Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS Question

Options
  • 08-06-2007 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an IE domain name that has the DNS managed by an Irish company. The mail is handled on site probably using exchange.

The website is currently hosted in England which I am changing to Irish hosting (different company to that which handles to DNS for the domain).

So basically I want to make a change to the DNS so that the email stays pointing to the inhouse mail server and the website points to the new hosted server in Ireland.

What change do I need made to the DNS so that only the website is affected and points to the new Irish servers? and what exactly do I need to request be changed?

I always understood that I would just request the A record be changed to use the nameserver addresses of my new irish (shared) hosting and that the MX records would remain untouched. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

You need to just Point the A record for your domain to the new IP address of where its hosted.

Whoever is hosting the web site should be able to give you the IP address that its on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

ok thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You should also let the new hosting provider know that the mail will not be hosted with them, so that they don't set it up and that you won't be using their dns either.

blacknight wrote:
    You should also let the new hosting provider know that the mail will not be hosted with them, so that they don't set it up and that you won't be using their dns either.
    I didn't think it would effect them in any way. I didn't give a domain name when I signed up for the hosting.

Its shared hosting. I turned off the Mail Service in the control panel and used the dedicated IP address for the A record of the domain. Are they all the right things to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Possibly / probably :)

I'm just giving you a heads up on the possible issues

• Advertisement

blacknight wrote:
    Possibly / probably :)

I'm just giving you a heads up on the possible issues
    Thanks.

Advertisement