Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3700+ or opty170

Options
  • 08-06-2007 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

Anyone see these ?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=313937

Lots of cheap AMD chips around of late i guess there getting ready for there next CPU.

Just wondering if it be worth spending the €130 on this and taking out my old 3700+ which is clocked at 2580mhz ish.

Or maybe building a new machine around the 170, all that i would need is PSU, Motherboard and the chip and then i would have 3 working machines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Or you could get a core2duo system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

jasus, thats a good price for that cpu. I paid that in sterling for it at xmas. Yeah you will see a huge difference in adding on a opty. And they overclock great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Was thinking of going core2duo my self but it be a-lot cheaper to just get a opty170, motherboard and PSU is all i need and i would have 3 computers. The motherboard would be cheap, and PSU i would buy a good one.

With the Core2duo i would need to buy ram. Its an option but i just have to c what kind of funds i have. I was thinking of spending maybe €300 max.

Have monitor, keyboard, mouse, and video card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm going to be selling my DFI Expert in a few weeks. They have become very hard to find on the net, but if you are sticking with skt939 for the moment then it is the best possible motherboard for overclocking.

Have a look around at some reviews of it and then PM me if you are interested. It's actually killing me to upgrade away from it as there are a load of extra BIOS and motherboard layout features on it that i'm going to miss. Like the power and reset buttons being on the board itself so you can boot the motherboard outside of the case without having to use the dodgy screwdriver trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Also if you pair the opty with a good graphics card you wont notice the difference between tha c2d in games untill you hit very high resolutions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement