Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper Two (H) - The Fallout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

qwertyface wrote:
    um...isn't the "roghnach" question for people who are repeating who are talking about poems not on our course? I think you're only meant to do it if you do the danta rognach too... maybe Im wrong tho, just what I heard!
    Well it's an option on the paper so they can't mark you down for taking it. There's absolutely nothing on the paper to suggest that you can't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

The paper was great! Best paper I could have hoped for.

Bean Óg - easy

Cearrbhach - the béaloidis question was lovely

A Thig Ná Tit Orm - bunscoil question made me want to cry with joy

Poems were on the page. Enough said.

Stair the Gaeilge - na hAnnála, meath na Gaeilge and an Ghaeilge mar teanga Ceilteach was always going to come up

I felt I was pressed for time though. I didn't have time to read over all my answers but all in all, Irish has been great this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

maybe not on the paper but id say theyve closed that loophole somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cossyx

qwertyface wrote:
    um...isn't the "roghnach" question for people who are repeating who are talking about poems not on our course? I think you're only meant to do it if you do the danta rognach too... maybe Im wrong tho, just what I heard!

Yeah I thought the roghnach question was for people repeating aswell, that's what our teacher told us. But to be honest I don't know if I'd trust her..She told us not to study anything that came up on the 2006 paper too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

That was actually grand. Freaked when I saw Cearrbhach and Níl Aon, but did OK I think. Áibhéil and greann are characteristics of Béaloideas, right?

Roghnach is for anyone who wants it, there's nothing to stop you going for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

obl wrote:
    That was actually grand. Freaked when I saw Cearrbhach and Níl Aon, but did OK I think. Áibhéil and greann are characteristics of Béaloideas, right?

Yep. I used greann and simplíocht

Yes I used simple caracters and story and the use of the numbers 7 and 3

obl wrote:

Roghnach is for anyone who wants it, there's nothing to stop you going for it.

Yes but he used the prescribed text for his roghnach question. Is tHAT ALLOWED?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Spank wrote:
    Question, on Stair Na Gaeilge, Na Danta Gra Cuirte, is that by any chance the same as plain old Danta gra? If not, well I have more reason to cry....
    ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

The questions on Níl Aon Ní and Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa were basically the same, plus there were two Cathal Ó Searcaigh poems, as well as a story, a poem, a Stair na Gaeilge AND a listening reference to Máire Mhac an tSaoi.

I thought it was fine though. Drew on general knowledge of Gaeilge mar Theanga Ceilteach to help me out of what could have been a dodgy Stair section.

Úirchill an Chreagáin was easy, to balance the language. So that was well worth cramming.

• Advertisement

Emm Id check my irish book but i gave it in.:)(NO MORE IRISH) But i think the danta gra is the older one which is mocking and stuff. Amhran gra is the later , genuine love one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭innocenteyesuk

I thought the An Triail questions were kinda nasty as was An Cearrbhach Mac Caba coming up again. Didn't study it so I could only write a few lines on it. Will get me probably 2 marks! Ha!

Never in a million years saw Maigdileana coming up, was happy about that!

Pass poems were very very easy this year. Very handy marks.

Liked the Lig Sinn i gCathu question, was nice enough. Surprised Fiche Blian didn't turn up as compulsory.

Stair was a bit hit and miss. Wrote about Maire Mhac an tSaoi and ha Anala. Didn't know any of the others. Was tempted to write a piece about Deirdre Brennan but didn't in the end. I would only have written about my Chemistry teacher who has the same name!

Overall, I'd say I got a C.

But AN triail had a question about the effect of worry and shame on the story! Thats so simple.Nearly every action in that play was influenced by those in one way or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

I've looked up my textbook Foinse, no mention of An Danta Gra cuirte, so here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

GKRandom wrote:
    Question 2 - Dirbheathaisnéisí

(b) Dirbheathaisnéisí Roghnach

I answered this using 'A Thig Ná Tit Orm', please tell me I'm alright for marks?

a thig ná tit orm is only on the ainmnithe course, and my teacher said there's a completely different list for the roghnach, which is only given to teachers. most teachers don't even explain what it is, they just tell people to ignore it. it's nothing to do with repeating students, and as far as i know, it's not an option if you've only done the ainmnithe course (in prose, poetry and the other texts).
    but...since that's not mentioned on the paper, it probably doesn't matter that much to examiners, and they'll surely give you your marks for your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

^It does matter, it's harsh, but they'll get 0 marks for it, there's another thread about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roonels

lets be honest it was a very fair paper, no surprises really, im just praying that danta gra cuirte is the same as the regular danta gra, other than that a thig ná tit was piss, bunscoil was really handy, maigdileana was always coming up, bean og was standard, cearrbhach was a little tricky of them but first question about an Bás was pretty nice, i just talked about how the story developed because of his input, only 15 marks so nothing major anywho, and the listening was a piece of piss, wat a joke!(not complaining honest!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

qwertyface wrote:

Bad news...... you won't get any marks. A few of the lads tried that in the mocks and got nothing.

