Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Cinema - Opens Today

• 08-06-2007 12:58am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I take it people have read this in the paper, but in case not, our new cinema opens today. The website is done for Waterford, http://www.stormcinemas.ie/waterford.

Some nice selection of movies, tickets are €9 per adult. Doesnt seem to be student offers yet anyway. Looking at there other cinemas, they have VIP Rooms etc. Wonder how good this one will be?

If ye end up going in, post back and let me know what ya think. Im sure anythings better then the tip we currently have - I can see them loosing business.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Yep, heard it on the radio this morning. I wouldnt mind heading in over the weekend for a look but i'd say that the place will be a bit mobbed. Probably best to wait 'till the madness to quell first. (like that new pet shop - ended up in there the weekend, couldnt move in the place).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

MMM Ben & Jerrys.... but just noticed there that they are doing unallocated ticket seating, same as the current cinema, why can't they just do specific seat booking like most other cinemas in the country?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

sillysocks wrote:
    MMM Ben & Jerrys.... but just noticed there that they are doing unallocated ticket seating, same as the current cinema, why can't they just do specific seat booking like most other cinemas in the country?!

Some people like to pick and choose where they sit, like me for instance. Its much handier. :)

Any reason why you prefer it?

c - 13; The pet-shop was mobbed as a result of a promotion on BeatFM. Iv been in there before, and it wasn't as busy. Got the girlfriend a rabbit :p

Great shop tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Sully wrote:
    Got the girlfriend a rabbit :p

Great shop tho.

I thought it was a pet shop, not an adult store:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is €9 about the country average?
    How much is the other one?
    I might actually start going to the cinema again. Hopefully they'll get the majority of films unlike the other place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

JPA wrote:
    Is €9 about the country average?
    How much is the other one?
    I might actually start going to the cinema again. Hopefully they'll get the majority of films unlike the other place.

€8 for the other one... Not much of a saving, and the new one looks better value for money!

Stupid question but where exactly is it in? Where's the front door? :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JPA wrote:
    Stupid question but where exactly is it in? Where's the front door? :o

Its located as part of that railway square development, the front door is across the road from Tesco Poleberry's entrance

Cabaal wrote:
    Its located as part of that railway square development, the front door is across the road from Tesco Poleberry's entrance

Ok cool. I only ever go past the front. Never around the back.

JPA: It really needed to be promoted in advanced. I went searching for it the other day. It didnt look anywhere near finished to me two days ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Sully wrote:
    Hey,

I take it people have read this in the paper, but in case not, our new cinema opens today. The website is done for Waterford, http://www.stormcinemas.ie/waterford.

Some nice selection of movies, tickets are €9 per adult. Doesnt seem to be student offers yet anyway. Looking at there other cinemas, they have VIP Rooms etc. Wonder how good this one will be?

If ye end up going in, post back and let me know what ya think. Im sure anythings better then the tip we currently have - I can see them loosing business.

Cheers

5 screens nothing on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The website says 'no performances this week' ?:(

Working fine for me.. im getting listings for today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah now its working - don't fancy any of them tho'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I refused to go to the other cinema so now the new one is open it might appeal to me.

Ordered my tickets.. unsecured site tho, disapointing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote:
    Ordered my tickets.. unsecured site tho, disapointing.

for **** sake, they setup a site and expect people to submit credit card details using a bloody perl script, ****en cheap skates,

will be droppin them a mail about that, I suggest everyone does the same

Emails go ignored, iv emailed several times in the last few months and only once received a very short email not even addressing my questions. News & Star for next week? ;)

Also note, they charge 60c "Booking Fee". Sorry, but if I order products over the internet I expect to get it cheaper then if I walk into the shop to pay. Plus, im paying a "fee" for a completely un-secured site. If its cheaper to buy in the store, and safer, thats what ill be doing in future.

Perl Scripts - are they not getting outdated? Replaced with ASP / PHP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Right lads, went there with a group of friends earlier. OMG, its pure f*cking class! Ben & Jerry's stand just in the front door, some tables and chair to enjoy your ice-cream while waiting for the film. Then upstairs is like a US cinema, the concession stand had stuff the other place could never dream of having - hot nuts, nice nachos (i think the old place had nachos too) etc. etc. I think the concession stand is cheaper than the old cinema too. The actual screens where amazing and the seats were really comfortable. The staff were very friendly and held doors for us too. I even have to complement them on the jacks, lol. We were even gonna stay for a second film, lol. Me and my friends couldn't stop talking about it all the way home to Tramore. I highly recommend ye go in for a gander. Bye-bye to the old cinema, methinks and about time too!! Sorry for going on about it, but it really is f*cking brilliant. Oh yea the film wasn't bad either (for a chick flick).

