Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT on Commercial Business VAN

Options
  • 08-06-2007 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

I have let's say €15000 in my personal bank account and would like to purchase a secondhand commercial van for my business. Is it best to transfer it to my business account as a loan and then buy the van?

Or

If I take out a personal loan for €15000, will I first transfer the money to the business account as a loan and then second can I set up the direct debit through my business account to pay for the monthly lease?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I would use the business account, get a loan and transfer the loan or your own cash into the account. It is easier to manage that way and easier to explain. With a loan you can also put the interest paid against your tax bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭ThomasH

I would use the business account, get a loan

Get a business loan through the business account or get a personal loan and transfer to business?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ThomasH wrote:
    Get a business loan through the business account or get a personal loan and transfer to business?

Talk to your bank and see what they will give you.
    You could try and get the business loan but I would say it is probably too small at €15K. Also ask the bank about leasing, especially as you are looking at a vehicle.

Leasing usually means a new vehicle so you might also consider asking a van dealer how that would work and see if you can get a better deal that way. I know that Ford have leasing deals and I'd imagine most of the others do as well.

If none of these work out or suit you, then I would suggest a personal loan, transfer it into the business account and make repayments from that business account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

€15k isn't too small for a business loan.

Leasing can apply to new or used cars or vans.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You should always borrow from within the business if possible, so as to benefit from getting a tax allowance on the interest. (The academics call this the 'tax shield'.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement