Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on Passage West plz

Options
  • 08-06-2007 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

hi thinking of renting there, any info, heard bad things, any stories,dodgy ares,good pubs,places pr people to avoid! cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

hi thinking of renting there, any info, heard bad things, any stories,dodgy ares,good pubs,places pr people to avoid! cheers!

Hi,
    I live in Passage West (but not from there). We bought there a few years ago and to be honest I am happy with it.

It all depends on what U want from a place where U live.
    Listen, Passage like all places have a scummy element but there are lots of nice hard working people there also. There are of course some dodgy areas (again like every town in Ireland) but U will see that straight away if U visit an area first before handing over yer rent money.

The village itself is just OK, quite small but does have the basics (Pubs, Shops, Pharmacy etc).
    Pubs, seeing as I have a little toddler I do not really go out to pubs much but even before the child came along I did not frequent the pubs in Passage...to be honest a lot of them look a bit clannish but sure you could say that about a lot of pubs in any village in Ireland!

There is one nice pub called Hourihans (excuse my spelling if incorrect). It is near the garda station on the far side of the village. It is nice for a pint and they do nice food also.

Anyway Douglas is very close to cycle or 5 minutes in bus/car. You also have Mahon Point nearby which is handy.

If U are renting it is probably in either Pembroke Woods or Harbour Heights, both are a 5 minute walk into the village.

Word of warning, if you are commuting along the Rochestown Road in the mornings between 7:45am and 9am the traffic is chronic, expect a mile tail back during the school months (don't be fooled by the quiet traffic during the summer!).

If you like walks there is a lovely walkway from Passage to Monkstown on one side and Passage to Blackrock on the other side which is a great thing to have to be honest. It also means you could even walk or cycle into the city via the walkway quite easily (OK, the walk would be long but healthy :D )

If U have any other questions just holler or pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭idlesupernova

Hear excat reports from others, seems fine cheers:) :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cork_ie

It is a great place now and improving rapidly. I will assure you that anti-social behaviour is a lot less than you will find in Douglas or Carrigaline. In fact it is very quiet. Traffic a bit mad in the mornings.

cork_ie wrote:
    It is a great place now and improving rapidly. I will assure you that anti-social behaviour is a lot less than you will find in Douglas or Carrigaline. In fact it is very quiet. Traffic a bit mad in the mornings.

I agree, apart from the main road and the road thru Pembroke Wood turning into Silverstone or Mondello Park in the wee hours of the morning :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Don't live there (i'm up the road in Rochestown) but i went to school there and stuff... I think that Passage has one major fault, that being that there is S.F.A. for young people to do down there, which is why there's always big gangs of kids hanging about acting the maggot...

It definitely has its dodgy spots, maybe more than your average spot... However, the likes of Pembrook woods, the town itself seem grand... Oh and i'll second (or third) the traffic situation, it can be ridiculous in mornings... Also, if you're dependent on public transport the bus route isn't great, not enough buses at all...

What i will say is that it's a grand town, close to town, but not too close so it's fairly quiet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Passage West
    Areas to avoid: Passage West

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭idlesupernova

Have heard a rampant coke/smack problem has hit in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I don't think Passage West is any worse than other commuter areas. Name 1 area in Cork where you won't find kids with "nothing to do", or "hanging out" in gangs, they're everywhere - no matter where you look.

I think Passage West is improving vastly and if that new docks development goes ahead the place will be totally booming. And if you don't like the local pubs, stroll up the road to Monkstown - the Ensign, Bosun, Monkstown Inn. Lovely walkways along the river front, you're close enough to Douglas for shopping.

And there is community spirit in Passage West. The last few years have seen the likes of Pembroke Woods developing, therefore a lot more people - but having been canvassing there a few weeks ago, I met some lovely people. I say go for it!!! And enjoy riverside living! Good Luck!

Have heard a rampant coke/smack problem has hit in 6 months.

You heard absolutely wrong and I will assure you of that.

Illkillya wrote:
    Passage West
    Areas to avoid: Passage West

I don't know why you say that - I have never heard of any reason why anyone should avoid Passage. It is a million miles better than the vast majority of Cork suburban towns. I don't live there but spend a lot of time around the area and must say it is a brilliant place and very quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i heard they are so rich down in passage they burn money.

:D can't argue with that I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Nice, forgot about that....

That is one other thing about Passage, it does have a reputation of been a bit (a lot) of a republican town, there're people and places where you might have to be careful what you say about certain organisations in this country... (even if they are disbanded)

dulpit wrote:

That is one other thing about Passage, it does have a reputation of been a bit (a lot) of a republican town, there're people and places where you might have to be careful what you say about certain organisations in this country... (even if they are disbanded)

true but sure I'd say U could apply that to a lot of towns and villages throughout this little island of ours. sure the same applies to GAA :D

dulpit wrote:

Well the ballot box tells all. Assuming that all or most "republican " votes would go to a SF candidate in the local elections then Passage is below the national vote for that party.

cork_ie wrote:
    Well the ballot box tells all. Assuming that all or most "republican " votes would go to a SF candidate in the local elections then Passage is below the national vote for that party.

great, so we can put that myth to rest.

Advertisement