Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspiciously similiar songs

Options
  • 08-06-2007 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

You know the ones I mean, where you hear it, or some element of it, and instantly feel the band or artists have ripped it off wholesale from somewhere.

Red Hot Chili Peppers-Dani California, ripping off Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers-Mary Jane's Last Dance

The Killers-When You Were Young, ripping off Bruce Springsteen-Born to Run (especially the guitar)

Any other glaring similarities? (I know there's a handful of Nirvana songs that are guilty of this...)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Surely a band is allowed to plagarise itself though? I mean what would bands like...Status Quo, Coldplay or Snow Patrol do otherwise?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Yer one out of the sugababes, yknow the one with the weird name> Yeah, her new song as the exact same music as Lenny Kravitz's 'It Ain't Over Til Its Over'...not that it's her fault. I doubt anyone has even heard Kravitz's origional song.

I think the Killer's have a lot of simalarities to Springsteen (they're the only two artists I know of that can tell a story in their songs like they do) but I don't think that the Killers copied off Bruce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Driver 8 wrote:
    Surely a band is allowed to plagarise itself though? I mean what would bands like...Status Quo, Coldplay or Snow Patrol do otherwise?;)
    Not exist? And rightly so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dandy Warhols bohemian like you (vodafone ad) and Stones Jumping Jack Flash or was it another tune?

George Harrison of course My Sweet Lord which filtched the melody from He's So Fine.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

the George Harrison one is a case of a successful lawsuit resulting from the similarity tho...

And where are those Nirvana examples. I seem to remember being ranted at by a punk fan whenever i mentioned them because they notoriously ripped off so many riffs...

Also, wasn't there reports of UB40 wanting to sue Paris Hilton for song similarities. But her legal woes are a whole other discussion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Sufjan Stevens- Come on fell the Illinoise

The start of it kinda sounds like the intro to Blue Rhondo A la Turk by Dave Brubeck. But the instrumental break is the exact same as 'Close To me' by The Cure. Spa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Feeder - Buck Rogers
    The Veronicas - Revolution

IDENTICAL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Yer one out of the sugababes, yknow the one with the weird name> Yeah, her new song as the exact same music as Lenny Kravitz's 'It Ain't Over Til Its Over'...not that it's her fault. I doubt anyone has even heard Kravitz's origional song.

Yeah, but that's a sample, not a rip-off. They would have got permission. That Lenny Kravitz song is hardly a forgotten indie gem or anything, most people would have heard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

Tiga - Far From Home and Electronic - Getting The Message
    Avril Lavigne - girlfriend and That Micky song by whatsherface..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

manics new single
    last james bond theme song (chris cornell??)

strikingly similar imo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I think the Killer's have a lot of simalarities to Springsteen (they're the only two artists I know of that can tell a story in their songs like they do) but I don't think that the Killers copied off Bruce.
    Wasn't the whole premise of the second Killers album Springsteen + Beard = Credibility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 feckless

Band in sounding like someone else shocker! Call the cops!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 feckless

Libel! Call my lawyer!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

mike65 wrote:
    Dandy Warhols bohemian like you (vodafone ad) and Stones Jumping Jack Flash or was it another tune?

George Harrison of course My Sweet Lord which filtched the melody from He's So Fine.

Mike.

It was Brown Sugar

And re Harrison - just in case y'havn't seen it, he was able to laugh at it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIjlUMV6Is

There was also U2 ripping off 'The Sun Always Shines on TV' in the middle of 'Beautiful Day'. I'm also pretty sure that if lawyers for Laura Branigan turned up at Jarvis Cockers door asking for a few bob from the royalties of Disco 2000 in regard to her song 'Gloria' he'd have little to argue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Radiohead's 'Creep' always creeped me out....I'm *sure* the chorus theme is lifted from some late-50's / early 60's movie theme.....I just can't figure out which one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

