Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to Gnome DT via leased lines

Options
  • 08-06-2007 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Recently got a linux box in work. I'm connecting to the Gnome desktop via reflection xterm emulation and its a dog i.e. unworkable, we use the same emulator to connect to a alpha tru64 box and its grand, although much lower graphic res required on the unix box. I've tried connecting via ssh and firing up the desktop from there but the same result, so I assume the problem is xterm and the x11 protocol. Both server boxes are on a different subnet to us and the subnets are linked via leased lines. Can the routers be configure to handle this traffic better or is it something else? When the emulator is used to connect on the same subnet as the linux box it motors along

Comments

How big is the leased line? They can go as small as 64kb...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

If you're tunneling your X11 over ssh try turning on compression in your ssh client. That can often improve X11 performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

koloughlin wrote:
    If you're tunneling your X11 over ssh try turning on compression in your ssh client. That can often improve X11 performance.

That was it, thanks a lot, working fine now

Advertisement