Unlike Minto, I decided to go see a non-chick flick - Ocean 13!

When I first arrived, it was slightly confusing as there was no signs of where to go. So we queued up outside Ben & Jerrys (the ground floor, front entrance area - seating etc. Not a bad place, probably should have more tills tho) until we were told by others that the main place was up stairs.

So we went up stairs and the ticket machine (just the one) awaited us. An error message was on screen (Windows one) but I assumed it was a once off. Clearly not - it wasn't working. Asked staff, and was told to queue. Handy enough, but when one of the lines cleared the till had broken down - so I had to queue again. This time I was greeted by an older chap (might have been the owner, or related to him) who clearly had no idea what he was doing. It took him ages to figure out the till, and to find how to get the tickets. The younger girl assisted for a bit, but once she left he got confused again. He couldn't find me by name or phone number. So, he looked it up on card number and found me. So, ordered my stuff and while he was slightly flustered he got it for me (even asked how much ice I wanted in my drink! :P). Off to a bad start, but it was there open night so I didn't care as much.

Staff took our tickets, very nice chap explained the procedure (keep tickets at all times, checks occur sometimes during film or after) and directed us to the screen. Went in and was greeted by an attendant. Lots of space at the front and the seats were big and perfectly slanted (like all cinemas should be!). They are also reclining, which was handy! (Note: Seats in the Dungarvan Cinema were bigger and more comfortable, but that's not a big issue)

Screen was very big also, and lots of speakers surrounded us. This made the film even more enjoyable - comfy seats, perfect view, great sound and great picture quality. Trailers started on time - 9AM - with the lights turned down until the movie started (after a few trailers).

The remainder of our party, who were behind us, were slightly late coming in but the assistant offered them assistance in getting them a seat. Afterwards, they explained the delay was due to the same assistant that I had - he took ages to get the order, and give the change. (Apparently, got confused between 10c and 20c coins!)

Overall, there seems to have been some problems with obtaining tickets pre-paid. The staff member we dealt with on the counter was very confused, and seemed like he had no idea what he was doing and was not trained properly. I don't think this was the case on the rest of the tills, as the queues moved on swiftly. The screen rooms were big and spacious, with excellent sound and picture quality. The seats reclined, were big and comfy.

I wont be pre-booking my tickets, at least not until they drop the ridiculous 60c booking fee on a completely unsecured website and get their ticket machine working.

Its only €1 more expensive then the old cinema, but its worth it. I know people complained that the old one was expensive as it was - but €9 for a cinema ticket for excellent quality service and screenings is nothing when you think about it. And ya, I agree with Minto about the suits - very impressive.

So.. Storm Cinema Vs. Waterford Cineplex.

Winner: Storm. Hands down.

Also, drove past the old cinema tonight - completely EMPTY by the looks of things. Staff hanging around, no customers in sight (leaving or coming). Looks like its after taking some load of business. But, with the old cinema being in the center of the town - do you think it could still prove to be popular?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭strangepaddy

i was in there last nite aswell. we got our tickets around 3 in the evenin....a little bit of a hold up the ticket printin machine wasnt work so this nice young girl gave us a slip of paper with all the details on it and when we handed it in to watch the film there was i expecting there was gonna be a problem of some sort with it... but no! straight in no hassle!

really friendly staff( well now they are......give em a few months and id say that will change), great lookin cinema, lovely seats...(recline and arm rests can be moved up so if u with ur girlfriend/wife or watever at least ye can stay close), great pic quality and sound also.

all in all i had no problems last nite with it worth slaggin about......well worth a visit. its about time waterford got a cinema worth visiting

I hadnt noticed - the arm rests move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

That's a fairly comprehensive review Sully! I think deep down we all knew it was gonna be streets ahead of that kip on Patrick St.

I'd be inclined to give them a bit of leeway with inexperienced staff/technical difficulties for the first few weeks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Went in there today with my friend to see Oceans 13, was almost exactly like the Chinese Theater in Hollywood. Proper recline so that everyone gets a good view, huge screen, perfect surround sound, even when your right up in the back too and excellent picture quality to boot. They had a few technical issues with the tills, but, I'd say by next week, that wont be a problem.

