Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Cinema - Opens Today

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thats the best story iv heard in a long ter paddy! I was loosing patience quickly myself on my first visit - but luckily once I left the counter I was safe ;)

But the others who were with me that night experienced the same pain I did at the counter and were given wrong change a few times. Fair enough the first day... but it should have been OK by now?!

P.S. Agree prices are steep for students, but id imagine they will at some stage update the pricing structures and offers as they have in there other cinemas

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

While staff coming into the cinema shouting at people is not ideal to be honest atleast their doing something about gob****es making noise etc and this should be commended

I've been in the old cinema where two lads came in smoking hash and drinking cans, a lad from the audience went down to say something to them and the threw an empty can at him, they were reported but staff did **** all about it.

Myself and the girlfriend went to see a horror film in the old cinema a few months back, a family came in with a bunch of kids below the age of 10, my girlfriend got pretty pissed off in relation to kids at a horror so we went out and reported it.

So eventually...after two reports, the staff came in and say it to the parents, the parents refused to leave and so the staff left them their with their kids.

****ed up if you ask me,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 southernstomper

I was there at the weekend saw oceans 13 was very impressed except for a few things:
    A: i booked the tickets on friday for the sunday show. The girl behind the desk panicked when she saw a card coming at her i dont think shes ever seen one before. After a while of figuring out what to do (nearly a week later it hasnt appeared on my statement yet and god knows how many times she put it through so no idea what ill be charged ) also i was given my ticket there and then so i had to mind it til sunday but she had the wrong date on the first one had to get it redone. It's also not chip n pin its the old fashioned signing and the counter is red hot from the popcorn you wouldnt want to have a long name!! :)
    B: Arrived on the sunday mr ben and jerrys staff dont listen :( can i have 2 scoops ended up being 1 scoop in two different tubs i kind of wanted them together :( so i kept the one just
    C: Why isnt the screen digital boo :(
    D: Bad lip sinc oh my god that drives me mad! why cant they link the voice to the actors who are saying it not 2 seconds later so that wasnt good

but apart from that its a lovely cinema looks professional compared to the last one we had, theres no dodgy line down the middle of the screen anymore yay and fingers crossed when watching an action scene from now on the sound wont drop like the last one wasnt that so annoying!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I agree Cabaal but im sure people were annoyed at the shouting but for your man to step in front of the screen and apologise - im surprised he is still alive! Funny tho.

And ya, Credit Cards & Storm = TERROR! I was told I wasnt allowed get anything with my card. :\

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote:
    I agree Cabaal but im sure people were annoyed at the shouting but for your man to step in front of the screen and apologise - im surprised he is still alive! Funny tho.

I have to say I think its pretty good that he had the decency to apologize, most staff would just walk out and leave it at that....guess we're not used to people being nice in cinema's ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Paddy@CIRL wrote:
    My apologies, mongs isn't a racial term, its a term for "a group of people who fail to grasp even the easiest aspects of life"
    <snip>
    No bothers, I should have looked it up earlier, my bad I guess.

Jaysus, thats a mile off from the experience I had. Myself and my friend arrived, went upstairs, and ordered our drinks and tickets. The guy really didnt know what he was doing, but I got the correct change, and tickets, so I just put it down to new-ness, and gave them the benifit of doubt.

Went into the cinema, really really comfortable seats, good proper sound, and proper, in-focus picture.

Only problem, no DLP. Shame, but I suspect it will be upgraded soon enough, they hardly bought brand new film projectors when film is on the way out now anyway.

Was in for a late film tonight with the gf; all went well. Got served easily without hassle, got seated without any hassle. Nothing at all to complain or winge about.

All went very smooth. Improving? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Cool, might try it again tomorrow evening, If it goes the same as the last time, I'll just go postal, that way, everyone wins ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Went there last week, cinema is amazing compared to the old one but the staff are a little bit hit and miss! Got served by an old fogie who didn't quite seem to know which coins were which when he was giving my change, didn't really know how to work the till or where to get things from and I actually suspect he wasn't sure where he was.

On the other hand, lots of friendly peeps around offering to help carry things and pointing me to screens so it ain't all bad.

Was in again last night, larger screen - very nice. Annoyed at the cost of a tiny pot of those "Hot Nuts" things. €3.90! Fecking rip off. The awl chap I had problems with on day 1 we avoided, but he was still fumbling away with his other customers which entertained us!

