Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspiciously similiar songs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Evanescence's 'Field of Innocence' and Radiohead's 'Street Spirit' have similar guitar melodies.

Michael Jackson's 'Give In to Me' and Dream Theater's 'Endless Sacrifice' have a nearly identical guitar riff.

The Fray 'How to Save a Life' and Pink's 'Who Knew?' sound hugely similar to my ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

eamon234 wrote:
    "Start" by The Jam = "Taxman" by the Beatles

Beck's 'New pollution' owes an awful lot to taxman.

I remember reading somewhere that Coldplay got permission to use the riff off Kreftwerk's 'computerliebe' after Chris Martin wrote a begging letter to Krartwerk.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Since the Beatles were mentioned, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Oasis.
    Whenever one of their songs bores through my ears, I wonder why they don't simply cover the songs as they were originaly written instead of dumbing them down.
    Then again I haven't heard a lot of their songs -Ireland being a democracy and all-, but the few I've heard were just washed-down Beatles material.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Also, the Pirates of the Caribbean main theme sounds a lot like Nightwish's 'Ghost Love Score'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Steve Miller's "homage" to Joe Walsh's 'Rocky Mountain Way' - 'The Stake'.
    (Nobody loves you...like the way I do...)
    Complete with talkbox in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Oink wrote:
    Since the Beatles were mentioned, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Oasis.
    Whenever one of their songs bores through my ears, I wonder why they don't simply cover the songs as they were originaly written instead of dumbing them down.
    Then again I haven't heard a lot of their songs -Ireland being a democracy and all-, but the few I've heard were just washed-down Beatles material.

read my wikipedia link above....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Pat Benatar - Love is a battlefield Vs. Lost prophets - A town called...

hmm where have i heard that lost prophets bass line before?

to save you's from listening to complete muck go to 1:20 in that lost prophets video.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

read my wikipedia link above....:D

I.rest.my.case.

Muppets. Muppets I tells ya.

----

Anyhoo. Carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

The jam's 'In the city' is awfuly like a punk somg around at the same time. I'm pretty sure its by the Ramones. The guitar is quite quirky so it's easily noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭melsman

Oink wrote:
    I.rest.my.case.

Muppets. Muppets I tells ya.

----

Anyhoo. Carry on.

ahem not the beatles they ripped off there sonny jim...... oasis are more like the stone roses and the who

and i dont even want to start on the word "muppet" - stop reading city slicker!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

humanji wrote:
    I don't listen to the radio or pay much attention to the charts, so was quite shocked to find out that Coldplay and Snow Patrol weren't the same band :o

musically they are, they just exist in different physical entities. :D
    eamon234 wrote:

"Start" by The Jam = "Taxman" by the Beatles (I know I know everyone has ripped off the Beatles at some point but this one's a tad obvious!)

Also Seagull by Ride. I think it's accepted to rip this off now, like the bo diddley riff or the funky drummer beat.

Also:

New York City cops by The Strokes and Lust for life by Iggy Pop

I'm so Green by Can and Fool's Gold by the Stone Roses

Town called Malice by the Jam - You can't hurry Love by the Supremes

There is a song on the Amy Winehouse album that is basically Ain't no mountain high enough (Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terell version)

1999 by Prince and Susudio(?) by Phil Collins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

"Jesus of Suburbia" by Green Day is very similar to Phil Lynotts "Dear Miss Lonely hearts"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Anto McC wrote:
    "Jesus of Suburbia" by Green Day is very similar to Phil Lynotts "Dear Miss Lonely hearts"

Jesus of Suburbia "is very similar" to three songs (that I'm aware of)

In order of rip-offage in the actual song itself:-

Mott The Hoople - All The Young Dudes
    Bryan Adams - Summer of '69
    Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire

The most blatant one that springs to mind is The Stereophonics song Same Size Feet (Album released 2000) and Oasis' Hindu Times (Single released 2003)

Hunt them down, have a listen if you don't believe me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tjsniper

If you play guitar you'll notice oasis - wonderwall and mad world -whatshisface are the same chords at a tempo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

judas101 wrote:
    The jam's 'In the city' is awfuly like a punk somg around at the same time. I'm pretty sure its by the Ramones. The guitar is quite quirky so it's easily noticed.

I suspect it's one of the earlier songs on Never Mind The Bollocks, actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Hypnotoad

tjsniper wrote:
    If you play guitar you'll notice oasis - wonderwall and mad world -whatshisface are the same chords at a tempo

Michael Andrews and Gary Jules ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Just watching the Killers here on Glastonbury.
    Maybe an asinine observation but isn't Brandon Flowers basically
    a 21rst century reincarnation of Gary Numan.
    Similar vibe as far as I (40+) am concerned

--sorry if this is trollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

judas101 wrote:
    That would be Holidays in the Sun by the Sex Pistols , The Jam were non too pleased by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭emoKILLER

dont know if it has already been mentioned here, but kid rock - american bad ass, is just sad but true by metallica with different lyrics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

City of The Damned (part of Jesus of Suburbia) is the exact same as Summer of 69.

Can't believe that veronica's song is so similar to Buck Rogers :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

"To The Sea" by Razorlight borrows very heavily from "Marquee Moon" by Television

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Thread in Dance Forum quite a while ago re Daft Punk's "sampling" (whether thats what it was or not is another issue):
    Dance & Electronic & DJing Forum
    Comparison of their Songs (Link in thread above aswell):
    Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 9,132 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I hope people realise that songs are an incredibly simplistic musical genre that usually just involve chucking a couple of chord progressions together, some lyrics and the odd riff. It's inevitable that there are going to be similarities. By all means point them out but don't chastise people for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

sound a like songs...well here's two for ya...

oasis's Lyla is a rip off of...Street fighting man, by the rolling stones.

pulp's Disco 2000 is a rip off of....Gloria by laura brannigan.

liars and cheaters:mad: :rolleyes: :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 iamplu

Yer one out of the sugababes, yknow the one with the weird name> Yeah, her new song as the exact same music as Lenny Kravitz's 'It Ain't Over Til Its Over'...not that it's her fault. I doubt anyone has even heard Kravitz's origional song.

I think the Killer's have a lot of simalarities to Springsteen (they're the only two artists I know of that can tell a story in their songs like they do) but I don't think that the Killers copied off Bruce.

its called sampling!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

That new U2 song sounds really like Itchykoo Park - It's All Too Beautiful

Don1 wrote:

there's a new U2 song out??...god help us:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don1 wrote:

Thats by the Small Faces, Don.

The song is Itchycoo Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Don1 wrote:
    Huh? The new U2 song is actually a cover version of John Lennon's "Instant Karma"

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    Huh? The new U2 song is actually a cover version of John Lennon's "Instant Karma"

i reckon lennon is spinning in his grave...

that amnesty international album is 80% atrocious:cool:

Advertisement