Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking 4 laptops

Options
  • 08-06-2007 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi
    I need to network four laptops for gaming but I don't want to buy any new hardware. If I connect all four laptops to this (using the four port switch) will they be able to communicate or will it just allow the laptops to share an internet connection?
    Thanks,
    Kev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ViDuchie

That'll do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Yes that will share the internet connection.. set all the laptops to receive an ip address from DHCP......To network (like you asked)Setting up a workgroup is easy. In Windows XP, right-click on My Computer, select System Properties| Computer Name | Change, and enter the appropriate computer name and workgroup (in Windows 2000, within System Properties you'll choose Network Identification and then click Properties to provide a workgroup name). Make sure that every computer on your home network references the same workgroup, in order to grant access to all other workgroup machines.Dont forget to share folders files etc etc You can easily google the exact way its done..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

JohnnieM wrote:
    Make sure that every computer on your home network references the same workgroup, in order to grant access to all other workgroup machines.Dont forget to share folders files etc etc You can easily google the exact way its done..

For gaming purposes this is not needed. File sharing yes maybe but I amn't sure if they want that. Workgroups is just a windows technology.

Do you even want to share internet access because if not all you need is a basic switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

I Thought that ...I'm not a gamer..but he did ask..:D

Advertisement