Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What rank would you want to be?

• 08-06-2007 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Ok,discounting pay, what rank would you choose to be in the army i.e. a fighting army?

Would you just be a grunt or maybe a NCO up to a captain so you could be in the trenches?

Or a major,colonel,general so you could command entire armies?

Personally i beleive i would be a good mid level officer 1st lieutenant or maybe a captain asi could probably control my area of operations quite well without having to have to look at the big picture of supplying an entire army.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have to say, I'm rather looking forward to my upcoming Captaincy. Master of my domain, but still a tactical level.

1LT (Platoon Leader) was a hell of a lot of fun, mind.

At the lower level, Section commander is probably good fun too. You get some command influence, but you're still junior enough that you get to blow things up yourself.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

In the Irish Defence Forces (discounting officers) I'd say Pte or Sgt.

Worse is probably a Cpl, you get sh*t from everyone. And when one of the lads f*cks up you get it in the neck too.

Pte (with more than about 3yrs service) is cushy because your 'paid from the neck down', and your f*ck ups reflect more on the cpl than you.

Senior NCO ranks and it has to go the the Sgt.Maj. He's done it all, no duties and is pretty much king of the hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Lt I Can't Believe It's Not A Real Colonel. Nobody quite knows what you do. You don't quite know what you do. It's all fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Judt you arrive with a clipboard and pen looking to see someone important, and everyone plays the infamous "hide and seek"!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

as someone mentioned.......it aint really the rank - rather the demonier (sp) if you look like you should be there - your grand

i'd like to be high rank offr - they get the good food mostly - get shot first too tho - if your'all captured!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

as we always said you cant beat 3 stars 3 stripes or 3 pips they have the easiest jobs ,pte sgt capt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Cant beat the three stripes.

No one wants to fcuk with you ptes cos there afraid what youll do to them.
    Officers cos there afraid youll make a show of them.:D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The best ranks are in 3's:
    3 stars
    3 stripes
    3 pips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

do ye think the pay is good as a solider in the non-comissioned ranks of the pdf

i think pte would be the best while your young of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Cpl. in ARW....why not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Much prefer to be a Sgt in the ARW

Advertisement