Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training - Starting off!

Options
  • 08-06-2007 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Ok, got the bike, got the gear now rearing to go!!

Not having cycled before but being 'reasonably' fit :eek: I was hoping someone could give me some advice on how far I should be cycling (and what average speed) starting off. How should i build this up i.e. how often should i be heading out a week? In the short term i dont intend doing long trips (e.g >30k) but i would like to think i will in the longer term (i.e. within 12-24 months) i would be heading out at least once a week for a longer spin

Theres a lot of talk about 'cadence' which i assume from reading some of the posts refers to the number of revolutions on the pedals per minute - what should i be looking at here - again starting off then what i should be aiming for?

Thanks again for all your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

30k really isn't a lot on a bike, particularly if it doesn't include significant climbs. A reasonably fit beginning cyclist should be able to do 60k relatively flat runs easy.

Forget about speed. If fitness is the aim then after becoming comfortable on the bike just go as fast as you can and head into the mountains. If the aim is to enjoy the scenery etc. then just get out there.

Getting out once a week should be sufficient to allow you to build up your range and/or fitness. Add ~10% per week to your runs if you want to extend your range. You can go out more if you have the time.

Pedalling at too low a cadence is an often made mistake amongst those starting out, you should really try to avoid it as it will tire you out noticably quicker than needed and it leads to the development of short bulky muscles that aren't good for longer rides. Typically you should keep cadence between 70-90 rpm, so 80 is a good figure to aim for. Some (typically very experienced cyclists) prefer to aim higher than 90 which is fine if it feels comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Elfentoe

Thanks Membrane - my mistake i was thinkin miles but typin kilometres!!!

I intend to start off around 30miles (i.e approx. 50k) starting off then building up to around 60-80miles within a year... a lot of the local terrain is small climbs here and there but nothing significant - I hope to eventually join a local touring club which would do up to and beyond 80mile runs at weekends - just need to make sure i am up to a decent level to avoid makin a complete fool of myself!!!

The cadence thing must take some practice! I think you can get a tripometer which gives your cadence as well as the usual speed/distance...?

thanks again for the info - very helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Elfentoe wrote:
    The cadence thing must take some practice! I think you can get a tripometer which gives your cadence as well as the usual speed/distance...?

A cadence meter on the bike isn't really needed, but it can be very useful when starting out to "calibrate" your senses. Having said that I've used one for a while and I still find it useful.

Computers that also show cadence can be considerably more expensive than the ones that only do speed, distance etc.

I use a second 7 Euro plain speed computer from Aldi on my bike that I converted to a cadence meter. The guide on how to do that was posted here in this forum by another poster (a search for "cadence" should point you to it).

Advertisement