Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspiciously similiar songs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

A bit like his solo output so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

noby wrote:
    A bit like his solo output so.

his first two solo albums were top notch...thereafter his output was patchy

So two out of eight albums, and three 'concept' albums. Close enough to 80% for me.

noby wrote:
    So two out of eight albums, and three 'concept' albums. Close enough to 80% for me.

three concept??.......rock n'roll was one what were the other two then??

Well, there was the Unfinished Music, and the Wedding album.
    Look, it was only a cheap joke, so I'm not getting into a big John lennon discussion. I don't mind the first two albums myself, but I wouldn't be a great fan of him.

• Advertisement

noby wrote:
    Look, it was only a cheap joke, so I'm not getting into a big John lennon discussion.

OK man relax :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

'Talisman' by Air sounds just like an instrumental version of 'You Do Something To Me' by Paul Weller.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

"
    Nirvana - 'smells like teen spirit' uses the same chords as Boston's 'more than a feeling'; when you listen to the 2 songs the similarities are uncanny. For those of you unfamiliar with 'more than a feeling', it was the song playing in the background when Tony soprano has a heart attack in his car."

Very different chords there lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭brow_601

bad seed by metallica and your time has come by audioslave
    the riff at the start of both is the same, but both are good songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Da Funky Munky

The was a song Girls Aloud had out a few years back that sounded note for note like Oasis "Wonderwall" when it got to the chorus. Anyone remember it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

Surprised nobody's mentioned Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles and Setting Suns by Chemicals/Noel Gallagher. Come to think, Chemicals used that drumbeat several times, along with a few other bands. So much for Ringo being sh!te.

Also:

Charlatans - Only One I Know = Deep Purple - Hush

Verve - Bittersweet Symphony = Rolling Stones - The Last Time (although they did end up having to pay royalties iirc, would love to know who told Richard Ashcroft they'd get away with that.)

U2 - Vertigo = The Supremes - You Just Keep Me Hanging On. Also anyone else notice the similarities between Bad and Joy Division's Atmosphere?

Half of Second Coming by Stone Roses is a blatant lift from Led Zeppelin, specifically (I think) Black Dog, No Quarter and Dazed & Confused

Then again, we shouldn't really expect originality in rock anymore; it just makes it all the sweeter when when you do find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Blur - MOR = David Bowie - Boys Keep Swinging. Although I'm sure it's deliberate. But I can't find any credits in the sleeve notes.

That God-awful Mundy - July = Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel - Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jimbo808

Yea, the next person to suggest a song for plaguerism that is clearly sampling gets a mighty SLAP! ;)

Also, I think there's a bit of confusion going on here between plaguerism and era. ALOT of artists all jumped on the same technology at the same time, i.e. Moog, Synth Drums (808 :) ), vocoding (and still do) hence alot of similiar sounding records.

Some great comparisons though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

eamon234 wrote:
    Oldies but goodies......

"Start" by The Jam = "Taxman" by the Beatles (I know I know everyone has ripped off the Beatles at some point but this one's a tad obvious!)
    Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner....

The start of Pump It Up by Elvis Costello and The Attractions is quite similar to the, ahem, start of Start by The Jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

The was a song Girls Aloud had out a few years back that sounded note for note like Oasis "Wonderwall" when it got to the chorus. Anyone remember it?

Life got cold. Quite right; mind you, if there's anyone who's never gonna sue for plagiarism, it's Gallagher Sr...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Greenday manage to rip 3 or 4 songs off.
    I am not sure the name of the song, its threally long one they had out.
    It contains music similar to : Brian Adams :Summer of 69, Johnny Cash: ring of fire and the most noticeable Black Sabbath: Children of the grave.
    I am sure there are more and this has probably been picked up on loads of times.

Maroon 5: Sunday morning = Virtual Insanity Jamiroquai (piano at start)
    There is a girls aloud one which is doing my head in but I can't for the life of me remember it. (its not the wonderwall one)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Yer one out of the sugababes, yknow the one with the weird name> Yeah, her new song as the exact same music as Lenny Kravitz's 'It Ain't Over Til Its Over'...not that it's her fault. I doubt anyone has even heard Kravitz's origional song.

What? :confused:

A Boards babbie I'd say. That song was absolutely everywhere back in 91/92 direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Edwin Birdsong - Cola Bottle Baby

Daft Punk - Harder Better Faster Stronger

Of course Kanye West also copied Daft Punk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jimbo808

Zabbo, I'm backing you up on this one. Please click the following link and then cry into your musical foundations!:

http://palmsout.blogspot.com/2007/02/sample-wednesday-27-daft-punk.html

Advertisement