Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper Two (H) - The Fallout

Options
  • 08-06-2007 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Well, how'd it go for ye?

Poetry was pretty good I thought. Shat meself when I saw Uirchill, but Maigdileana was a good alternative. Easy poems were ... well, easy.

Couldn't believe Cearrbhach Mac Caba was the compulsory scéal. Made a balls of tha answer.

Stair na Gaeilge was grand. Meath na Gaeilge was predictable and I had I had a reasonably knowledge of the Dánta Grá.

Úrsceal was only alright too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Omigod! what the hell was that about?! so close to tears right now. as soon as i saw cearrbhach and nil aon ni my head just started spinning and i got so flustered. lig sinn i gcathu wasnt too bad, cearrbhach a load of bull **** couldnt even remember what the three wishes were, jack was ok, nil aon ni i just took what i did for faoiseamh and put it in there, an triail was a mess, hadnt done either of the hl poems so just had to waffle through magdelena which was an ok question, stair was fine. with that paper, lucky if i get a C3. the examiners are absolute assholes! going to have to work my ass off for the next four exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 GKRandom

Question 2 - Dirbheathaisnéisí

(b) Dirbheathaisnéisí Roghnach

I answered this using 'A Thig Ná Tit Orm', please tell me I'm alright for marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

This was da best paper ever!! unreal! all the questions were understandable..def goin 4 a B in irish id say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Can't believe Cearrbhach came up, was convinced it wouldn't since it appeared twice on last year's paper. My answer was utter drivel.

The Thig Ná Tit Orm question was VILE- answered on the two characters who Maidch Dainín learned most from. Couldn't remember their bleedin' names.

Stair- could only answer on Gaeilge Mar Theanga Ceilteach.

Maigdileana- waffled, and forgot about the undergroud represting Christ's tomb. Balls!

Everything else ok, what was left of it!! Not feeling confident about prospective results... :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

That was easy.

The whole Irish exam this year was easy, the aural was a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

seems the predictablilty went out the window! I was quite happy with it. Did Lig Sin I gCathu which was a nice question. Didnt bother me that Cearrbach was compulsory, knew it quite well. Níl aon ní was the same. Its an easy enough poem. Codarsnach was easy to sh1te on about!
    The An Trial question about the mothers was unusual but very do able. Again a bit of waffle to fill up some space got me through.

Did Magdeleana instead of Urchaill. That was easy enough. The Christian imegary was quite nice. The lines we had to put in our own words were easy enough too.

As for Stair, it was lovely. Did e and f, the decline and rebirth of irish.. Say i got almose full markes that sections

No more Irish... ever.. whoo!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Nice paper. Lig Sinni gCathú was grand, but I never really would have described Máirtín's situation as a "cruachás" before... I knew Cearrbhach fairly well despite not revising it, it wasn't a brilliant answer though.

Thought there would have been a bit more choice in Scothscéalta, but regardless, my two favourites, Neill and Teatrarc na Gaililí, came up. Answered the first question on Teatrarc. Wrote a pretty good answer.

Gnáthleibhéal Poetry was grand.

Despite only reading Úirchill for the first time last night, I did a class answer on it. I love the way that poem is essentially an extended Stair na Gaeilge question :D

Wrote about Meath na Gaeilge and an Ghaeilge mar Theanga Ceilteach for Stair na Gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Good paper probably screwed up my Lig sin i gcathu and cearrbhach answers though. An triail question was so easy! Poems were good and maigdileanna was alrite. Stair na gaelige was simple. irish as a celtic language and meath an gaelige in the 19th century were both fairly simple. Overall, i expect a D-high C in irish depnds how the oral and essay are taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭maggie18x

yeah blondie i feel your pain i actually had tears im eyes coming out.i never even got to do the 20mark question coz i ran outta time and even if i had time i wasnt able to answer it and i needed a b2\b3.such a spa why didnt i do more study........i thought it was really hard :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm pretty happy with it overall. Left "An Triail" til last so I only got 2 pages written, but they were 2 good pages!

In poetry, did "Maigdiléana", "Níl Aon Ní" and "Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa". No problems there.

Wrote about "Lig Sinn i gCathú" and "Cearbhach Mac Cábá" for Ceist 1. Fortunately I wasn't trying to predict questions so all the essays I read over last night served me well!

Was completely unprepared for the Stair question, but I remembered enough about 'Gaeilge mar Theanga Cheilteach' and 'na Dánta Grá' to get three points out of each.

• Advertisement

People ran out of time? i had a good half an hour spare though not the hour i had yesterday. And yes i did all the questions i needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

the bastards putting cearrbah on again...id never read the story and somehow wrote a page on it. would be bothered too much by it tho its only worth 2 1/2%..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MadSambuka

Im so annoyed with that paper! did so much for it! and after spending all my life in a gaelscoil i doubt ill get the a that everyone says..oh you go to an irish school ur guarenteed an a1! NOT TRUE! the qustions were horrible and the essay yesterday were vile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Cearrbhach aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! where was clare!!

Isnt cearrbhach easy enuf though and the 2nd question should be easy enuf if you had bealoideas covered for stair na gaelige. I mentioned the use of the numbers 3 and 7 , which is so easy to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Beautiful paper. An Bhean óg question was great, went very well. Cearrbhach..did Death's importance, got loads on that as well, remembered it since it's my favourite story of the lot. An Triail 'Both mothers fail. Discuss'. AWESOME!! That was grand as well. Níl Aon Ní is the easiest poem for me, and Faoiseamh isn't much different, so that was fine too..

