Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Property Market

Options
  • 08-06-2007 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I purchased a property in Northern Ireland about four years ago and have been lucky enough to have seen a 50% capital gain on my original investment. The property is currently unoccupied and I am considering selling half of it to a family member to clear my mortgage and share the maintenance costs etc.

I understand predictions are for an 18% rise in property there this year...does anyone have any feelings as to whether it's better to hold on to the full property or not....? is this the beginning of a bubble or are things levelling off? ..I've no experience in this area appart from this investment & have suffered long periods of unoccupancy with the property so I know what's involved if I choose to hang on...I just wonder would it be foolish to handover half the property now rather than wait a few years....I'd appreciate any opinions...

Tr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm living in the North since October 2006. The value of our house has increased by 70% in that time. Sweet. I was talking to our estate agent last week and they are confident that the value should go up by another 5% this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Nephilim

I bought the house in 2002 and the standard increase was 5% per year until last year which was 44%.

I suppose I think 5% is just inflation......that doesn't sound like the recent explosion will continue.

Tr

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

That would be another 5% in six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 bofo

I'm also living in the north and there's been muted talk of a slump in the market due to a drop in demand for houses. One estate agent I was talking to seriously adivsed me to considering selling ASAP before it kicked in... Areas of Belfast have recently seen the asking prices of houses being reduced by £10,000 - £20,000 due to such a lack of demand.
    I'm from south Armagh where the price of my current price has trebbled within 5 years...
    This isn't a wide-spread trend but just to keep you informed about the varying levels of property prices in the north...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

estate agents are salespeople,there interests are not aligned with yours.
    any predictions they offer should be treated with scepticism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement