Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Rise Towers in Ballsbridge

Options
  • 08-06-2007 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭

Apparently the councillors are reconsidering their decision. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Any more info OP?

I heard Sean Dunne wanted to build 32 stories but he may only get a fraction of this.
    He'll lose big if this happens :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Mr Dunne will not lose out. He'll make sure of that...

"Reports this morning says the officials want certain sites rezoned in a move that could lead to towers of between 16 and 20 storeys being built in the area."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Amazing.This bloke has more money than its possible to spend and he's looking to make more?I wonder has he heard the expression 'There's no pockets in a shroud'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

This bloke has more money than its possible to spend and he's looking to make more?

What do you expect him to do? Give up on making money now that he has enough.
    If a business makes loads of money does it suddenly stop because it has enough??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Noopti wrote:
    What do you expect him to do? Give up on making money now that he has enough.
    If a business makes loads of money does it suddenly stop because it has enough??

Dunno what i expect him to do,really.Just saying he's a greedy bastard thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

HRTs in Ballsbridge? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Maybe he's doing it because it needs to be done? This could turn ballsbridge into a major happening place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Degsy wrote:
    Amazing.This bloke has more money than its possible to spend and he's looking to make more?I wonder has he heard the expression 'There's no pockets in a shroud'?

Ignoring of course that if he got permission for this, hundreds of people would be employed in the planning, building, selling, leasing and maintaining those towers. Developers in this country might not be a shining example of ethics in business but there's nothing wrong in wanting to make money - it does, after all, make the world go round.

I still don't see what the fuss about high-rise in Ballsbridge is. Of all the suburbs of Dublin, it's one of the few that could actually handle it. It's got plenty of public amenities, it's reasonably close to the city centre and more importantly, it's got a decent public transport system. This is snobbery and nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

markpb wrote:

I still don't see what the fuss about high-rise in Ballsbridge is. Of all the suburbs of Dublin, it's one of the few that could actually handle it. It's got plenty of public amenities, it's reasonably close to the city centre and more importantly, it's got a decent public transport system. This is snobbery and nothing less.

Inverse snobbery, I think you mean. As in it's Dublin 4 it deserves to have its nose tweaked.

The fact that it has a DART line does not, in and of itself, mean that it has decent public transport. It's not bad if you live somewhere along the Dart, but have you ever tried connecting to the DART from another form of public transport? Like a bus or a LUAS? Not easy. Many DART stations don't have any bus stops near them, and the time taken to connect from DART to LUAS at Connolly is ridiculous.

Sorting out the public transport system is a different issue to this one.

Another important point is that you will have a hideous load of high-rise monstrosities in an area of outstanding architectural importance. And believe it or not, having such a nice picturesque area is of benefit to everyone who wants to walk the streets, not just the people who live in such houses.

On a related note, I'm delighted to see that the odious Mr O'Gara of Dartmouth Square infamy is being threatened with jail if he doesn't comply with a court order to move his caravans out of the square.

A good day for south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

The fact that it has a DART line does not, in and of itself, mean that it has decent public transport. It's not bad if you live somewhere along the Dart, but have you ever tried connecting to the DART from another form of public transport? Like a bus or a LUAS? Not easy. Many DART stations don't have any bus stops near them, and the time taken to connect from DART to LUAS at Connolly is ridiculous.

Sorting out the public transport system is a different issue to this one.

The DART is far from perfect but right now it's the only efficient mass-transit system Dublin has. Unlike the Luas, it also has the ability to grow - Dash 2, the Interconnector and extra carriages should make a huge difference to the system capacity and coverage. Yes there are problems with integration but it's better than the rest of Dublin and, with the Interconnector, some of those will go away.
    Another important point is that you will have a hideous load of high-rise monstrosities in an area of outstanding architectural importance. And believe it or not, having such a nice picturesque area is of benefit to everyone who wants to walk the streets, not just the people who live in such houses.

Having lived in Ballsbridge for years, I won't argue it's a lovely place and definitely one of the nicest in Dublin but I'd question whether it's an area of "outstanding architectural importance", especially not the parts of Ballsbridge we're talking about. You also seem to be prejudiced against high-rise for some reason - you do realise it's possible to build high without recreating Ballymun or Birmingham?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

In Irish terms, the fact that it is on the DART does in fact mean that Ballsbridge has decent public transport. Public transport is closely related to the ability of an area to absorb high-rise development. There is room for improvement though, no doubt.

Just because they are high doesn't make them monstrosities. Bits of Ballsbridge are picturesque for sure, but it's already got a four lane road running through it, with some pretty ugly buildings along the way. It's nice, but 'outstanding architectural importance'? Individual buildings maybe, but not the whole thing.

The picturesque parts will still be picturesque when the development is done.

I don't see what makes this inverse snobbery.

Advertisement