Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Cinema - Opens Today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I was in there a week or two ago to see Zodiac (16s I think), and there was a party of five girls trying to buy tickets at the sweets counter.

Now, these girls were about 13 or 14, obviously underage. So the guy behind the counter asks them "So, what age are you?" Girl starts with, oh, i'm 17, friend 16, other friend 17 etc.

Counter guy calls over that old guy that works behind the counter to see what he thinks. The old guy asks the girl "So, what year were you born in?"

1994 she says.

Idiot.

(I roffled)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

haha the air head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Went to see Die Hard the other night, great experience again !

But whoever here complained about the emergency light, your on my list of people I now dislike, never noticed it before, can't stop looking at it now, lol ... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

We went for the first time to see Harry Potter the other evening, and have mixed feelings:

o No signs pointing out how to get there
    o When you DO get there, some head scratching before you realise that the ice cream place downstairs is not actually the cinema (would a sign pointing upstairs
    o Combining the ticket selling and popcorn selling might make financial sense for the owners, but for anybody that just wants to go see the film and not gorge themselves on overpriced junk food, it's a pain in the a**e
    o Tickets are a bit pricey, but this is Ireland I suppose
    o Cinemas themselves are very comfy, and sound is great, BUT the bloody projector was not focused. and remained so thoughout the film. Not as bad as Patrick St (what is) but still. Is there nobody in Waterford capable of getting a projector to project a sharp image onscreen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

JMcL wrote:
    Is there nobody in Waterford capable of getting a projector to project a sharp image onscreen?

They did 2 nights ago for Transformers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I see the old cinema is still open, frankly I'm shocked that anybody in their right mind is still going to it....I saw a family going in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm pretty certain that they aren't delivering Dolby 5.1 sound which is a great shame because the poor sound quality is one of the reasons why I don't go to the Patrick St cinema anymore. The sound often cuts in and out similar to what it does in the Cineplex which is poor to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'm pretty certain that they aren't delivering Dolby 5.1 sound

Weird given all Storm cinemas do Dolby Digital...hardware problem perhaps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm pretty certain that they aren't delivering Dolby 5.1 sound which is a great shame because the poor sound quality is one of the reasons why I don't go to the Patrick St cinema anymore. The sound often cuts in and out similar to what it does in the Cineplex which is poor to say the least.

It ALWAYS does that for me! I just assumed it was normal. Doesn't seem "surround" to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

JMcL wrote:
    o No signs pointing out how to get there

Meh, I understand your frustration but I don't think the old cinema does either.
    o When you DO get there, some head scratching before you realise that the ice cream place downstairs is not actually the cinema (would a sign pointing upstairs

I agree. Sometimes its there, sometimes not.
    o Combining the ticket selling and popcorn selling might make financial sense for the owners, but for anybody that just wants to go see the film and not gorge themselves on overpriced junk food, it's a pain in the a**e

Well a lot of newer cinemas do this not only for financial reasons but also for make life easier. Always hated having to queue for both.
    o Tickets are a bit pricey, but this is Ireland I suppose

1euro (or 50c) more expensive? Student Fair is cheaper, and all week.
    o Cinemas themselves are very comfy, and sound is great, BUT the bloody projector was not focused. and remained so thoughout the film. Not as bad as Patrick St (what is) but still. Is there nobody in Waterford capable of getting a projector to project a sharp image onscreen?

Have not had that problem myself but a chap said it here before: Go report it to the staff and they will have it fixed.

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote:
    Weird given all Storm cinemas do Dolby Digital...hardware problem perhaps.
    Probably, but the place just opened and it's happened in every film I've seen but was most noticeable during Transformers which has such great sound effects :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

have they posted the cinema times up anywhere yet it's a pain having to track down a computer to find out what film is on when...

They're in all the local papers and they have notices outside the cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

They advertise in Waterfotd Today each week.

They're in all the local papers and they have notices outside the cinema

That requires me to get out of my car and walk up to the door. I don't always get the local papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

trishw78 wrote:
    That requires me to get out of my car and walk up to the door. I don't always get the local papers

Well id diagnose that as pure laziness

Sorry couldnt resist

:D

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

trishw78 wrote:

So, apart from the Internet, Local Papers, Outside their door, What other places would be convenient to you?

lol... yeah could be just that damned lazy. But i was think like the old cinema has that neon sign thing out side and so do most other cinemas in the country I was just surprised the new didn't have it that's all.

Personaly think there tacky. And I doubt our friend Brendan would let them.

Have you a phone? Call their number, it plays the times automatically.

Never thought of ringing them I have checked the times via Vodafone live though

• Advertisement

entertainment.ie on 3G has all the cinema listings too, so you just need to whip out your phone whenever you need the listings... or call them 051-309110

i,d be very cautious about parking in tesco if i were you because a work colleague of mine parked there last sat night to go see transformers and his car was broke into and his stereo was knicked

i,d be very cautious about parking in tesco if i were you because a work colleague of mine parked there last sat night to go see transformers and his car was broke into and his stereo was knicked

Take that risk anywhere you park in fairness. :\

Sully wrote:
    Take that risk anywhere you park in fairness. :\
    well not really sully as the tesco car park as no lighting on in it! so the little thiefs can lurk in the shadows and not be seen, it a great form of camoflauge and something obviously that the little fecks are good at, maybe they shud be made do a stint in the army and see how they get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Bards wrote:
    What other places would be convenient to you?

Personally. A projector. an very high powered one. Aimed towards the sky. That way, all we have to do is look up, and find the bright light.

The Dark Mark?! :O

The Simpsons was excellent :D

Fajitas! wrote:
    Personally. A projector. an very high powered one. Aimed towards the sky. That way, all we have to do is look up, and find the bright light.
    Great... that means it would work from about 10pm - 6am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Went to see transformers there last night. About 1 hour in, the film cut out. From the static image on screen, it looked as if the film had burned slightly and stalled in the projector. People streamed out to investigate/complain.

It took them over 10 minutes to send someone in to explain, all we got was a '5 minutes please' and a muttered apology.

5 minutes later we were told the movie would not be shown, they offered double comp, but most of us were pretty pissed at this stage. If anyone else has been looking forward to it as much....

That one aside, it wasnt any better the other times I went, bad sound and poor ventilation.

They were supposed to have a showing of it today but it got cancelled. Apparently.

I dont think they can be blamed for bad film, if what people say is true - we get left overs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Great... that means it would work from about 10pm - 6am!

Hmmm... I possibly should have put '/sarc' at the end of that...

But then again, in winter, you'd have the times from 6pm to 10am

Advertisement