Nirvana - 'smells like teen spirit' uses the same chords as Boston's 'more than a feeling'; when you listen to the 2 songs the similarities are uncanny. For those of you unfamiliar with 'more than a feeling', it was the song playing in the background when Tony soprano has a heart attack in his car.
    The white stripes song- in the video theres all these pictures created out of lego, can someone help me out with the name? That song was a total ripp-off of lithuim by Nirvana. In the end we all just end up ripping off each other if we don't play or do something new.
    Rap and hip-hop got around this problem by rephrasing the whole thing; Now its no longer called 'ripping somebody off' its called 'sampling'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Driver 8 wrote:

I don't listen to the radio or pay much attention to the charts, so was quite shocked to find out that Coldplay and Snow Patrol weren't the same band :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

The white stripes song- in the video theres all these pictures created out of lego, can someone help me out with the name? That song was a total ripp-off of lithuim by Nirvana. In the end we all just end up ripping off each other if we don't play or do something new.

The song you're looking for, i think, is 'Fell in Love with a Girl'.

Fact is regarding plagarism/homage that it's almost inevitable. I remember watching (and the more muso heads here can shed more light on this, i'm sure) a fine show on Channel 4 recently about music and presented by a chap called Howard Goodall.

Anyway, his thing was that basically a chord progression became fashionable in the early 20th century which comprised of the Root Chord, the Dominant chord and the Sub-Dominant. You, me and the world (and every wannabe guitar player) knows them as the C, F, G progression (assuming you play in the key of C). For a bit of variety you can chuck in an A minor chord, but that's, scarily, a sizeable percentage of modern music.

Thus, the only thing that marks out a lot of songs is the 'riff' or the 'melody but in a lot of cases the chords will often sound like 'that other song'

I think the award for the 'longest period between original tune and inevitable rip-off' goes to the Village People, who took the chord progression from Pachobels Canon in D and turned it into Go West. Then The Farm went and took it for 'Altogether Now'...

oh - and this is my favourite plagarism case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whatever_(song)

Neil Innes, along with Eric Idle did a spoof Beatles band called The Rutles, and one of their songs was ripped of by Gallagher Sr; Innes successfully sued. (The Beatles themselves never wanted to sue Innes; George Harrison was particularly good mates with Idle & Innes, hence the earlier You Tube Clip, his offering of money to produce The Life of Brian, his appearance in The Rutles movie and the fact that Eric Idle wrote the sleeve notes for the two Traveling Wilburys albums)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Nirvana - 'smells like teen spirit' uses the same chords as Boston's 'more than a feeling'
    I must have a listen to the Boston song. I can't place the similarity in my head. About ten years ago I remember being told by a big fan of The Pixies that Smells Like Teen Spirit was basically a rip off of U-Mass from Trompe Le Monde. I listened to the two songs and they are very similar with the loud/quiet dynamics and the main and chorus riffs. I think Cobain even admitted in interviews that he was basically just trying to write a Pixies song at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

A song on Linkin Park's new album sounds quite similar to U2's With or Without You.

Comparison:
    http://rockmusic.ytmnd.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Xylem

Elastica's- Waking Up, sounds a lot like, The Stranglers- No More Heroes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Xylem wrote:
    Elastica's- Waking Up, sounds a lot like, The Stranglers- No More Heroes.
    On the same album you'll note Connection sounds enough like Three Girl Rumba by Wire to be successfully sued.

Still like the album though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The start of Never Ever by the All Saints is pretty much the same as Amazing Grace. Pighead forgave them though as it was a cracking tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

The start of Future Days by Can and the start of La femme d'argent by Air.. well they both have much the same rhythm going

The Robots from Kraftwerk and Get Innocuous from LCD Soundsystem

In both cases two mighty German bands showing how much of an influence they have had on music over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Oldies but goodies......

"Start" by The Jam = "Taxman" by the Beatles (I know I know everyone has ripped off the Beatles at some point but this one's a tad obvious!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

The first time I really noticed similar songs was a couple of years ago.

AC/DC - Rock 'N Roll Damnation - The riff is a complete carbon copy of Thin Lizzy's Rosalie. IDENTICAL! thieving bastards! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Nirvana-Come as you are-Killing Joke-Eighties
    Dave Grorl repaid Killing Joke for borring the tune by druming on a recent album of thiers
    Manic's-If you tollerate this- The Stranglers-Duchees
    Its drasticly slowed down but there is definatly a strong similarity

Advertisement