2 days in a row, very pleased. Id imagine it will stay that way :)

• Advertisement

User asked for quoted comments to be removed.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

I have to say I find the food prices normal for a cinema, in fact they are a good bit cheaper than Dublin. I love the new cinema, I've been to see three things in the last 4 days, melted cheese with the nachos is the best part, hmmmm.... ;)

Have been lucky enough to have had no problems any of the times I went. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

According to a good friend whos sister is a Supervisor, there is a student discount in place in our cinema ....

Paddy@CIRL wrote:
    According to a good friend whos sister is a Supervisor, there is a student discount in place in our cinema ....

Supervisor in Waterfords? Perhaps he/she should be pointed in this direction..

Also, the student discount is not advertised and some who ask dont get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Was at "Pirates of the ..." last Saturday.
    It was on in Screen 5.
    Really liked the cinema, especially the seating which was comfortable and allowed you to see passed the person in front of you.
    The one thing I found a bit annoying was that the light above the emergency exit is right beside the screen which I found a bit distracting.
    Then again, if the film had been better, I probably would not have noticed.

WARNINGThere is an extra bit to this film after the credits. Do not wait around for it. It is not worth the bother.

They are required to have that Emergency Exit sign, lighted all times. By law afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 madamebutterfly

New cinema's fantastic, exactly like the American ones. I was there with my daughter on Saturday afternoon and a crowd of messers up the back started throwing stuff down onto people below. Hope staff'll be more vigilant in dealing with situations like this, not like the Patrick's staff who seem to think it's ok to let kids run amuck and spoil it for everyone else!

Pirates of the...****e III was utter crap, went to see it in Dungarven, not worth the travel at all

Cabaal wrote:
    Pirates of the...****e III was utter crap, went to see it in Dungarven, not worth the travel at all

Sorry, was Waterford's new cinema just not good enough for ya?! :P

Anywho, I enjoyed that film. But most things amuse me I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Paid my first visit last week.

I was very impressed. Clean, plenty of legroom, helpful staff and the seating layout gives everyone an unrestricted view.

Pity the film, Pirates III, was rubbish. :)

• Advertisement

Went in last night to try pre-book tickets with a credit card. Was told they couldnt. Asked why, she wasnt sure. So I asked for a supervisor who could help but she wouldnt until I kept asking, she passed me onto another staff member (non-supervisor) who explained the tills were locked away until tmrow so they cant make any transactions.

Fair enough I guess, just would of thought purchasing credit cards didnt need tills :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭flonge

Paid my 1st visit last week!
    Its a brilliant cinema,real american feel to it.
    Its just a little bit dearer than the other one.
    The seats are so comfy,plenty of leg room and I esp like the way the seating is.
    Will definitetly go there again.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

does anyone know if there was any customers at all in the old cinema since this one opened, id say the place is empty, cant see it staying open long at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Unless they make it into an arty movie theatre...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭flonge

I'd say it's only a matter of time before the other one closes down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Just reading this thread makes me want to go to the cinema again.

Mmmm, good cinema

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Seconded.

Maybe this is a small glimmer of hope that Waterford will get some more better things, like a Virgin Megastore (heres to hoping).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I was in there last night to see Zodiac (which I would highly recommend unless you are the impatient type because it's long) and I was asked whether I was a student or not, so I take this to mean that there is now a student rate. Well for some. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Seconded.

Maybe this is a small glimmer of hope that Waterford will get some more better things, like a Virgin Megastore (heres to hoping).

was there last night for the first time First impressions were good.

Likes.
    =====
    One queue for Tickets and food (if you can call popcorn and coke food)
    Stadium Seating
    Car parking nearby and on the flat

Dislikes - potentia problems
    ====================

If they are not carefull it will get grubby really really quickly, already chewing gum mashed into the carpet on the stairs. Some scratches on the paint work, bearing in mind it is only opened a wet day (yes it's been raining a lot :D )

According to the other half,Female Toilets had garfitti on the backs of the doors.

just some observations.....

Ohh... the film was good (Oceans 13... well worth a visit)

• Advertisement

Ya they have a student rate, was in last night to see Shrek (bloody brilliant!)..

Oh and the stairs since day 1 has been grubby looking.

Advertisement