Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography

Options
  • 08-06-2007 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Anyone as lost as to what to study as I am? I'm slightly anxcious about this exam, with there only being one paper to go on...

What are you guys prepairing for?

I was thinking that there could be a question where you actually contrast two regions, that never came up last year.
    Any other guesses/predictions/whatever you want to call them?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Physical: landform question and rejuvenation (is that how u spell it?! should probably learn that before i sit the exam!). that's all im doing for physical, i know tectonics and karst well enough if disaster struck

Regional: hard to predict, there's nothing u can really leave out, but its easy enough

Elective 4: not too many questions they can actually ask you on this, only around 7 really. definately think there'l be something on why MNC's locate in a certain place, France and the environment

Geoecology: Biomes, biomes, biomes! human interaction and characteristics. leaving out soil!

i think its quite easy to cut down geography

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

sternn wrote:
    What are you guys prepairing for?

Any eventuality!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭wba88

same prob as OP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭maggie18x

hey any of ye guys doin the human enviroment?or culture and identity elective?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Mcj metroid

Our teacher gave is soil geocology essays but what are the chances of the boime not coming up? It's a big risk ont to study what makes you so sure(I'm not giving out or anything i just want to know why everyone thinks it won't come up)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I've studied rivers and plate tectonics, Mezzogiorno, India and Ireland- physical, primary, sec and tertiary..and tourism, bit of human processes too. Em, population geography, settlements, problems, urban blahhhh and for my option, culture and identity, I will be re-cramming language and relgion, and praying for language.

I want an A1...it could happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I need a good mark in Geo for points but don't think it's going to happen, have really done little if any work for it.

I'd be happy with a B2 now :)

The paper will be full of variety so what you do know make sure you know it perfectly and you should have enough questions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

Our teacher gave is soil geocology essays but what are the chances of the boime not coming up? It's a big risk ont to study what makes you so sure(I'm not giving out or anything i just want to know why everyone thinks it won't come up)
    It isn't a risk. I am only doing biomes, our teaher didn't do soils and he is an advising examminer. A biome question will be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I don't know, there's nothing difficult.....if something comes up in regional....waffle and also for human elective. If people know diagrams and labelling and reading graphs they should get 60/80 minimum for section 1. The same for A parts of regional, elective, physical which is another 60. So 120+ marks for labelling/reading graphs. That's 24% of the whole exam including project, if you got 16/20% in Project, that means you've passed Higher Level and havent touched the Option or B and C parts that might seem awkward.

Maybe this will help relieve some stress for this exam. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Geography has loads of choice , so stop worrying ppl.Basically youll only answer 4 out of 24 questions and will have at least a choice of three in each section, more for the options if you did more than one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

im worried about regions :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 -blondie-

I got an A1 in the mocks but I seem to have forgotten practically EVERYTHING! Not good at all!

I'd love rocks to come up but its very doubtful so I might just leave that out completly! Plate tectonics I'd say might come up in the physical geography and maybe fluvial processes

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I got a B3 in the mocks, but looking for an A. I have done a lot of work since then...but I am still just slightly unprepaired for regions.

If you do Economic activities, language/population changes...that ok?

I cant remember..am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

It isn't a risk. I am only doing biomes, our teaher didn't do soils and he is an advising examminer. A biome question will be there.
    Spot on. It will be a question on human interference + 2 soil questions. Guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭melsman

once a question on either characteristics of a biome of human interference in a biome comes up ill be very happy, i could write forever and the amazon! our teacher thinks the same, although we do have loads of notes on soil, they are far too confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

melsman wrote:
    once a question on either characteristics of a biome of human interference in a biome comes up ill be very happy, i could write forever and the amazon! our teacher thinks the same, although we do have loads of notes on soil, they are far too confusing.
    Forget about soil, one of the two biome questions will be on atleast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭melsman

geography should be alright so!
    i can see the isostacy question, examining the NDP 00-06, a theoretical model explaining land use, and the unwise development of a natural resource comin up.
    did anyone here have the mock paper that asked about the moho and gutenberg discontinuity? they better not throw up anything ridiculous like that monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The new Geog syllabus, makes geog a subject where huge parts of the course can be left out. Previously, from what I've heard was learn 6 or 7 essays and you have your A1. It's far from that now.

I am a bit worried about geog, but not for the usual reasons. It is my best subject, 92% in the mocks, but I'm worried that I might not get the A1 again and a B2 at 83% would be a drop in 15 points, which I don't want. For an A1 in geog you need to know the course inside out and be able to answer in a cohesive and straight to the point way. Always think in SRP's.

Anyway It'll all be done 3 days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I need a good mark in Geo for points but don't think it's going to happen, have really done little if any work for it.

I'd be happy with a B2 now :)

The paper will be full of variety so what you do know make sure you know it perfectly and you should have enough questions :)
    What world do you live on where a b2 isnt a good mark? Doctor world?

Advertisement