3/4"

Some rounds are just inherently accurate like the .17hmr and will just shoot very well no matter what they're going through otheres need all the help they can get.

Another example i would make is a CZ in 17 will shoot 1/2" groups all day long and savage or marlin considered cheap (more expensive here due to import costs) will shoot 1/2" groups all day long

Now you get a .22lr in CZ and one in savage and you will notice a difference.

Vegeta wrote:
    A .223 will last 4000 rounds (or so the folks at snipercentral tell me)

Generally a fast round has a shorter barrell life than slower bigger bullet.

EDIT: correction made to barrel life figure.

Just readin there on 6mmbr webste. They are saying that the barrel life of .204 is longer than the .223. How can that be if the bullet is being pushed harder and faster through the barrel? That goes against what I would have thought

Apparently the .204 has a smaller powder charge than a .223, hence less pressure etc....read on an american varmint shooting site.... will track it down and provide details asap

• Advertisement

I think your thinking about it wrong (maybe your not i'm making an assumption here) but the way i would look at it is the .204 is not as affected as much from barrel wear as a .223 if you get what i mean

i.e.
    A .223 which normally shoots 1/2" groups at 100yards gets 3000 rounds through it and groups start opening up to 1"

A .204 which normally groups at 1/4" at 100yards puts 3000rounds through and groups open up to 3/4"

Some rounds are just inherently accurate like the .17hmr and will just shoot very well no matter what they're going through otheres need all the help they can get.

Another example i would make is a CZ in 17 will shoot 1/2" groups all day long and savage or marlin considered cheap (more expensive here due to import costs) will shoot 1/2" groups all day long

Now you get a .22lr in CZ and one in savage and you will notice a difference.

re .204 / .223 thing .......... groups have increased in both cases ...... by same amount ..... hence, same barrel life ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

I had the .204 for 6 month.

NEVER AGAIN

Swaped to .223 and am happy as a sand boy:D

Cheaper, harder hitting and more accurate.;)

Keelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Apparently the .204 has a smaller powder charge than a .223, hence less pressure etc....read on an american varmint shooting site.... will track it down and provide details asap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.204_Ruger

from my basic understanding of things the .204 in theory should have a shorter barrel life than a .223 especially if the .223 is firing heavier bullets slower.

In practice of course this difference could be barely noticeable. How easy is it to get ammo for??

keelan,

i found opposite. Amazing.........

How easy is it to get ammo for??[/QUOTE]

I have no trouble local dealer uses it too so ready supply.

Not sure if it's available generally

• Advertisement
Advertisement