Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Cinema - Opens Today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

merlante wrote:
    I was in there last night to see Zodiac (which I would highly recommend unless you are the impatient type because it's long) and I was asked whether I was a student or not, so I take this to mean that there is now a student rate. Well for some. :)

Forgot to mention that they forgot to turn off the lights for the first 10+ minutes. I think someone went out to tell them. It was screen 6, which is fine. The other thing was that when the lights went off, the place did not go completely dark for some reason, and I could still notice exit signs, and other non-film features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

merlante wrote:
    Forgot to mention that they forgot to turn off the lights for the first 10+ minutes. I think someone went out to tell them. It was screen 6, which is fine. The other thing was that when the lights went off, the place did not go completely dark for some reason, and I could still notice exit signs, and other non-film features.

erm would U not think leaving the lights for exit signs on to be a good thing??
    I would get very worried if they turned them off :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bards wrote:
    According to the other half,Female Toilets had garfitti on the backs of the doors.

Scumbags just never let up do they, unfortunately its hard to remove permanent marker from paintwork or the material used on those doors,

anyone else find it scary that people walk around with markers in their pockets just so they can write on stuff like doors in toilets?

Cabaal wrote:
    anyone else find it scary that people walk around with markers in their pockets just so they can write on stuff like doors in toilets?

funny now that you mention it, I wonder if they are in a rush for something (like the cinema) and they are running out the house and suddenly they remember the marker and run back in and when someone asks 'Did you forget something?' and yer man replies 'eh yeah I forgot my marker, I reckon I might scribble some wise words on the toilet walls today'. :D

erm would U not think leaving the lights for exit signs on to be a good thing??
    I would get very worried if they turned them off :o

Erm, I wasn't suggesting that they would, just that the cinema was not as dark as you would expect even after turning off the lights!

• Advertisement

merlante wrote:
    Erm, I wasn't suggesting that they would, just that the cinema was not as dark as you would expect even after turning off the lights!

yes but you said you could still notice exit signs and I was just saying that of course you could because those lights are always on. about the other lights or objects you could see perhaps they need to dim them a bit more thats all.

yes but you said you could still notice exit signs and I was just saying that of course you could because those lights are always on. about the other lights or objects you could see perhaps they need to dim them a bit more thats all.

Just because the exit lights are always on does not mean that you should notice them when you are watching the film. Of course you should be able to find them quickly should you need them, but during the film, I'd prefer the cinema to be otherwise dark so I don't notice random features on the walls, exit signs, etc.

Basically, the cinema was too bright, that's all I'm saying!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

merlante wrote:
    Just because the exit lights are always on does not mean that you should notice them when you are watching the film. Of course you should be able to find them quickly should you need them, but during the film, I'd prefer the cinema to be otherwise dark so I don't notice random features on the walls, exit signs, etc.

Basically, the cinema was too bright, that's all I'm saying!

There are emergency lighting, a requirement by law, which they must obide by. Its a pain, but they don't have a choice. The lights on the stairs and the lights above the emergency door:- All required by law.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote:
    There are emergency lighting, a requirement by law, which they must obide by. Its a pain, but they don't have a choice. The lights on the stairs and the lights above the emergency door:- All required by law.

Its better they have them then not :)

fair enough about the exit lights etc. I have personally found those lights to be annoying myself sometimes (in other cinemas). I must give the new cinema a visit next time I am down.

• Advertisement

Well as previously mentioned I sent an e-mail off to Storm Cinema's regarding their insecure on-line booking and how bloody stupid it was, well just checked it today and its all secure :)

Atleast their listening to customers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Cabaal wrote:
    Well as previously mentioned I sent an e-mail off to Storm Cinema's regarding their insecure on-line booking and how bloody stupid it was, well just checked it today and its all secure :)

Atleast their listening to customers,

Theyve been summarised ;)

Shin

shinzon wrote:
    Theyve been summarised ;)
    Shin

ssshhhhhhhh you, :D

Sully wrote:

Okay, let me put it as simple as I can. I have been in many, many cinemas, in Ireland and around the world, but uniquely in screen 6 of the Storm cinema, Waterford, for reasons which I have not fully identified, it is brighter than the average. Bright enough so as to be noticeable by me and for it to affect my viewing pleasure.

Now that being the case, that is a fault with Storm, not me or the faceless goons in health and safety.

It is a minor criticism, but it is a criticism nonetheless. It could be the dimensions of the cinema, or the precise location of the exit signs, I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I think you need to specify it a bit further. They're needed for H&S you know :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Went to see Die Hard 4.0 last night at 9.30-ish show. it ws my second time there so i was going to sit back and enjoy the show in the comforts of a nice cinema where i wasn't going to be sticking to the floor or the seats smelling of stale sweat etc. of the old cinema about 30 to 45 mins into the film the sound goes down and stayed down for a following 5 mins. At this point people were getting up to leave so we decided to wait and see if some one would come and apoligise for the inconvience but alas no. the sound did come back for a couple of seconds, so we decided to get up and go the same direction as everyone else and get a refund. when we got outside to the consessons counter we heard a girl in the phone speeking to someone saying that the sound had gone down and they couldn't rewind the film and more and more people were asking for a refund.