Thought the paper was actually lovely. If you knew about béaloidis from stair na gaeilge you'd be grand for cearrbhach mc cába. I go to a Gaelcholáiste so it was easy to bluff through. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

Roonels wrote:
    the listening was a piece of piss, wat a joke!(not complaining honest!)

absolutely! :D i thought that should've been the ordinary level listening, there wasn't one bit of it that was in any way challenging.

Worst thing about the listening was that in past years, there has always been a bit of comedy in it. Not this year though :(
    Only thing that came close to complicated was the last bit about the "hucéir". They talked painfully slowly too.

• Advertisement

Did anyone get "An Fhaice Mhór" for where Pádraig Ó Conaire's statue was moved from? Pretty much the only one I didn't get.

Also, there was comedy, "www -PONC- ranganna -PONC- com".

I missed the telephone number I was laughing so hard.

And the argument about woman politicians and the one with the couple arguing about films and cinema were funny too.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Did anyone get "An Fhaice Mhór" for where Pádraig Ó Conaire's statue was moved from? Pretty much the only one I didn't get.

Also, there was comedy, "www -PONC- ranganna -PONC- com".

I missed the telephone number I was laughing so hard.

And the argument about woman politicians and the one with the couple arguing about films and cinema were funny too.
    Yeah, but they didn't have that one moment where you break down. I got the Fhaiche Mhór because I'm familiar with Galway- its Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I just got 'Lár na cathrach'. Ah well, they did say it.

Which mothers did people write on for An Triail?
    Me: Máire and Bean Uí Chathasaigh.

A Thig ná tit orm ftw!
    That guy is a dirty fecker. After he visited our school the only thing he apparently remembered was one of the irish teachers because she had big boobs!

I wrote about the 2 people who had the biggest effect on him: his father, Dainín and his bro, Dónaill.

carlowboy wrote:
    Yeah, but they didn't have that one moment where you break down.
    I broke down during the PONC part, most of the class seemed to too....

Well the last few years were far funnier. Maybe I was concentrating too hard ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I'm never happy with a test unless it goes perfectly well, and this is the first one that I can surely say that about. That question on Uirchill I had answered on last week (old exam q very like it), the same question twice on codarsnacht, the question on An Triail was lovely and I was able to use nearly every one of my fancy words, Cearrbhach Mac Caba on the bealoideas is piss, and the question on Coilleach was great too. Stair Na Teanga, I's say I got 15 on the Teanga Ceillteach, and maybe about 10 on Athbheochan.
    All in all nice exam, and definitely an A1. Woot!

@Obl: Same mate. I suppose the only other option I can think of is Bean Ui Chinsealaigh and there wouldn't be much to write about, maybe the "d'fheadfa gur coirpeach i". . .actually thats all I can think of. Anyhow theres the obvious linking between Maire and Maire Bean, it would be foolish to choose anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

People ran out of time? i had a good half an hour spare though not the hour i had yesterday. And yes i did all the questions i needed.

same I was outta there by 12.

I was surprised to see Cearrbhach. but I learnt off the traits of bealoideas for stair so i was grand. Nil aon Ni came up I was so shocked! Its basically the same poem as faoiseamh so that annoyed me. An Triail..didn't understand the first question well enough to risk doing it so my triail q is only 2 or so pgs :(

thank god for pearse and me doing history :D i sort of made it up ("bhi scoil ag pearse i rath fearnain") but it was grand. feeling positive abotu my result now, maybe a high C?

Stair was fine. Meath an gaelige was simple, the education system(no irish), english being needed for work and the famine. Pretty simple and did that with irish as celtic language which is always easy enough. Just mention a few other celtic languages , the ones still being used and a few traits of celtic languges like urus,seimhius and the forainmeacha reamhfhocail.

Also is it just me or is irish the hardest subject to read back over if you had the time even more so than english.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Spank wrote:
    ????

OH GOD PLEASE TELL ME DAN GRA CUIRTE IS THE SAME AS DAN GRA:eek:

Advertisement