The staff were very nice, and, I would go there again in a heartbeat. You really get a great service and its worth the money. At last, Waterford has a decent cinema, all we need now is a Virgin Megastore or an HMV, and some better places to get something to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I think the problems that were experienced were teething problems it should get better in a few weeks.

I think the Cinema on Patrick St is ****ed.Its only chance now is that if someone elses takes it over and invests in it.Which would be a good thing and I would have no sympathy for the incompetent arseholes running it..However it would be bad if we went back to one Cinema in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

mad man wrote:
    I think the problems that were experienced were teething problems it should get better in a few weeks.

I think the Cinema on Patrick St is ****ed.Its only chance now is that if someone elses takes it over and invests in it.Which would be a good thing and I would have no sympathy for the incompetent arseholes running it..However it would be bad if we went back to one Cinema in the city centre.

It looks like it will go back to a one cinema city. This is no way in hell that the current crowd have the desire or the wherewithal to compete with Storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Sully wrote:
    Got the girlfriend a rabbit :p

Great shop tho.

Hope it was not a Rampant rabbit Sully :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Lovely cinema, staffed by a shower of mongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Paddy@CIRL wrote:
    Lovely cinema, staffed by a shower of mongs.
    You say that like its a bad thing. When I was there, the staff that were on duty were all Irish, not that it matters ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

My apologies, mongs isn't a racial term, its a term for "a group of people who fail to grasp even the easiest aspects of life"

I'll run through my first visit ....

Arrived at 20:35, went upstairs, Q'ed at shop. Got to counter and asked for a Student ticket

"€9"

"Whats the price for adults so!?"

"€9"

Handed in a tenner, got 70c change back. Didn't bother asking for the correct change as your one was as thick as they come. Anyways, we decided to go get our seats first and then come back and get drinks and popcorn etc ... Went over to the ushers, very well mannered, friendly and they pointed out that the film was on in Cinema 1 just on the right handside and brought herself & myself to it and said hope you enjoy the show. We walk in, its about 20:45, and the film is already on, even though the poster said it starts at 21:00. Sit down for a few minutes until we reckon the film has been on for at least an hour. Walk back out, find usher and ask him what time is it ?

"oh, eh, eh, its ten to nine"

"What time did that film start at ?"

"Let me check .... 8 O'Clock"

"Tell me this, why in the name of good Jaysus would I want to pay a tenner to watch half of a film ?"

"But your ticket is for the 8pm showing!"

"Aye but it was bought at 20:41"

"Oh hang on let me get the manager"

The manager shows up and tells me that we were given the wrong ticket and the film isnt starting until 9 in Cinema 2. We go to Cinema 2 and grab seats, alls dandy. I go on the drinks run, walking out I kindly tell the usher I'm just going to the shop, no bothers.

Returning from shop, coke in either hands, popcorn under one arm, M&M's under the other, Hitler in ****ing knickers jumps at me;

"WHERES YOUR TICKET?"

She receives what I believe to be the most dirtiest look I've ever given in my life.

"It's in my pocket" I reply

"Well I want to see it"

"Get it yourself so" As you can imagine my patience levels are at an all time low, I gesture towards my pocket. She reaches in only to be handed two cokes.

"This ticket is for the 8 o clock show sir, that film is nearly over and you won't be admitted to the cinema this late."

I'll leave the rest to your imagination on what happened.

Film starts promptly at 9, seats and viewing positions are fantastic, really impressed. Film starts, 15 seconds later house lights go up and film goes off. Five minutes later film starts where it left off. All goes well for first hour, good atmosphere from audience, until the ushers arrive in and storm up the back to start shouting at some young lads.

Fair enough, I hate lads messing and shouting in cinemas, but I was about two or three rows away from them and I couldnt hear a thing. Usher storms out and ten minutes later storms back in with three other ushers shouting to remove these three or four young lads from the back of the cinema. Cue flashlights & shouting for about 5 or 6 minutes until the guys finally stand up & leave. On his exit the usher stands in the middle of the cinema and apologises and he wishes us all to enjoy the rest of the movie.

This being Waterford, he is met with a chorus of muffled obcenities.

Great Cinema. Needs staff who at least know what the Junior Cert is.

Advertisement