The assistant manager came out and told us that there would be No Refunds as this was not company policy, but we could get a complimentary pass if we should so choose. many people along with myself had agrued that it was against the law not to give us a refund if we should so choose. some people took the complimentary pass, some took the name of the manager others just continued to agrue. We felt that one pass was a bit stingy and that if anyone decided to use it earlier in the day they would be losing out on the difference in price. It should be pointed out that no where on the cinema walls does it say that it not company policy to give Refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I was at that show last night and it was a complete f*cking shambles. I would have been perfectly happy if they rewound the movie to where the sound stops, but alas, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

For someone who's new to waterford - where is it?! Don't have a clue of street names btw! So am I right or wrong on this - is it by the new kids playground on the cork road going into the city before Masons? Also, where is the parking? Cheers in advance - want to bring fella to see Die Hard 4.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Visited the new cinema for the 1st time today and two things annoyed me.
    1. My view was obstructed by the head of the guy in front of me, granted it wasn't all the screen but noticable all the same.

2. I went to see Die Hard 4.0 (15A rating) and the children allowed into it was disgraceful. Behind me was a mother and two sons who wouldn't STFU all the way through it even after asking them to be quiet.
    corkimp wrote:
    where is the parking?

Tesco worked for me today :).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I had problems with using my credit card there recently. Website wouldnt let me do a student booking (no option) and when I called to make the booking after two attempts I was told my transaciation failed due to fraud. Called the bank, couldnt believe what I was told and said no way there is such a message. Plus, no transaction was ever made. In additon, I was informed of a few transactions earlier that day from Storm Cinema, which scared me.

All sorted in the end, met up with the manager. Nice enough bloke, but he kept blaming the bank - who insisted that message was of there own making and not theirs. Eventually however, he came back and told me it was all sorted. They use some sort of credit card system which does a "bounce" of info back and forth to the bank - but only allows three transactions from a card a day.

The problem? Strangely, they left it to late to charge my card - and did all my purchases on the one day (which happened to be the day I went in to use it again!) so when I went to use the card I wasnt permitted. They still say the bank gives them that "Card Fraud" message - even though the bank said they are "100% possitive it is not from us". I got three free passes for the hassle tho.

• Advertisement

Went to see Die Hard 4.0 this evening, grand exscept for the ****en muppets talking through the whole bloody thing,

Why do these ****wits pay 9e to talk for 2 hours, they obviously don't give a **** about the film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭flonge

Went to see Harry Potter today,I arrived at the cinema at around 5.30 for the 6pm showing only to find that there was a power cut..as a result the film was an hour late..The staff were extremely informative,they let the customers waiting
    what was been done to fix the problem!

The film itself was class,the only thing i would have liked them to show was the scene in St. Mungo's Hospital!The film itself was well worth the wait!!

I can't wait for the book to come out..Any ideas as to who is to die?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I was there today for HP aswell, fairly crazy situation. Got there about 5pm, barely anyone around, when one of the staff told me of the power cut throughout the whole cinema, every screen not working. Returned at bout 5.50 and there were tons of people in the main lobby waiting to see if it'll return, and it did come back round 6.10. Cue screaming children with parents running up the stairs to the tills. I hadn't pre booked so I couldnt get in, they were fully booked the rest of the night.

So i headed over to the old cinema and get this, even their 8pm HP showing was fully booked out! They had another at 9 though so I got tickets for that. Even then the 9pm showing was pretty packed. Never thought I'd see that again in the old cinema!

Aye, power cut damaged some fuses or something so the manager said to me. They have to pay for damages.

Went in for the 9.30 film, to see signs up of a 45min delay. Staff informed me it wouldnt start until 10.15 - so we sat around down stairs. Didnt care to much, I prefer later films anyway! However, only for some of the lads checked what was happening upstairs - did we relise it was not delayed and was going ahead as planned. Still confused, I spoke to the manager again who explained that its going as planned.

However, other staff were still saying 10.15! The film had started as planned, and a lady came and asked if it was delayed to 10.15 - and she said yes! But it had started!

I can imagine it was very tough on the staff - fecking ESB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

flonge wrote:
    I can't wait for the book to come out..Any ideas as to who is to die?

Wrong thread for this no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Too right ; This is the wrong thread.
    You need to go to the "Shut up and don't ruin it for everyone else" thread.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭flonge

Sorry!wasnt my intention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Cabaal wrote:
    Went to see Die Hard 4.0 this evening, grand exscept for the ****en muppets talking through the whole bloody thing,

Why do these ****wits pay 9e to talk for 2 hours, they obviously don't give a **** about the film

Why didn't you challenge them? I always do....and they usually shut up. It's too expensive to let these gormless dimwits ruin it. Went to see Deja Vu in the old cinema - same story. Two ladies on their own asked these skater types if they wouldn't mind shutting the f**k up. Ignored of course. I had a polite word with them and that was the end of it.:)

Jor wrote:
    Too right ; This is the wrong thread.
    You need to go to the "Shut up and don't ruin it for everyone else" thread.:mad:

Take it easy, its not that big of a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

went to sarry pothead last night was good i must say! we were waiting to get served at the counter and the girl in front of us asked for a popcorn for it literally to be thrown all over her by the lad behind the counter accident of course he let out a little snigger and an apology the girl was so mortified cos the place was packed that she ran off without her change the fella shouted after her that she forgot her change she just shouted back to keep it

Advertisement