Hate Maigdiléana and úirchill, but did úirchill, I know it better. Messed up the meadarcht question, but the other 2 were fine. Stair was awful, managed a bit on teanga ceilteach, then wrote a few lines for Pearse...had mian points in though.

I think I might have managed the A2 I want. Just maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I thought it would never end......because i was bored.It was really easy.Everything was very standard.No weird questions,just straight forward stuff.Ithink both papers and the aural were quite simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Isnt cearrbhach easy enuf though and the 2nd question should be easy enuf if you had bealoideas covered for stair na gaelige. I mentioned the use of the numbers 3 and 7 , which is so easy to talk about.
    Yeah, that might just've scraped me through that question. I said that the story was dochreidte and how it was simplíocht, i.e. maith vs old, laidir vs lág etc. Still wasn't happy with that answer at all though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Hate it. Only questions I didn't mind where Nil Aon Ni, Faoiseamh, practically the same no?
    Uirchill was alright too. Bombed completely on An Triail, couldn't think of a mother besides Maires! Like how stupid could I get? Just got about a page on her character, didn't study it so it's my own fault.

Pros sucked aswell, didn't like the questions. Done An Bhean Og, struggled to get over a page written, it was muck aswell, there is only so many times you can talk about her loneliness. Cearrbhach? Muck also, wasn't expecting it, only glanced over my notes. All in all, I'd say I might pass by the skin of my teeth, hopefully!

Question, on Stair Na Gaeilge, Na Danta Gra Cuirte, is that by any chance the same as plain old Danta gra? If not, well I have more reason to cry....

The other An triail question was fairly easy though worry and shame pretty much run the whole story along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

MadSambuka wrote:
    Im so annoyed with that paper! did so much for it! and after spending all my life in a gaelscoil i doubt ill get the a that everyone says..oh you go to an irish school ur guarenteed an a1! NOT TRUE! the qustions were horrible and the essay yesterday were vile!
    Well it's a guaranteed B1.

You have to remember that you automatically get close to 100% for the cluastuicint and béalscrúdú - that's 250/600 marks ~41%.

And the standard is quite a bit higher from all Irish schools I'd imagine, so even if you thought you didn't do too great, chances are you did a lot better than the average person from an English speaking school who thought they did bad.

MadSambuka wrote:

As JC 2K3 said you'll be fine!Your idea of doing badly in Irish is different to that of others!You'll be happy come the results.

I have to say I totally agree with you on the whole Irish school-definite A1 thing.Its bullsh1t. I spent my primary school years in a Gaelscoil then went to an english secondary,and do you know what people were saying to me this morning>Sure you're fluent-you don't need to do any study for paper 2.I don't see how that works.Yes a person who is fluent can say what they want...but waht good is that if they don't know what to say?I mean being fluent didn't help me answer on meath na Gaeilge,knowing the info did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Cant really argue with that paper. The usual kinda questions came up although I hadnt gone over stair very well so probably lost out there.

Poetry questions were very fair, as was an triail, and short stories were fine too. Dont think I did brilliantly but good enough. Cathal O' Searcaigh certainly got good publicity out of the paper.

Actually wasnt this the first without anything on fhiannaiocht or ruraiocht one in the stair like in any form at all?

Actually wasnt this the first without anything on fhiannaiocht or ruraiocht one in the stair like in any form at all?
    I have to say I never actually looked through the stair section of the papers looking to see if this was the case because frankly I always assumed that it was!It seems logical that they'd always put up either a section asking about them or otherwise ask you to talk about a story belonging to either.I was surprised today.

Just realised that I wrote about Mairtin O direan instead of martin o cathaiwhatever that came up. There goes 70 marks altogether on that paper.

Spank wrote:
    Just realised that I wrote about Mairtin O direan instead of martin o cathaiwhatever that came up. There goes 70 marks altogether on that paper.

What section is this in? Theres no question worth 70 marks on the paper anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

The paper went fairly well for me, though I was annoyed to see An Cearrbhach Mac Cába as the 15 marker since I'd done little or no revision for it. Still managed a decent enough answer on béaloideas though.
    I was surprised to see Níl aon Ní back as a 15 marker too. So much for the Department being predictable eh? Regardless I did a good answer on codarsnacht.

Uirchill, faoiseamh, an bhean óg and an triail were fine. Admittedly stair na teanga was the mankiest its been in years. Apparently some guy on 2FM last night said that An gaeilge mar theanga cheilteach was a definite. Thank God I found out this morning in time. Gotta start listening to 2FM more often!

That ends Irish then. I'm pretty confident I got at least a B1

What section is this in? Theres no question worth 70 marks on the paper anyways.
    No I mean that 30 and 40 for the An Triail q, my answer was waffle :(

Can anyone clear up my Danta Gra q a bit back? I'm doing a post mortem to try and see if I passed, it's making me pissed off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭qwertyface

GKRandom wrote:
    Question 2 - Dirbheathaisnéisí

(b) Dirbheathaisnéisí Roghnach

I answered this using 'A Thig Ná Tit Orm', please tell me I'm alright for marks?

um...isn't the "roghnach" question for people who are repeating who are talking about poems not on our course? I think you're only meant to do it if you do the danta rognach too... maybe Im wrong tho, just what I heard!

Advertisement