Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HUAWEI E220 on other networks?

• 07-06-2007 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I have the HUAWEI E220 on Three. From what I can tell Vodafone use the same one so I assume they've got some software they give out or whatever.

Does anyone know if these modems are locked?
    Does anyone know if there's some generic software I can get which will let me pop any SIM into it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Does anyone know if these are locked ? They seem to have an IMEI like a handset, I know mine was scanned when I got it along with the 3 sim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The Vodafone modem is locked. The 3 modem is not locked.

Vodafone will give you unlock instructions upon request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've tried both a Vodafone and O2 SIM in mine and it acts like the modem isn't connected correctly - I assume that means it's locked but can't be sure.

++ edit ++
    Just seen Urbans post ... - do I need some different software to use Voda or O2 in my 3 modem then?

Try installing the Vodafone firmware on the modem. Mine connects fine to Vodafone but hangs at Authentication presumably because I need to change the APN. Later ones may be locked, it's possible I was lucky as I ordered it the day they came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Try installing the Vodafone firmware on the modem. Mine connects fine to Vodafone but hangs at Authentication presumably because I need to change the APN. Later ones may be locked, it's possible I was lucky as I ordered it the day they came out.

you can get the Huawei generic data app from their site: just change the APN at start-up and away you go.

• Advertisement

I can culabula? I'll have a look and see tonight. Cheers :)

I can't see it there culabula ... I must be blind. You don't have a link do you?

Cheers

ciaranfo wrote:
    I can't see it there culabula ... I must be blind. You don't have a link do you?

Cheers

Are you using Windows? I think they only have the Mac version up.

Yah, I'm using XP

ciaranfo wrote:
    Yah, I'm using XP

From what I have gathered, the data modem is programmed with the APN "3ireland.ie". You need the Huawei utility to upload a new APN to the modem to use it with another provider/SIM card. For the moment, 3 only have the Mac version of that utility available from their web site.

My only suggestion in that case would be to try installing the Vodafone software for the data modem? It might change the APN for you without needing the generic Huawei utility to do so.

Edit: Spent some time on www.huawei.com looking, but they don't seem to have any useful downloads.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have the Vodafone modem software that I could try out?

ciaranfo wrote:
    Does anyone have the Vodafone modem software that I could try out?

I meant get it from the Huawei site. Latest versions are there.

Or try this: http://www.vodafone.com.au/Business/BusinessSolutions/VodafoneMobileBroadband/Downloads/USBModem/index.htm

Remember, the USB modem has the s/w for Windows in ROM already.

Thanks for the Vodafone website link. I'm downloading the software now.

I can't for the life of me find the relevent page on the Huawei website. Could you link me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Seems to be whisht, will try it out. Thanks :)

So it's telling me USIM/SIM Card does not exist or unavailable. Does the O2 or Vodafone SIM have to be a 3G SIM card to work in the modem?

Advertisement