Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to check if chorus/NTL broadband is available

Options
  • 08-06-2007 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

I had Chorus Digital TV installed recently. They told me that they do not offer broadband in the area. The other day I called them and asked them to fix my address on the statement, but now they have told me that they dont offer TV services in my area? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

They told me that NTL cover my area. I told them that I have a Chorus digital TV box and was watching it at that time, but they just transferred me to NTL.

I was stuck on hold for about 20 minutes and then just gave up and hung up.

Is it possible that BroadBand could be available, and it is just that their system says its not?

If so, does anyone know how I could check to see if broadband is available?
    Thanks,
    Randomer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

That is remarkable, despite you watching it, they tell you they don't offer it. They are actually getting worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I don't think they are allowed to use their initiative. I think they must go by what the computer says. If the computer says they don't provide service in that area, then they don't. Even if the customer is watching it!!!

That is why I think I may be able to get broadband in the area. If I get a cable modem, it should tell me if there is a signal, and give me an access denied message if I don't have a valid password. Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

I think NTL might have to give it a mac address, I don't think just plugging in the modem will tell you much.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

randomer wrote:
    I had Chorus Digital TV installed recently. They told me that they do not offer broadband in the area. The other day I called them and asked them to fix my address on the statement, but now they have told me that they dont offer TV services in my area? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

They told me that NTL cover my area. I told them that I have a Chorus digital TV box and was watching it at that time, but they just transferred me to NTL.

I was stuck on hold for about 20 minutes and then just gave up and hung up.

Is it possible that BroadBand could be available, and it is just that their system says its not?

If so, does anyone know how I could check to see if broadband is available?
    Thanks,
    Randomer

This is incredible even by NTL/Chorus/UPC standards. So Chorus don't know that they have merged with NTL.

Even before the merger there was the occasional report on here of people being told that bb was not available in their area and of course it was - then there was the famous letter to the people in the Bolton St area which told them bb was available and when they applied they were told that actually it wasn't and that just because they had been told it was available that did not mean it was actually available.

Anyways I was chatting with an NTL technician the other day just a few doors down from where I live and he told me that BB was available in my area even though we have never been told. I do average a letter a week from them offering their digital service:rolleyes:

Advertisement