Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Restaurant In Dublin

• 08-06-2007 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Me and bf love going to eat but we have our favourite places to go and we tend to stick to them. We're looking to go somewhere a bit different and unusual tomorrow (in Dublin btw). I was looking at Bella Cuba in Ballsbridge or Tante Zoes in Temple Bar. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: We don't want really cheap but we can't afford very fancy either!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Was in Tante Zoe's a couple of times and I did enjoy the food. Particuarly the Dooky Gumbo starter.

I would suggest here though http://www.yamamorinoodles.ie/ as something a bit different that I like.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

zoes is nice, yamamouri is great, yaki udon is yum.
    it's pretty cheap and lively athmosphere. I love montys of kathmandu
    in temple bar too..

i wouldn't call any of them 'unusual' though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

Yeah, Tante Zoe's is lovely. Load up on the planters punch! The cajun popcorn or dooky gumbo starter is lovely... it's all good actually!

If you've never had the Elephant & Castle chicken wings it'd be worth checking them out. They really are different and unusual. it's hard to explain -more of a sensation than a taste!

I just found discovered this website last week and it's very good: www.menupages.ie (I've nothing to do with them btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

l'gueleton off camden street is gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭wba88

just about to suggest menupages as well they are very handy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Thanks everybody, I'll check them out.

As for elephant and castle chicken wings, we eat there quite regularly. I have renamed them orgasm wings! (they're that good!)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

cedar tree - lebanese south william street (dark and a romantic - i lvoe this place)

langkawi malaysian - baggot street (cheap and cheerful but really good)

sinners - lebanese - parliment street (they have belly dancers and a mad owner who is just short of selling you a carpet)

Hosen - vietnamese - central bank, temple bar (bright airy and really good )

l'gueleton off camden street is gorgeous

it's good alright, although it's a fair way from camden street on georges street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

copacetic wrote:
    it's good alright, although it's a fair way from camden street on georges street.

yup, sorry, way off, just behind logan's off george street- it's all one road anyways:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

There's a lot of average restaraunts being mentioned here.

Head out to Ballsbridge and go to Roly's Bistro for some very good value (its not that much more expensive than say... Elephant and Castle), well prepared food.

I quite like La Mére Zou on Stephen's Green also, though I prefer Roly's.

Neither of those restaurant are that expensive, certainly when compared to Shanahans or Guilbauds etc.

I have heard good things about Fire on Dawson St, but I've yet to try there.

Talbot 101 is worth a shot too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Went to Tante Zoes and it was really nice! I'd heard it had gone downhill in the last few months but it was lovely. Nice food, generous portions and it had anice atmosphere. Plus we both ordered things we wouldn't really get anywhere else.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

Head out to Ballsbridge and go to Roly's Bistro for some very good value (its not that much more expensive than say... Elephant and Castle), well prepared food.

I quite like La Mére Zou on Stephen's Green also, though I prefer Roly's.

Neither of those restaurant are that expensive, certainly when compared to Shanahans or Guilbauds etc.

I have heard good things about Fire on Dawson St, but I've yet to try there.

Talbot 101 is worth a shot too.

hmm, the others may be average but at least are slightly unusual. your ones are all nice places but not at all unusual and in fact have very similar and boring menus imo..

copacetic wrote:
    hmm, the others may be average but at least are slightly unusual. your ones are all nice places but not at all unusual and in fact have very similar and boring menus imo..
    In that case, why not go eat a bucket of wallpaper paste - that would certainly be unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Most restaurants mentioned here are nice, but are not "unusual". In fact, thinking about it leads me to realise that there are few truly stand out restaurants.

However, sushi is still fairly novel, so perhaps you might like to try Yamamori or Aya. There is also a place with a teppan grill on Baggot Street.

Head on up to the Chinese restaurants on Parnell Street, at the top of O'Connel street. The Korean restaurant there is lovely, and it has Korean sushi! Most of the places there are really tasty and offer items that aren't on the menus of the average Irish-Chinese restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mongolion Barbeque!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

The Mongolian Barbecue deserves a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

wow, jinx.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I like El Bahia, the Morroccan place behind Brown Thomas. They do a gorgeous rabbit dish which goes so well with cous cous and they're Morroccan coffee to finish makes a meal.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    In that case, why not go eat a bucket of wallpaper paste - that would certainly be unusual.

well the OP asked for somewhere a bit 'different and unusual'. you recommended an old fashioned 'stuffy' restaurant and some similar places which was hardly what was asked for. not sure why pointing that out merits you throwing the toys out of the pram, but there u go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Wagamama on Sth. King St.!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

Head out to Ballsbridge and go to Roly's Bistro for some very good value

The food in Roly's is very average. They simply don't make an effort like they used to, say, ten years ago. It's living off its trendy name. Also the staff range from relatively indifferent to your experience to being absolutely pig ignorant.

Anyone who would recommend Roly's over other newer and cheaper places in the city simply doesn't know their food. :o

Laslo wrote:
    The food in Roly's is very average. They simply don't make an effort like they used to, say, ten years ago. It's living off its trendy name. Also the staff range from relatively indifferent to your experience to being absolutely pig ignorant.

Anyone who would recommend Roly's over other newer and cheaper places in the city simply doesn't know their food. :o
    nonsense.

Any time i've been to Rolys, I've come away thoroughly impressed with the food.

If you think it is of poorer quality than the variety of ethnic crap that was mentioned before I posted, then I think you need your taste-buds seen to.

Unless Roly's has taken a serious nose dive since I've last been there.. (in the last year).

*edit* also as a follow-up to my previous post regarding Fire on Dawson st. I was there last week. It was mediocre and over-priced. Starters were ok, tasty, but nothing too original (spinach gratin and goat's cheese bruschetta type thing). Main courses - 6oz fillet steak and veal were both disspointing. The steak was medium, but still managed to taste dry. It had a kind of char smokey taste on the outside, which took away from the flavour of the beef. But the biggest disappointment was the veal. It was covered in a garlic, cheese, ham and breadcrumb crust. I might as well have been eating chicken for all the veal I could taste. Desserts again were ok, but not of the caliber you'd expect for the prices. Amaretti and pear tart, I could probably get one as nice in superquinn, and sticky toffee pudding - was ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,539 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Laslo wrote:
    The food in Roly's is very average. They simply don't make an effort like they used to, say, ten years ago. It's living off its trendy name

Roly's trendy? LOL! It hasn't been trendy for at least 200 years. Nice good quality old fashioned rich food. Great for a Sunday Lunch. I like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

watna wrote:
    I was looking at Bella Cuba in Ballsbridge

Food was very nice, as was service.

Also, wagamama's FTW!!!!

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    nonsense.

Tsk! Actually I do believe that you'll find that it's true. Otherwise you simply don't know your food.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    If you think it is of poorer quality than the variety of ethnic crap that was mentioned before I posted, then I think you need your taste-buds seen to.

Did I say it was poorer than the rest of the rubbish posted up here? No, I didn't. I'd rather kill myself than eat at Mongolian BBQ. But see I know that. My problem with Roly's is that it's not good and it's running off its legacy as a good restaurant.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Unless Roly's has taken a serious nose dive since I've last been there.. (in the last year).

It went down hill in the last two years. I've was there about 18 months ago and within the last 12 months. Not what it used to be by a long shot.

unkel wrote:
    Roly's trendy? LOL! It hasn't been trendy for at least 200 years.

Ridiculous pedantic comment. It's popularity is as an effect of its legacy reputation. If you still like it, continue to enjoy it. I think it's taken a huge nosedive.

Advertisement