Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting a Home Studio

• 08-06-2007 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hey I’ve always been into dance music, but never got a home studio together. I was thinking of giving it a go now and was looking for some info on what I’d need apart from a PC. Any info is much appreciated….

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭martin84

Virtual DJ is prity good (mixing)

Link

And Abelton Live is also very good (producing)

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Try here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=607

Give as many details as possible, your level of experience and even a rough budget. You should get a few good pointers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Hey, I reccommend Ableton Live. Not only is it easy to learn, but its extremely powerfull and used by most EDM pros at this stage.

Its also great for DJ'ing if you decide to get into that side of things.

Everything you need to know about getting into production, and lots of other great advice is here:
    http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

If youre looking to get a midi controller keyboard, consider my radium 61 which is for sale here:
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=25961&cat=16
    It has knobs and faders too, which are kool for mixing, DJing etc.

I wouldnt risk my rep around here by reccommending something I didnt think was a good idea, so take it from me, that radium, combined with Ableton Live would have you rockin out tracks within a few days.
    You would need a midi interface to use the radium though.

If you wanna go official software, I can give you a deal on a brand new unregistered version of Ableton Live Lite 5.
    You can upgrade for the full version for cheap sometimes. Thats what I did, and got Ableton Live 6 for only 200 quid. RRP is 500.

Either way, best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

you need a decent pc, a good soundcard and a good pair of studio monitors.

software: try as many software packages as you can - they all have their pros and cons.

cracked software not only hurts the (generally pretty cool and pretty broke) heads who make it, so if you have to "YARRRRGH" anything that you end up liking and using a lot be a big man and shell out for it.

if you want free audio software, check out a program called "BUZZ" - powerful stuff if you get to know it well.

software wise, you will need:::

an audio editor (soundforge is very good indeed) - for chopping up, processing and cleaning up samples.

a sequencer (something that basically gives you a grid to put your samples into and to automate any synths etc or live inputs that you may wish to put in your tune)

and that's pretty much it. - go have a look around at all the various options because each person has a different preference for what suits their workflow etc.

Advertisement