Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy fresh fish

Options
  • 08-06-2007 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Where is your preferred shop for fresh fish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Deasey's on highstreet - across from Kings head. Lovely staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Galway Bay Seafood ,down the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Deasys on High Street, too. Although Dunnes in Westside have a good fish counter.

In a couple of weeks it'll be mackeral fresh from the water!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

There is a market stall on Saturday that does really nice frsh fish. Great selection too..

Fey! wrote:
    Deasys on High Street, too. Although Dunnes in Westside have a good fish counter.

In a couple of weeks it'll be mackeral fresh from the water!

Hey Fey any idea when there will be mackeral in the bay? Would love to take my son fishing. He'd be guaranteed to catch a few :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Vagrant

There's a great place on Dominic Street, I think it's called Mermaid, nice selection and a cool lobster tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mermaid or the market

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've got a few smelly mackerel from today here in in a bag if ya want :D

On a more seirous note, call down to Galway bay seafood there at the docks. If you buy over €50 of fish, you get a 10% discount from the hooker around the corner :p

Mermaid is up on Helen Street (in Galway directions, between the Bierhaus and Cookes on the left hand side).

DaveG - I'm heading down to Nimmos Pier at about 1 o'clock tomorrow for the high tide to try my luck for the mackeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

daveg wrote:
    Hey Fey any idea when there will be mackeral in the bay? Would love to take my son fishing. He'd be guaranteed to catch a few :)

No idea of the bay but we did catch some at blackhead last week. Girlfriend got one the very first cast of her life, so could be a good spot for your son.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Fey! wrote:
    Mermaid is up on Helen Street (in Galway directions, between the Bierhaus and Cookes on the left hand side).
    Henry St.

Thanks Robbo; was having a blonde moment there!

Hey Joebloggs4817 where is blackhead?
    Fey! wrote:
    DaveG - I'm heading down to Nimmos Pier at about 1 o'clock tomorrow for the high tide to try my luck for the mackeral.

Let us know how you get on...

No idea of the bay but we did catch some at blackhead last week. Girlfriend got one the very first cast of her life, so could be a good spot for your son.

If you happen to come across some w4nkers in a fast white boat thingy yoke, be sure to try and clock them over the head with the lead weight from your fishing line :p

daveg wrote:
    Let us know how you get on...

Just got the 1 mackeral. 1 guy got a sea bass, and another got an eel!

Daveg; by any chance were you down there with your kids?

OP; sorry for wandering so far OT.

I wouldn't be a fan of fish that came out of the water at the dock's area. I know the meat from the fish doesn't ever some in contact with the water, but even handling the little feckers after they've been swimming around in that sh1t/oil/whatever :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Don't McDonaghs still have a fish counter? I'd wager that'd be worth a look.. quite famous for it isnt it?

DRakE wrote:
    Don't McDonaghs still have a fish counter?

Nope

JohnCleary wrote:
    I wouldn't be a fan of fish that came out of the water at the dock's area. I know the meat from the fish doesn't ever some in contact with the water, but even handling the little feckers after they've been swimming around in that sh1t/oil/whatever :eek:

Actually, the water down there hasn't been too bad since Mutton island came online; haven't you noticed that the town doesn't stink as soon as the tide goes out anymore?

Fey! wrote:
    Actually, the water down there hasn't been too bad since Mutton island came online; haven't you noticed that the town doesn't stink as soon as the tide goes out anymore?

It's not *as* bad as it used to be, but it's still bad. There's still raw sewage being pumped in there, and still lot's of other contaminents (sp?), for example oil. I know this because I haul ropes that have been sitting in dock water quite a bit :o

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote:
    It's not *as* bad as it used to be, but it's still bad. There's still raw sewage being pumped in there, and still lot's of other contaminents (sp?), for example oil. I know this because I haul ropes that have been sitting in dock water quite a bit :o

Salthill has just got it's blue flag again so surely sewage is no longer pumped into Galway bay?

Hi Fey no it wasn't me down there. Got the rods out of the attic last night. Might try and get out this weekend. What bait were you using Fey? Feathers?

daveg wrote:
    Salthill has just got it's blue flag again so surely sewage is no longer pumped into Galway bay?

By the time the sewage has gotten out that far it's well diluted. On low tide you'll see the pipes opposite the Spanish Arch - Sewage will pumping out there.

Also (On any tide IIRC) take a stroll down to the lay-by for the docks, look out at the rocks (Beside the RNLI station) and just wait for a nice big turd to come flying out

DaveG - I used feathers myself.

Advertisement