Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spacebox Vs. Cabin.

• 08-06-2007 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Firstly, at a loss as to which section this is best placed in so mods, please move if necesary.

Looking at the option of placing a Spacebox in the back garden as opposed to going with a shomera/ timber cabin. It would be utilised as an additional living space.
    The spacebox should come in under 20k - with everything included. Although its a small unit (18m2). I'm thinking it may still be better value than the current deals that are to be had on timber structures though?

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,290 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They look very cute, though I don't see any evidence they would do a single unit, have they confirmed that? Would it look right in your garden, it might look a bit 'space age' and synthetic? Would it bring down the planning authorities on you where a timber building would be regarded as a 'shed'. I have a notion that if you put in a water supply it becomes a dwelling - I might be talking out of my hat there, its just something I vaguely remember. I wonder would it age gracefully.

I bought a good quality garden shed (with a porch!) which has double glazed door and windows and is completely insulated, and its a great office, snug and dry, I've had computer stuff in it for about 6 or 7 years and no problems. Its 5m x3m and cost me about a third of what you are proposing, but it is a shed and doesn't look as smart as say a Shoma. You get what you pay for, but I reckon it was good value. Incidentally 3m wide isn't really all that wide, my place is 3 m wide and has worktops down each side - desk width, and there is just room to swing round on an office chair between. When you get someone else in also sitting it starts to feel a tad crowded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I think the original idea came from guys using Freight Containers as mini homes ....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/uk_news/england/1979151.stm

Advertisement