Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFX DVI output to old VGA monitor?

Options
  • 08-06-2007 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

I have just got a new gfx card through (just started working reviewing them) and I have an old fashioned big grey box VGA monitor and on the card it has a DVI output. I have seen on the net cables on their own that convert from DVI to VGA and others that say you need a digital decoding box to make the signal work.

Is it possible to just use the convert the plug cable or is some kind of decoder needed?

(I know someone in my line of work should know but ive been running on an old vga card until now and have just started GFX card reviews so it wasnt an issue before).

Just want to state I REALLY dont want to buy a new monitor.

Please help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The ports of the graphics card are DVI-I based.

DVI-I consists of DVI-D {Digital} & DVI-A {Analogue}.

With an appropriate adapter you can use a VGA display on a DVI equipped graphics card, all the adapter does is re-wire the connector so you are outputting DVI-A to VGA.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tedstokes168

Great, thanks for the info.

If it matters what the card is about if the output is DVI-D or A the
    card is a ATI 2900 HD (PCI-E).

Please let me know if this changes the possibility of it working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You can pretty much say 99.999% of all PC graphics cards are DVI-I based. One's that only supported DVI-D or DVI-A are very rare to the point where people no longer make the distinction in DVI-I/D/A and simply call it DVI.

So essentially it doesn't matter what graphics card you have.

The ATI 2900XT also has special DVI ports in that they include a custom HDMI adapter (which you should have gotten with it) that also provides audio through the HDMI connection via a built in sound chip on the graphics card.

You can use a regular DVI-HDMI cable as well with it but you wont get audio over the link as you have to use the custom DVI-HDMI adapter that comes in the box with it.

{HDMI is a digital interface like DVI-D found on HDTV's but also carries digital audio}

By the way if you don't mind answering who are you reviewing this card for ?

Sure I dont mind answering, I want to state first for the benefit of admins
    that I am NOT advertising in anyway and it is not intended as an adverisement. if you want to read reviews for the card you can find loads online.

Just so I dont get admins annoyed I have sent you a private message with the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No offense, but you don't exactly seem the most knowladgeable about gfx cards. How did you get into this position?

• Advertisement

I dont mind answering that question at all. I have been working
    reviewing games for a number of mags for the last few years
    but (you will find this silly) because I have cats I cant have a
    flatscreen monitor otherwise the next time they sit on it to lay
    down they would knock the thing flying when its freestanding!

I have only just started reviewing GFX cards themselves and
    every one I have had before has been an old fashioned type
    so I didnt know if I would need to finally upgrade or not.

Hope this answers your question

Advertisement